MTB shoes

dinneR

My SIDIs are 6 years old. They are still in pretty good condition, but showing some wear. I've worn them a lot. They are comfortable, well made shoes. They are not good for any hike-a-bike sections. The heel is too narrow and I roll my ankle often. I'm considering a new pair of shoes for trail riding. Thinking about these options below, Bontrager and Lake. I'd keep the SIDIs for road and gravel rides. All of my bikes have the same pedals, Time ATAC. Anyone use either of these and have feedback? Or other options? I could not find anything locally, so I'd have to order online which I do not like doing. I could just skip it and suck it up. 

13688_A_1_Katan_Shoe?wid=1360&hei=1020&fmt=pjpeg&qlt=40,1&iccEmbed=0&cache=on,on

or these

LK-MX176X-BK-ANGLE.jpg?resize=1500px:1500px&output-quality=100

• Heart 1

I have a pair of the Lakes. I bought them because they came in size 50 wide. I haven't worn them much because I like my sandals and my Shimanos but they are ready to go when I need them. They were not as comfortable as I hoped but they really only have about sixty miles on them.

Sorry no help on either.

I have a pair of Giro Privateers that I like.  I also have some Shimano ( don't recall the model) but the carbon sole on them is so stiff when I had to hike a bike my heel would slide out as the sole had zero flex.

I really like the fit and feel of the Giro's and the sole has just enough give that walking in them is more comfortable. I've never experienced any heel role in them either.

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Sorry no help on either.

I have a pair of Giro Privateers that I like.  I also have some Shimano ( don't recall the model) but the carbon sole on them is so stiff when I had to hike a bike my heel would slide out as the sole had zero flex.

I really like the fit and feel of the Giro's and the sole has just enough give that walking in them is more comfortable. I've never experienced any heel role in them either.

I have the same Giros and agree with Chris's opinion of them. They have a nylon sole. Stiff but cheaper than carbon. I've got a set of cheap Shimanos that I don't really like. I might try them some more this year.

Damn. I’m looking for answers too!

I have a pair of Specialized BG Comp MTB shoes that I have used and loved for about 10 years now. They’ve been bombproof despite much abuse and many, many submergings. They’re fairly walk-friendly. The loop on the heel for pulling the shoes on has broken on both shoes and after last fall’s muddy, soggy ride with TK, one of the straps finally separated from the Velcro on it’s underside. (Gorilla Glue made it right again) They’re still functional, but when I wore them the other day, for the first time, they were uncomfortable. I guess it’s time.

I’m kinda finicky about bike shoes and everything I’m seeing has “laces with a knob”. I am a die-hard fan of “two Velcro straps and a ratchet strap” because I like to leave the midsole strap a little loose, but cinch the heel cup down so my foot doesn’t slosh around or feel like the heel is going to pull out. A closure system that runs the full length of the shoe doesn’t allow you to adjust different areas differently.

Looks like the Bontrager ones would allow for that, if that’s a concern of yours as well as mine.

I know Specialized and Giro both do “Wide”, if you need to consider that.

(That was helpful, huh?)

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Damn. I’m looking for answers too!

I have a pair of Specialized BG Comp MTB shoes that I have used and loved for about 10 years now. They’ve been bombproof despite much abuse and many, many submergings. They’re fairly walk-friendly. The loop on the heel for pulling the shoes on has broken on both shoes and after last fall’s muddy, soggy ride with TK, one of the straps finally separated from the Velcro on it’s underside. (Gorilla Glue made it right again) They’re still functional, but when I wore them the other day, for the first time, they were uncomfortable. I guess it’s time.

I’m kinda finicky about bike shoes and everything I’m seeing has “laces with a knob”. I am a die-hard fan of “two Velcro straps and a ratchet strap” because I like to leave the midsole strap a little loose, but cinch the heel cup down so my foot doesn’t slosh around or feel like the heel is going to pull out. A closure system that runs the full length of the shoe doesn’t allow you to adjust different areas differently.

Looks like the Bontrager ones would allow for that, if that’s a concern of yours as well as mine.

I know Specialized and Giro both do “Wide”, if you need to consider that.

(That was helpful, huh?)

