Pecan coffee

jsharr

When I worked in Philadelphia, the coffee shop on the ground floor used to have a roasted pecan coffee, with whole pecans that were roasted and ground along with the coffee.  It was one of my favorite things there - once in a while I would splurge on a bag to take home.  Enjoy.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

When I worked in Philadelphia, the coffee shop on the ground floor used to have a roasted pecan coffee, with whole pecans that were roasted and ground along with the coffee.  It was one of my favorite things there - once in a while I would splurge on a bag to take home.  Enjoy.

I generally don't like flavored coffee, but that sounds interesting.  So, they did the grinding ahead of time? Or could you get whole roasted beans & pecan pieces and the then grind yourself?  Is that something we could do ourselves with already roasted beans and some ratio of roasted pecans?  

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I generally don't like flavored coffee, but that sounds interesting.  So, they did the grinding ahead of time? Or could you get whole roasted beans & pecan pieces and the then grind yourself?  Is that something we could do ourselves with already roasted beans and some ratio of roasted pecans?  

Their beans came in clear bags and you could see the pieces (halves) in there.  I suppose I don't really know whether they really roasted along with the beans - maybe the pecans would burn in the time it takes to roast the coffee, and they need to be roasted separately.

I'm sure you could roast your own pecans and toss a few in the grinder with the beans (IIRC I tried it once with raw pecans and it wasn't the same).  I don't know if there were also additional flavors added.  The pecan flavor was subtle but noticeable - not like a typical hazelnut coffee, say.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

This is pre ground and I think it is too fine a grind for drip.  I am not sure how they get the puh khan flavor into it.  I will ask the kids at school that run the coffee bar. 

My wife is on staff at a school that specializes in students who for whatever reason do not fit well into traditional education.  They have many programs to help the more challenged students adapt.  One of the things they do is offer some vocational opportunities.  They have a coffee bar that is run by students, and I believe she bought the coffee from them that they get direct from the roaster.  I am sure that the roaster sells whole bean as well, but we do not have a good coffee grinder, so pre ground suits our needs best.

The students also make and sell pizza for lunch, run a car wash and make projects in wood shop to sell, all aimed at helping them learn to work and be productive after high school.  Some stay an extra year or so in the 18+ program.  Our older son is a senior there this year and they are helping us guide him into a career post high school.  He does not want to go to college, so we are visiting welding schools.  He will most likely end up in a 5 year union school run by the Pipe fitters union in Tulsa Oklahoma.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

Their beans came in clear bags and you could see the pieces (halves) in there.  I suppose I don't really know whether they really roasted along with the beans - maybe the pecans would burn in the time it takes to roast the coffee, and they need to be roasted separately.

I'm sure you could roast your own pecans and toss a few in the grinder with the beans (IIRC I tried it once with raw pecans and it wasn't the same).  I don't know if there were also additional flavors added.  The pecan flavor was subtle but noticeable - not like a typical hazelnut coffee, say.

This definitely sounds interesting.  Same with the hazelnuts.  It seems most "flavored" coffees are just that -- coffee with flavor added.  This grinding the roasted pecans in with the coffee beans seems much more the "real deal" and would be preferable to me.  "Subtle" is way better than "in your face" with hot coffee.  I don't mind flavoring up my coffee drinks - an example being my summer espresso affogatos! - but usually, the flavored stuff is just too flavored for me.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This definitely sounds interesting.  Same with the hazelnuts.  It seems most "flavored" coffees are just that -- coffee with flavor added.  This grinding the roasted pecans in with the coffee beans seems much more the "real deal" and would be preferable to me.  "Subtle" is way better than "in your face" with hot coffee.  I don't mind flavoring up my coffee drinks - an example being my summer espresso affogatos! - but usually, the flavored stuff is just too flavored for me.

Looks like it can be done in a variety of ways.  Most commercial roasters probably use oils, but you can just use spice or nuts or whatever and mix them in with whole beans and grind them.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Flavored-Coffee-Bean.html

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-flavored-coffee-164436

Here is the company that made the stuff I am drinking.  You should call them and ask how they made it.

http://www.addisoncoffee.com/

• Awesome 1