Jump to content

Took a couple of lbs off the Ritchey


ChrisL
 Share

Recommended Posts



7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I just put the rider on a diet.

Yeah rider weight also factors into the equation but this was more of an exercise  of making some easy changes in gear/set up to drop some tonnage.  

After going on Ozempic I dropped  15 lbs and have held steady so total weight dropped off rider & bike is closer to 17 lbs!

  • Heart 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Total ride ready weight of the Ritchey dropped from 23.2 lbs to 21.6 lbs.  Weight of the bike without pedals & bag 20.2.  If I were to strip it of bottle cages, Garmin mount & bell I’m sure it would be under 20 lbs. That’s about what I expected and pretty reasonable for a steel framed disc brake bike. All of the weights were taken with the new wheels.   

My Diverge is definitely heavier than that.  But I added fatter (42) tires, so that's my fault. :)  A pinky for the Tarmac, but probably two fingers to lift the Diverge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

If I were to strip it of bottle cages

My daughter bought me Arundel 2 carbon fiber water bottles about 9 years ago for Father's Day. I figured that they would break easily but they haven't so far. Took about 50 grams off the bike (the wieght of 10 5¢ coins).

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My daughter bought me Arundel 2 carbon fiber water bottles about 9 years ago for Father's Day. I figured that they would break easily but they haven't so far. Took about 50 grams off the bike (the wieght of 10 5¢ coins).

I put CF bottle cages on the ride, not really for the weight, I just like the way they looked.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

the FSA K wing bar on my Bianchi. 

I got something similar form PB years ago, I really like the flat top surface.

 

If'n I was serious about bike weight, I'd shorten the cables, they always looked 'loopy" to me.

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 2Far said:

If'n I was serious about bike weight, I'd shorten the cables, they always looked 'loopy" to me.

I think I would look more at revised climbing gearing than any more weight reductions.  My main bike is pretty light, so getting more "granny gears" would be the next best thing I could opt for.

You could upgrade to the newer wireless gruppos - like @Square Wheels has.  Half the cables (really, just the brake lines) might be a weight saver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had a person on the inter webs call me out as a weight weenie, it’s about the rider & not the bike etc. but honestly I am not.  If I was I wouldn’t have gone back to steel.

But I have taken efforts to lower the weight of the Ritchey as I’m starting with a much heavier frame.   I look at it as more of a fun challenge with disposable cash to get the weight down to around 20 lbs.  Other than the wheels I have a carbon post, TI bolt kit, light weight bottle cages and I changed saddles to a lighter one (still comfortable for me though).   

I also had a very minimal & small tool bag but the zipper failed.  I couldn’t fit my pump in my new bag so stopped carrying it but put a bunch of CO2’s in it which added significant weight.  So I mounted the pump with the clip and pulled the co2’s.  Just adjusting the tool bag saved about a lb. and I still have room for other gear should I want to add more stuff.

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My Diverge is definitely heavier than that.  But I added fatter (42) tires, so that's my fault. :)  A pinky for the Tarmac, but probably two fingers to lift the Diverge.

Do you ride chunky gravel where you need the 42’s & knobs?   I ride a 36 mm file tread which is nice on most SoCal gravel but a bit slippery on loose over hard.  I just ride slower off road but I like how they roll on the road.  I had Maxxis ReFuse in 32 which I loved but they were hard to find when I needed to replace them so went with Challenge Strada Bianca’s which have a similar tread but a bit wider.  Both tires are great for mixed road/gravel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Do you ride chunky gravel where you need the 42’s & knobs?   I ride a 36 mm file tread which is nice on most SoCal gravel but a bit slippery on loose over hard.  I just ride slower off road but I like how they roll on the road.  I had Maxxis ReFuse in 32 which I loved but they were hard to find when I needed to replace them so went with Challenge Strada Bianca’s which have a similar tread but a bit wider.  Both tires are great for mixed road/gravel. 

