Jellystone here we come!

Dottleshead

It’s all working out, then. Have a great time! 
Last time we were there, we rode the dirt road out to Lone Star geyser for a picnic lunch, and it erupted for a solid half hour while we were there. A very cool memory. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Well i buy the rack or I rent.  The racks we want are all back ordered.  It would seem biking and outdoor activities are on the rise.

Can you borrow a rack from somebody who isn’t going anywhere?

Well i buy the rack or I rent.  The racks we want are all back ordered.  It would seem biking and outdoor activities are on the rise.

With outdoor activities on the rise will you be able to rent bikes? Can you rent, borrow, or steal a rack just for vacation?

36 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

With outdoor activities on the rise will you be able to rent bikes? Can you rent, borrow, or steal a rack just for vacation?

Yes we could rent a bike rack that holds 60lb bikes or if I can get lucky, we may actually buy one.  We are on the fence about whether we want to spend the big money on a rack up front before said vacation.  And because nobody I know owns one (except one guy that has one that was a fit problem for my bike) and I'm no thief (although if it were sitting in your front yard I might consider it -- wait -- on second thought I'd probably grab all your firewood instead) we may just go this route.  And it's a good idea about renting a rack but while my ebike is ok for off roading -- hers is not.  So while I'm all up for bringing them -- I'm afraid were going to have to at least rent some for a day or two so that we can ride the cool stuff.  So do I rent a bike rack for a week, take bikes that we'll use half the time, and still end up renting other bikes or do we just rent the type of bike we want when we need it? I guess that would depend on if I can find a place here that rents a rack that we are looking for.  Either that I or I need to spend an outrageous sum of cash to buy one if I can even find one.  I will have to do this too eventually but that seems rushed too.  Even though it's though it's pricy to rent, its more convenient and perhaps better to do some real world investigating at the bike shops to see what racks they have had good experience with.  I can research and read all the hype and watch all the crap on the internet but in my experience that only goes so far. According to Dennis, e-bikes are a thing in Jackson so I suspect they have some experience and input with racks.  Sometimes these vacation destinations also have deals on selling old ones.  If I can find something used that works for us and doesn't cost $700, I'd do it.  I will tell you that financially staying a week in Jackson Hole isn't for the timid and if I can get away without buying a rack -- I'd be very happy.  Then again, I told my wife I'm all up for just making this a car and day hiking trip.  We'll see how it plays out.

TL;DR

• Heart 1

I’ve never had a bad experience with any rack. The first couple racks I had were strap on racks that held the bikes by the top tube. I think I bought them at a yard sale for $5.00. We would put three bikes on the front of my van and two bikes on the back. Later we got a hitch rack that held four bikes by the top tube. I don’t like hauling bikes that way but it worked. Next I bought a two bike hitch rack that held the bikes by the wheels. I really like that rack but sometimes I have to haul more bikes. We bought a platform rack for my wife’s car that has bike loops for four bikes. When you are not hauling bikes you can haul luggage, coolers, dead deer, whatever on that rack. It’s very strong and very heavy. When we rented three cabins and had the kids and grandkids on vacation I hauled three kayaks on top of my car and pulled my flatbed trailer with ten bikes and a kid trailer on it. Most of the time I ride from home and don’t need to haul bikes or I throw my bike in the back so it’s out of sight and locked up if I stop anywhere.

