Ever Blast a Guy To His Boss

ChrisL

Exit the office to find the guy standing there & probably heard the whole thing?

Ah shit well it’s done now and everything I said was spot on & our boss agrees.  It’s gonna make life interesting though as I work with him closely and he has the same title as me...

Out of frustration I told our boss he’s ROAD, (retired on active duty).  The guy doesn’t give a shit anymore.

Should be fun!

• Heart 1

Don't put yourself in a position where the ROAD worker can get anything on you he could twist to make you look bad to the bosses.

When a guy named Fred, with a bachelor's degree in chemistry, was chief chemist of a minor industrial process development research department which then expanded and hired me with a masters from IIT and three Ph.D's, he felt so threatened by the fact he wasn't in the same league as us and sometimes couldn't understand why we chose to take our research in certain directions, he became an interfering, nasty pain who often overruled our plans. For example, when we'd learn than the current approach at a chemical synthesis wasn't going to work and told him we had another way that might work, he'd overrule us, complain that we gave up to soon, and told us to keep trying with the current approach - not understanding why it wasn't working when we had figured it out.

I organized a coup with the three Ph.D's.  We had a secret meeting with the Vice President of Operations, explained our work was being hindered by Fred, the result of which was that Fred was "promoted" to Chief Plant Chemist and I was made the new Chief Chemist of Process Development Research.

I had to work with Fred whenever one of my projects reached the plant. He was never very friendly and I always had the feeling he knew we had plotted against him and I was likely to be the chief plotter since I replaced him as Chief Research Chemist.  I was always very careful to make sure I made no comments about other workers and bosses, cut no corners, etc. that he could learn about.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It usually isn’t effective complaining to the boss about someone you report to, at least if the boss made the decision to put the person into the position. The boss is already committed, reversing course is admitting he made a mistake. Or so I have found.

I tend to agree with you and I actually don’t bitch much. We are both Directors who report to a VP so i don’t report to him. I’m actually taking on more of his responsibilities as it’s easier for me to just do certain functions of his job than try to get him to do it as it slows me down waiting for him. People also see they get results from me/my team so come to me instead of him.
Our boss then asked me WTF are you doing these things for so I unloaded on him.  Our boss is actually a good dude and if he has one fault it’s he gives people too many chances.  He really just needs to cut the guy loose but he won’t.  

I saw the guy about an hour after and he brought pizza for my team (there was an office wide pizza lunch so he brought us some & didn’t just treat us to lunch). I thanked him but he seemed kinda dejected... 

The only person I bitch about a boss (and most of the bosses who I worked for, were good except for 2), is to dearie and 1-2 very close long-standing friends, of which 1 of them lives in another province

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We always used the term RIP - Retired In Place. :D

(That may or may not apply to me.) :whistle:

Actually they are sort of putting us old guys oot to pasture which is a nice bennie of succession planning. It can be a little annoying but you get over it. :D

My aim as much as possible, was to build and leave behind decent accomplishments and goodwill, so I could get good work references for the next job.

I've been in complex situations where some of the workplaces were unionized with bumping rights.  

Let's put it this way:  with certain union shenangigans,  I needed to show my competence, skill, efficiency over and over..that I was a worthwhile candidate and team player for qualified roles....  and I did. At this time, there is someone who is disgruntled at me.  And it comes out, at large meetings of 30 people present, where time is spent with her needling with questions that are boring 90% of others in attendance.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It usually isn’t effective complaining to the boss about someone you report to, at least if the boss made the decision to put the person into the position. The boss is already committed, reversing course is admitting he made a mistake. Or so I have found.

Yeah, this.