I have the 38 and the 42 tires - one with tubes (38) and the ones I set up tubeless. I rode the 38s for a long time before finally taking the leap with the GravelKings.  I might go back now and set the 38s up tubeless too. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have had a person on the inter webs call me out as a weight weenie, it’s about the rider & not the bike etc. but honestly I am not.  If I was I wouldn’t have gone back to steel.

But I have taken efforts to lower the weight of the Ritchey as I’m starting with a much heavier frame.   I look at it as more of a fun challenge with disposable cash to get the weight down to around 20 lbs.  Other than the wheels I have a carbon post, TI bolt kit, light weight bottle cages and I changed saddles to a lighter one (still comfortable for me though).   

I also had a very minimal & small tool bag but the zipper failed.  I couldn’t fit my pump in my new bag so stopped carrying it but put a bunch of CO2’s in it which added significant weight.  So I mounted the pump with the clip and pulled the co2’s.  Just adjusting the tool bag saved about a lb. and I still have room for other gear should I want to add more stuff.

That's funny. Weight weenies don't ride steel bikes. Nobody has called me a ww. I bet my road bike weighs 24 lbs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Do you ride chunky gravel where you need the 42’s & knobs?   I ride a 36 mm file tread which is nice on most SoCal gravel but a bit slippery on loose over hard.  I just ride slower off road but I like how they roll on the road.  I had Maxxis ReFuse in 32 which I loved but they were hard to find when I needed to replace them so went with Challenge Strada Bianca’s which have a similar tread but a bit wider.  Both tires are great for mixed road/gravel. 

My Fargo has 29 x 2.4" tires. I've got a pair of 45c WTBs but have only ridden them once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, dinneR said:

My Fargo has 29 x 2.4" tires. I've got a pair of 45c WTBs but have only ridden them once.

I ride 2.2’s on my Anthem

 

38 minutes ago, dinneR said:

That's funny. Weight weenies don't ride steel bikes. Nobody has called me a ww. I bet my road bike weighs 24 lbs. 

! 😂. I really don’t need super chunky tires where & how I ride. 
 

Truth be told it was when I replaced my wheels on the Bianchi some years ago and I believe was on the LF not here.   I bought some wheels that my shop recommended but were like 1,400 grams for the set.  I was a bit concerned about their light weight being a Clyde but was assured they were fine.  I then referenced their weight in the post.

The only point the person got from my post was that weight didn’t matter with me being a Clyde & I should focus on my weight not the bikes…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I ride 2.2’s on my Anthem

 

! 😂. I really don’t need super chunky tires where & how I ride. 
 

Truth be told it was when I replaced my wheels on the Bianchi some years ago and I believe was on the LF not here.   I bought some wheels that my shop recommended but were like 1,400 grams for the set.  I was a bit concerned about their light weight being a Clyde but was assured they were fine.  I then referenced their weight in the post.

The only point the person got from my post was that weight didn’t matter with me being a Clyde & I should focus on my weight not the bikes…

My mtb has 2.5 in tires. I like those. The bike I am buying has 2.6s. They had upgraded it with carbon wheels, but I asked them to put the alloy wheels on it. The weight difference was minimal, but the cost was $1300. 

I use my Fargo for bikepacking so the 2.4s are nice. My fatbike has 4-4.8" tires. I

I like big tires. 

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

I got something similar form PB years ago, I really like the flat top surface.

 

What I really like about the K Wing is the flat area directly behind the brake lever.  It’s such a nice ergonomically designed shape.  My Venturemax bar has a flat top and I do like it but is missing the comfy part behind the levers. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Stradalli was around 17 w/cages, bag and Schwalbe tires. The tires are 25 which are the biggest that fit. 
My Bridgestone is around 26 lbs  if I recall. 
The Schwinn is around 38 per the LBS owner. You feel the weight when you first start, but don’t really notice it when rolling. 
the rider needs to lose about 10 lbs. The move killed my weight maintenance and it’s taking a bit to get back to form. 

  • Heart 1
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...