White socks are fastest

Randomguy

These fashions go in cycles.  I remember when I was a grade schooler, white socks were the mark of shame.  Then in the 70s it was all white knee socks with crew stripes.  Even though Lance is an asshole, I do sort of agree with the short black socks being in fashion, at least as far as I know.  I am not a slave to fashion. :)

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

These fashions go in cycles.  I remember when I was a grade schooler, white socks were the mark of shame.  Then in the 70s it was all white knee socks with crew stripes.  Even though Lance is an asshole, I do sort of agree with the short black socks being in fashion, at least as far as I know.  I am not a slave to fashion. :)

White socks are pretty lame for anything except cycling.  Even in cycling, they aren't my go to sock.  In general, a dark sock is the best everyday sock.

But I like that RG knows how to use the spoiler function!  He is an example of forum kindness and self-awareness.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

White socks are pretty lame for anything except cycling.  Even in cycling, they aren't my go to sock.  In general, a dark sock is the best everyday sock.

But I like that RG knows how to use the spoiler function!  He is an example of forum kindness and self-awareness.

The spoiler function is great fun to use.  And SW was kind enough to add it to mobile. :)

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I actually don't particularly like the look of all-white socks and all-black shoes together, but I do think it is better than all-black socks by dozens of exponents.  

My white socks have lots of color, reds and blues and even some black parts in the pattern.  Gray socks are much better than black, even in the mud or rain or whatever, and you don't look like a tool that wears black socks.

Am I wrong?  I though speed was determined by the color of the bike.  I always believed that I was slow because I don't have a blue bike.  So you're saying, I won't get dropped by the pack like a sack of taters if I ride with white socks.  A stop at Target might be needed this evening.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

He is an example of forum kindness and self-awareness.

Ha, first time anyone ever said that!

I think if we use this format, shouldn't we be able to talk about the tour this way?  I guess everyone else would have to in their replies too, so it would be cumbersome a bit, but doable.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I actually don't particularly like the look of all-white socks and all-black shoes together, but I do think it is better than all-black socks by dozens of exponents.  

My white socks have lots of color, reds and blues and even some black parts in the pattern.  Gray socks are much better than black, even in the mud or rain or whatever, and you don't look like a tool that wears black socks.

OK, then we can agree that patterned or multi-color socks are the best.  I have some that are part black and part gray with red stripes that I like.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Am I wrong?  I though speed was determined by the color of the bike.  I always believed that I was slow because I don't have a blue bike.  So you're saying, I won't get dropped by the pack like a sack of taters if I ride with white socks.  A stop at Target might be needed this evening.

Bike color and sock color work synergistically, so white socks with a blue bike would be very fast indeed.

OK, then we can agree that patterned or multi-color socks are the best.  I have some that are part black and part gray with red stripes that I like.

I actually have one pair of black socks that I hate, but they have grey and white elements, too.  I still think they suck, but would look better with a different pattern.  I got them for free, and would wear them on days where rain is gonna happen.

I would like to replace my socks at some point, but the current fashion is too black and too tall.  No need for that extra material to be on a cycling sock, you see, even if I found some non-black socks.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Ha, first time anyone ever said that!

I think if we use this format, shouldn't we be able to talk about the tour this way?  I guess everyone else would have to in their replies too, so it would be cumbersome a bit, but doable.

Or you can just throw the boss man a bone and enter the password.  Owl go look there now and see what we got, if anything.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Bike color and sock color work synergistically, so white socks with a blue bike would be very fast indeed.

It's weird - I must be a freak of nature then, as I usually have neither a blue bike nor white socks on when I ride :(  Folks better hope I never get that combination going or it's lights out for the rest of the folks out there!

Or you can just throw the boss man a bone and enter the password.  Owl go look there now and see what we got, if anything.

I predict a few token posts, then crickets. I did check it out after the big spoilers post, and it looked like an average of three posts per tour day france, total (not per stage, but the whole thing).

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's weird - I must be a freak of nature then, as I usually have neither a blue bike nor white socks on when I ride :(  Folks better hope I never get that combination going or it's lights out for the rest of the folks out there!

You still have time, go get you some!

Actually it looks pretty lively.  You are missing oot. :D  My browser saved the password, so I will now exit and reopen it to see if it holds.

I was going to do a stage 4, 5, & 6 post there, but said "fuck it" since no one really cares at that point.  Stale news immediately, so not really worth posting.

1 minute ago, az_cyclist said:

I still like the short ankle cycling socks.

except in winter, then the crew length.

I do wear smartwool socks year round

BUT WHAT COLOR?!?!?!?! :frantics:

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I like to let my feet go commando.

So, tan "socks" are your thing?

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

White socks with white shoes is dope. (Homage to @Parr8hed while he’s trippin’ in the Elevated State.)

I need to look for some bright yellow or orange shoes.  I have white and I have black, but from all my reading, the "safest" color is that hi-viz stuff, and it is especially important to have bright stuff on things that move a lot and would catch an eye.  I have a pair of bright yellow socks from an event that do well, and have a pair of yellow waterproof shoe covers (no bueno in summer!), but think the shoes would be the best option.

Pair bright shoes with front/rear blinkies, and some reflective decals/clothing for night, and hopefully that at least reduces risks a bit.

I have some Sidis in white, but this yellow is pretty good:

image.png.6cae21f007879e179fbe676dba48d85c.png

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

22 teams. Maybe one team could go with shoes that are NOT white? :scratchhead:

Looking through photos, I see some variations. Yellow shoes and socks with the yellow jersey, someone in green shoes, a few pairs of colorful socks that match the rest of the kit.