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

Yes we could rent a bike rack that holds 60lb bikes or if I can get lucky, we may actually buy one.  We are on the fence about whether we want to spend the big money on a rack up front before said vacation.  And because nobody I know owns one (except one guy that has one that was a fit problem for my bike) and I'm no thief (although if it were sitting in your front yard I might consider it -- wait -- on second thought I'd probably grab all your firewood instead) we may just go this route.  And it's a good idea about renting a rack but while my ebike is ok for off roading -- hers is not.  So while I'm all up for bringing them -- I'm afraid were going to have to at least rent some for a day or two so that we can ride the cool stuff.  So do I rent a bike rack for a week, take bikes that we'll use half the time, and still end up renting other bikes or do we just rent the type of bike we want when we need it? I guess that would depend on if I can find a place here that rents a rack that we are looking for.  Either that I or I need to spend an outrageous sum of cash to buy one if I can even find one.  I will have to do this too eventually but that seems rushed too.  Even though it's though it's pricy to rent, its more convenient and perhaps better to do some real world investigating at the bike shops to see what racks they have had good experience with.  I can research and read all the hype and watch all the crap on the internet but in my experience that only goes so far. According to Dennis, e-bikes are a thing in Jackson so I suspect they have some experience and input with racks.  Sometimes these vacation destinations also have deals on selling old ones.  If I can find something used that works for us and doesn't cost $700, I'd do it.  I will tell you that financially staying a week in Jackson Hole isn't for the timid and if I can get away without buying a rack -- I'd be very happy.  Then again, I told my wife I'm all up for just making this a car and day hiking trip.  We'll see how it plays out.

TL;DR

I've got a cheap Thule four bike 1 1/4" hitch rack from 2005 or so. I hauled four Trek bikes - mostly MTB - each 25-30 lbs each - on long trips including a run from VA to Cape Cod over some yucky roads around NYC.  No issues at all with 100+ lbs of bikes on my little Accord.

Can't you do some weight reductions ahead of putting the bikes on the rack?  Remove the batteries (several pounds each), remove all four wheels (several more pounds), fenders, racks, etc.?  All that can stow in the back of the car and leave the hitch with far less than your 60lbs/bike and well within almost any rack's limits.. 

Similar to this:

image.png.466aa2731c4466d311f118a85336fb14.png

Toss em on the roof and run a couple ratchet straps through the doors. Put an outdoor lounge chair cushion  on the roof to protect the paint, cause it's a new car & all.

Running the ratchet straps with the doors open makes for much more convenient getting in and out of the car.

Glad I could help.  ;)

• Haha 2

So this is our thinking on the Rona virus deal.  We will be practicing social distancing at all times.  No exceptions.  We are traveling 14 hours each way head to and from our destination in the bubble of our car.  We plan on staying a night to break up the drive both ways and then staying in a condo in Jackson Hole for 7 days.  For the condo, it means the even though another party or couple or individual will have stayed there before us -- apparently they are doing extra cleaning and we plan on giving it our own cleaning to greatly decrease the odds.  We also plan on eating in every night so we have to go to the grocery store very much as if she was at home. All of our activities will be sight seeing from within our car, hiking in the wilderness, or riding bikes -- the last two being outdoor activities.

I feel like we can control our enviornment to a great degree once we arrive in Jackson.  My biggest concern and weakest link in all this is the bookend stays at the start and end of our trips. We prefer to stay in a VRBO or AirBnb home because we feel that exposure in a single home is less likely than a hotel.  I suspect the return trip will be better because we be arriving in daylight, we're not going to be exhausted, and we can again disinfect the premises to our satisfaction.  But the first night out is going to be trickier.  We may not arrive at our destination until like 1 a.m.  We're going to be tired and cranky and the last thing we probably will want to do is spend another 30 minutes or so cleaning the damn thing down. But if we are disciplined -- we should be ok.

So this plan does not go without it's risks.  There are bathroom breaks, coffee stops, and take out food runs. Otherwise, I think we will be greatly reducing the odds.  And we are traveling into Jackson Hole -- not New York City -- and moving from a far more densely area to a much less one.  Again, decreased probabilities.  

I need to get on the horn about interstate travel.  While most places are still discouraging it, I don't think they are outright turning folks around.  I'm just a wee bit worried that some cops will jump on my out of state plates.  Not surprisingly, Montana and Wyoming have the laxest rules but Oregon and surprisingly Idaho is talking tough.  IF this is the case and Yelklowstone and GTNP are opening up to visitors, then we may simply have to drive through Idaho to get to Montana -- about and hour+ in the upper panhandle.  Anyway, I've got some calls to make tomorrow as there's nothing but a ton a data out there -- most of it outdated -- about the new openings and travel restrictions.  So far Oregon looks by far the toughest followed by Idaho, then Montana/Wyoming.

