I suck at crown molding. But that is a good thing.

Parr8hed

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

There is good reason the old time houses use thick wood for moldings. It was an entirely different ball game when "rough framing" was really rough and plaster walls were the preferred finish.

My last house had plaster inside.  It was a PITA to deal with.  And when doing work inside you might as well just leave the square and the level sitting on your workbench.  You won't need them.

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I installed our cabinets but my crown at the top looked like dogshit.  So our house project stalled out so close to the finished.  I watched the youtubes but there is a reason that I am not a finish carpenter.  

My buddy that lives a street over was telling me about the new guy that just moved in.  He's super cool, he's a carpenter and he just got laid off due to Covid bullshit.  He was looking for side jobs.  

Gave him a call.  He made quick work of the molding on my new cabinets.  He even adjusted the hinges.  He is also coming back tonight to put some matching molding up on our existing kitchen cabinets to make it all match.  

We gave him double what he asked and it felt really good to do so.

I have never been more happy to suck at something.  

You are a good egg 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Trying to mitre the corners will cause you to talk to yourself, you have to cope.

I just looked, and all but one of the corners is obscured by heavy furniture. :angry::facepalm:  I could have just phoned it in. The one exposed corner does look pretty good though, if I do say so myself, and I do!

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Zackny said:

When it comes to crown moulding jyst remember “upside down and backwards” when cutting miters.😁

That's what the youtubes said.  But I was already a little "flustered" by my first attempt on inside corners.  I may try again at some point.