Do we have any fiction readers?

maddmaxx

Now that winter approaches my reading goes way up as my cycling goes down.  While I do read non fiction, mostly research for some interest or another, I also find that I like to submerge myself is some simple entertainment and I treat books much like movies.  For example I look forward to Ugly Bob's next book as I enjoy his style (not his style mind you, just his writing style.  ;))

I'm happy this week as 1 November brought me the latest in a series of books that I enjoy.  They are the stories of Alexis Carew, heir to a land holding on a colonized planet, who chooses to join the Navy for various reasons.  She, much like Ugly Bob's hero is a bit unschooled in the life she is entering and it takes a series of books, 5 so far, to follow her growing "into the world".

I'm afraid I'm a romantic, with tales of pirates and scoundrels being among my favorites.

I recommend Robin Hobb.  The Liveship Traders Trilogy is good epic fantasy with lots of pirates and scoundrels.  Of course, I would start with the Farseer Trilogy if you think you might be interested in reading the entire Realm of the Elderlings story, but it is not essential to enjoying Liveship Traders, and you can always go back and read the first trilogy after.  They are only very loosely connected., or seem so until you reach the final trilogy.

RH-infographic-email-732x515.jpg

• Heart 1

I don't do sci-fi.  My interest is mysteries.  I'm catching up on some old unread John Grisham books via books on CD from the library.  I'm also reading a long series by Stuart Woods.  I'm always waiting for Lee Childs next work.  I like to throw in a bio from a figure from history of a war history book from time to time.

I generally read anything and everything. I also find magazines are a good supplement for when time is an issue, since I can read an article or two if I only have a small amount of time. Brandon Sanderson's new book comes out next week, so I will likely be all over that through X-mas time.

Tom

One of my favorite current fiction writers is Louise Penny who authors the Inspector Gamache mystery series.   The books are mysteries, but much more layered than your typical "cozy" mystery.  I love her descriptions of places and people and her writing style.

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

One of my favorite current fiction writers is Louise Penny who authors the Inspector Gamache mystery series.   The books are mysteries, but much more layered than your typical "cozy" mystery.  I love her descriptions of places and people and her writing style.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll check her out.

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'll check her out.

The books are in a series, and although each can be standalone, you get a much better sense of the characters if you start with the first (even though I think some of the later ones are the better part of the series).

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The books are in a series, and although each can be standalone, you get a much better sense of the characters if you start with the first (even though I think some of the later ones are the better part of the series).

I usually check that out before I start with a author.  If it's a series I will usually go back to 2008 or so and start there.  Much earlier and I lose interest.