South Carolina BBQ

Dottleshead

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

@AirwickWithCheese I need the facts.  Do the fine folks in SC have their own spin on BBQ or are you basically following the NC BBQ style?  I went to Lexington, NC for the vinegar based BBQ and I wondered if your sauce was tomato based or vinegar based?

Yeah, it’s different. Yellow mustard based with vinegar and brown sugar. NC is vinegar based, with western NC adding some tomato.

• Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I'm a Texas BBQ fan myself... though it's all good. You read that @jsharr? I just gave a plug to your home state. I also think the Cowboys at least make the NFC championship game.

Gawd that was painful.

Remember to put on your blue jeans before you put on your chaps.  And do not wear your spurs inside, unless it is Saturday night and you are expecting some lovin.

• Heart 1

As to BBQ, I am an omnicarnivore.  I will eat it all.  Texas, Kansas City, Carolina, hell, I would try NYC BBQ.   I am not a BBQ purist like I am with Texas Red.  As long as it is meat, slow cooked at low heat with some smoke, I am good.  I will try new sauces and sides, I am not overly fond of the really spicy sauces, but I do like a nice spicy hot link every now and then.  

My go to is sliced brisket and sausage two meat combo with cole slaw and bbq beans, some pickles, banana peppers, maybe some relish and onions, a slice of toast and sauce on the side.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My go to is sliced brisket and sausage two meat combo with cole slaw and bbq beans, some pickles, banana peppers, maybe some relish and onions, a slice of toast and sauce on the side.

You and I are brothers from different mothers. Here’s a pic of my brisket and pulled pork. I don’t sauce them as they don’t need it. Dry rub and meat,  flavored with smoke. Made tender by the low n slow.

EDF8266A-CFDD-4058-9B7F-3609CD69ABE2.jpeg

7A174526-EC22-48AD-B0B4-DAF2E0D6C7DB.jpeg

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

You and I are brothers from different mothers. Here’s a pic of my brisket and pulled pork. I don’t sauce them as they don’t need it. Dry rub and meat,  flavored with smoke. Made tender by the low n slow.

EDF8266A-CFDD-4058-9B7F-3609CD69ABE2.jpeg

7A174526-EC22-48AD-B0B4-DAF2E0D6C7DB.jpeg

Damn, If I were to switch teams, you would be in trouble.

3 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I know this. You've shared this historical fact 4 times a year for the last 6 years; 3 times a year pre-2013.    :)

Like many things about me, my memory is very short.  Also, I am a Texican.  We repeat things often and loudly.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

The best BBQ joint in Greensburg Pa has a sauce they call "vinegar"

I asked about it and was told it's a Carolina mopping sauce.

It is vinegary, slightly spicy, has a redish color, and is my favorite sauce. I would like a bit more heat, but this stuff brings out the flavor of the meat, especially ribs.

They do not cook with sauce, and the meat is good without sauce, but better with... 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

Remember to put on your blue jeans before you put on your chaps.  And do not wear your spurs inside, unless it is Saturday night and you are expecting some lovin.

Our community college has signs at each door asking patrons to remove their spurs before entering. That is probably something many of you have not experienced.

• Heart 1

We've tried bar-b-que in many different places and have liked most of what we tried.  What we do not like is roast beef simply covered in bar-b-que sauce and called bar-b-que. I also would rather have my coleslaw on the side, rather than in the bar-b-que sandwich, as is done in some areas.

• Awesome 2

58 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We've tried bar-b-que in many different places and have liked most of what we tried.  What we do not like is roast beef simply covered in bar-b-que sauce and called bar-b-que. I also would rather have my coleslaw on the side, rather than in the bar-b-que sandwich, as is done in some areas.

I like slaw on pulled pork sandwiches if they have a good vinegar sauce.

• Heart 1