I am being clocked

BuffJim

19 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Every time I drive. But I stay judiciously within a few miles per hour of the limit, and haven’t had a ticket in over 15 years. 

Most of the time, I go 4 miles over the limit on roads where I'm not sure how the police react. There are some roads I know where the cops won't stop me if I'm under a certain speed and I go a little faster.

When I first got my 2013 Honda Fit, it was my first car that got over 21 mpg, allegedly 35 highway, 28 city, 31 total. I was trying to stay at 62 mph or less in order to hit 31 mpg - measured by odometer miles and gas station pump gallons.  I did that for a while, and hit 31 mpg, but I was getting 37 mpg when driving 70+ mph on Interstates, 24 mpg in stop-and-go traffic. then got lazier - and also did more stop-and-go.  Now I'm averaging about 28.5 mpg.

I was limiting myself to 62 mph because I was going by this table I got from fueleconomy.gov where 62 mph is only about 5% less efficient than 55 but 70 mph is 17% less efficient than 55:

1662440557_fueleconomy.govgraphold.JPG.e7ff0fe4fd06a3003273f11874eab921.JPG

• Hugs 1

51 minutes ago, Airehead said:

The big thing in fuel economy is wind resistance. A+Bx+Cx^2 where x is velocity and c is the wind resistance coefficient. 
can you tell someone in my house had a 30 year career in fuel engineering. 

I thought there was a 5th power in their somewheres.