The latest from the AAA website.  This is the most up to date info.     https://www.oregon.aaa.com/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-travelers-from-aaa/

For those hoping to plan a trip in the West this year, here are links to COVID-19 travel information for each state:

Wyoming:

Reopening Announcements and Current Travel Restrictions

As Wyoming begins to reopen, we encourage all travelers to check in with businesses and events before setting out and to keep up to date with the latest travel guidelines in the U.S. and Wyoming.

National Parks & Monuments: Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park and Devils Tower National Monument are open with some limitations.

Montana:

Reopening Announcements and Current Travel Restrictions

As Wyoming begins to reopen, we encourage all travelers to check in with businesses and events before setting out and to keep up to date with the latest travel guidelines in the U.S. and Wyoming.

National Parks & Monuments: Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park and Devils Tower National Monument are open with some limitations.

Idaho:

All vulnerable travelers, and those with vulnerable individuals in the household should continue to use care and self-isolate to the best of their ability. A 14-day self-quarantine is encouraged for people entering Idaho from another country or from an area outside Idaho with substantial community spread or case rates higher than Idaho. 

Oregon:

What this means for visitors

Currently non-essential travel is not allowed and it’s still important to stay local. Continue to avoid overnight and non-essential trips, including recreational day trips to destinations outside of your community. Those who reside in a county that has not reopened are asked to be thoughtful and stay home.

Essential travel: Generally, essential travel refers to going distances for work, caring for family or other vulnerable populations, or the need to acquire essential items like food and supplies, medical care and prescriptions, emergency services, shelter and legal or financial necessities.

Non-essential travel: Overall, non-essential travel is not crucial to the functioning of society during a crisis. This includes outdoor recreation activities as well as vacations and other leisure activities. Non-essential travel is not allowed in Phase 1. It is currently unclear when non-essential travel will be allowed again; specifics of Phase 2 depend on data from Phase 1.

OK locked into the same place as bookend stay overs.  This trip's lodging is confirmed and we've got a new bike rack.  We need to get two NP passes but pretty much the show is over.  First vacation in 2 years. I honestly feel we are going to be as safe as if we were at home.  Bubbled automobile to travel.  Stop in a extremely low covid county (only one case confirmed) and we're staying at a private home.  Apparently it's going to be 'extra' cleaned and we'll do our own.  Then we are off in our bubble and drive into another privately owned condo where we will do the same.  Of course we'll need to go to the grocery store but we've got bikes, hiking shoes, and park passes.  No interest in going on tours or congregating with people.  We're there for the exercise, the down time, and beauty.  We'll be practicing social distancing and the return trip will be the exact as the outgoing trip.

Nothing is guaranteed but I believe our exposure will be minimized/limited.

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What are "NP passes"?  We buy the National Park pass each year, but only need one.

Well we haven't decided which route we are going to go.  We've certainly been to our 3 NPs enough that I don't know how much more we'd use it.  I don't know.  We'll look at the numbers. I think an annual pass is $80 and a Jellystone and Grand Teton pass is $35 each.  So we'd either save $10 or gain access to other parks for $10.  I just don't see us going to other parks in the next year -- but you never know.  Probably worth it to step up and buy it.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well we haven't decided which route we are going to go.  We've certainly been to our 3 NPs enough that I don't know how much more we'd use it.  I don't know.  We'll look at the numbers. I think an annual pass is $80 and a Jellystone and Grand Teton pass is $35 each.  So we'd either save $10 or gain access to other parks for $10.  I just don't see us going to other parks in the next year -- but you never know.  Probably worth it to step up and buy it.

It supports the Parks.

• Heart 2

Oh we'll step up and get the annual pass.  I too am a fan of the parks.