Specialized stills makes the comp mtb shoe. They look a lot like the Bontragers but they are $50 more expensive.

specialized-comp-mtb-shoes-246175-13.jpg

35 minutes ago, dennis said:

Specialized stills makes the comp mtb shoe. They look a lot like the Bontragers but they are $50 more expensive.

Yeah, I saw that, but was skeptical of the boa closure - don’t know how well it would work filled with mud.  (The knob part). Everyone I’ve heard that’s used the boa loves it, but..... (Old dogs, new tricks....) Then it’s a question of “Is the Trek house brand as good as the Specialized house brand?” I’m sure it is, but having had a real positive experience with the Specialized ones, I lean that way.

Giro makes what I want, and I have the road shoe version of this and I’m very happy with them.

6 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah, I saw that, but was skeptical of the boa closure - don’t know how well it would work filled with mud.  (The knob part). Everyone I’ve heard that’s used the boa loves it, but..... (Old dogs, new tricks....) Then it’s a question of “Is the Trek house brand as good as the Specialized house brand?” I’m sure it is, but having had a real positive experience with the Specialized ones, I lean that way.

Giro makes what I want, and I have the road shoe version of this and I’m very happy with them.

I thought I could find Giro's somewhere in town. We have four shops that sell shoes. All four sell Five Tens. Not one sells Giro. Specialized vs Trek, seems like a toss up. 

41 minutes ago, dennis said:

I thought I could find Giro's somewhere in town. We have four shops that sell shoes. All four sell Five Tens. Not one sells Giro. Specialized vs Trek, seems like a toss up. 

Id you are considering online purchases, maybe consider Performance Bike as they  carry Giro and have a great return policy.  

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I has these and like 'em alot :) but seems their no longer available, but if you can find a similar model you may like them too.

https://www.rei.com/product/796189/pearl-izumi-select-mountain-bike-shoes-mens

My wife rode the road on SPD mtn pedals and has those exact shoes as well.  She liked them fine but is on proper road shoes & pedals now.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, smudge said:

Don't get Specialized MTB shoes! They have a hard sole. When you are falling on a wet boardwalk type bridge, your foot will slide out from under you and you will tear you ACL and MCL!! 

Dunno.....I wore mine last year on the waterfall epic with TK and never had an issue clambering over wet, mossy rocks for a couple of hour’s worth of exploring the waterfall.....

I think it might be Operator Error.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, smudge said:

Don't get Specialized MTB shoes! They have a hard sole. When you are falling on a wet boardwalk type bridge, your foot will slide out from under you and you will tear you ACL and MCL!! 

Don't all MTB shoes have a hard sole? Every pair I have owned does. Some are better for walking than others though. 

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

Don't all MTB shoes have a hard sole? Every pair I have owned does. Some are better for walking than others though. 

All higher end mtn bike shoes have a stiff sole but some are stiffer than others.  Carbon soles are great for XC but are horrible to run or walk in.  Certain glass soles offer some flex to aid in walking.

If you think you may be walking some maybe look at shoes more designed for enduro or trail riding as they offer some flex in the toe and lugs for better traction.

3 hours ago, dennis said:

I mean the rubber on the bottom is a hard rubber, not at all sticky. I am always slipping off the pedals (with pins) also. I do a lot better with hiking boots/shoes (Salomons). But I like the stiff sole of the Specialized shoes. 

10 minutes ago, smudge said:

I mean the rubber on the bottom is a hard rubber, not at all sticky. I am always slipping off the pedals (with pins) also. I do a lot better with hiking boots/shoes (Salomons). But I like the stiff sole of the Specialized shoes. 

Sounds like you should try Five tens. High friction footwear created by climbers. Super sticky rubber.

1 minute ago, smudge said:

I've been eyeing them up for a while actually.  :) 

I have a pair of Freeriders. I'll wear them while using Race Face AEffect pedals. Pretty grippy. I like the Freeriders, but I think my next pair will have a velcro strap to cover the laces like the Hellcats. They are great shoes for shorter rides of less than 2 hours. Anything longer and I prefer a stiffer soul of a traditional clipless shoe.

rbpda2-2.jpg

HELLCAT

• Heart 1