I can't see how you wouldn't use it multiple times in a year where you live.  Sure, you can get into some parts of the NPs in Washington without going through a entry gate, but I would think you could really make use of the big NPs out there.  Heck, even here we have plenty of use for the annual pass.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't see how you wouldn't use it multiple times in a year where you live.  Sure, you can get into some parts of the NPs in Washington without going through a entry gate, but I would think you could really make use of the big NPs out there.  Heck, even here we have plenty of use for the annual pass.

I've been to Mt. Rainier a gazillion times and have done a lot of hikes in that park.  While true, it never gets old, my time is growing short and I'm more interested in doing other things.  Olympic and North Cascades require a lot of backpacking to see the whole park and requires at least a week to do it per trip.  My wife is not interested in backpacking anymore and I'm getting close to that point where I don't really care for it as much either.  Plus when you get 50+, there is perhaps nothing greater than having access to a toilet.  Also, squatting to poop or find a horizontal log just doesn't cut it anymore.  I have done some enough hiking in Olympic that I'm satisfied.  The only regret I have is not hiking the North Cascades.  But other than that, if you can get to it by car, I've done it and then some.  At this point, I'm more interested in going back to Glacier but mainly Utah.  I've been to 2 NPs out there and it's not enough.  I could go back to the other NPs again and again.  I'd like to hit the 4 in California but I fear I'd just be adding to the pressure with the population encroachment as it is.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'd like to hit the 4 in California but I fear I'd just be adding to the pressure with the population encroachment as it is.

You mean nine :D

Channel Islands
Death Valley
Joshua Tree
Kings Canyon
Lassen Volcanic
Pinnacles
Redwood
Sequoia
Yosemite

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You mean nine :D

Channel Islands
Death Valley
Joshua Tree
Kings Canyon
Lassen Volcanic
Pinnacles
Redwood
Sequoia
Yosemite

Yes.  I was thinking the 4 in the Sierra Nevadas.  Well 3 really but I always seem to toss in Redwoods into that deal.  I've been to the Redwoods and driven through Lassen.  Channel Islands would be a treat that I'll probably never make.  Death Valley is not high on my list. I just watch documentaries on Charles Manson and I get the jest. Joshua would be cool and didn't even know about Pinnacles.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, Dottles said:

It doesn't matter. My old lady bought it for my early birthday present.

I just put on that rack and it's the BEST birthday present I've ever had. It is amazing.  I can't believe how solid it is and how well it's made.  It's super easy to load bikes and take them off.  It's by far the securest bike rack I've ever had.  Kuat -- you're awesome.  I don't know where it's made but it ships out of Springfield, Missouri.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

I just put on that rack and it's the BEST birthday present I've ever had. It is amazing.  I can't believe how solid it is and how well it's made.  It's super easy to load bikes and take them off.  It's by far the securest bike rack I've ever had.  Kuat -- you're awesome.  I don't know where it's made but it ships out of Springfield, Missouri.

I've seen folks hauling a pair of mopeds on hitch attached platforms.  Honestly, 100 or so pounds is not really something a hitch rack should struggle with, but I am happy the Kuat makes you feel super secure with your bikes on it. 

When purchasing entry to Painted Desert, the ranger suggested we get an Access Pass. It allows #2 son and four guests free access to every National park and numerous state parks honor it. Some national parks still require a fee because they’re so high use. But we’ve been everywhere with that pass. 

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

When purchasing entry to Painted Desert, the ranger suggested we get an Access Pass. It allows #2 son and four guests free access to every National park and numerous state parks honor it. Some national parks still require a fee because they’re so high use. But we’ve been everywhere with that pass. 

Is that the annual pass?  If so, that's the one we're getting. It's like $80.

34 minutes ago, Dottles said:

We leave this Friday, Zack.  Are you driving through? Flying through?  Riding in?

We booked flights to SLC. Driving to Pinedale WY. Will spend 6 days backpacking in the Wind River Range. Then doing a drive-through of GTNP and YNP. Just cause we are there again.