Carry-on luggage advice

shootingstar

..some of this can apply for larger check-in pieces too.  Have been using wonderful carry-on luggage for past 18 yrs., almost at least several times /yr. It has great wheels which do need replacement (if I'm willing to invest) and outer fabric durability through snow, rain, domestic & international travel.  Bought at  REI in Seattle so long ago  but very long-lasting for my needs.

So my lst criteria, still is:

• waterproof, durable outer, with hard edged casing at least, not easily slashed
  • strong good zippers, plus reliable retractable handle
  • 1-2 inner pockets
  • lightweight...so I can fill it & lift whole thing in overhead  plane bin
  • no combination lock integrated in case itself. If I want that , I would buy a separate lock

What else and  what brands/lines have you liked? How long has your luggage lasted?

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

domestic & international travel. 

First visit a few (or more) airlines web sites.  Look for their carry on luggage allowable sizes.   Some international flights have smaller sizes for carry on luggage.

Then start you search.   You don't want new luggage that would be too big.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

First visit a few (or more) airlines web sites.  Look for their carry on luggage allowable sizes.   Some international flights have smaller sizes for carry on luggage.

Then start you search.   You don't want new luggage that would be too big.

I will measure what I have since it's been accepted for my domestic and international flights for all airlines I've used  (only Air Canada which goes to overseas major cities worldwide, Luftansa, Korean Airlines). I don't recall flying on any U.S. airline yet for plane travel into the U.S. in past 20 yrs.  Keep in mind Air Canada has flights in and out of major U.S. cities....I don't go on U.S. airlines unless I can't find an Air  Canada flight. 

For Canucks here, I don't fly Westjet since I want to gather Aeroplan miles. Westjet would have limited for my international trips in past. Everyone local  in Alberta seems to love westjet 'cause its western Canada born.

I can carry-on whatever I need, for 4-5 wk. foreign oveseas travel. Compared to many people, I travel much lighter. Going on cycling touring rides with my clothing, has made me become very spare, efficient in type of clothing and attire as a tourist. I  know what I bike with clothing for bike touring, Hence, I know what I can pack lightly if I'm not bringing along a bike.

As a visitor/tourist, I'm not into dressing up nor dress shoes unless I'm going to a wedding. Even for a funeral, I can wear my business blazer and top while on the plane.  I've been like this for past 25 yrs. and I don't plan to change. 

37 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Can't help, never take a carry-on with me because I can't bother lugging it around.  I only ever take my laptop bag.

I realize you might have other gear ...or not.

I'm happy to wheel around just 1 carry-on and carry backpack. I'm amazed to see tourists with 6 large  suitcases or 4 cases between 2 people. Maybe they are buying/bringing gifts too.  Now that there are no more bus express across Canada.  One is left with courier companies for shipments across  Canada.

I try to avoid checked-in baggage which means hanging around the carousel. During earlier flights, it's ok, but not at peak airport flight arrival times.  I'm only speaking as someone knowing volumes of passengers  at certain times for 3 major  Canadian city airports.  One has to understand  also local city transit/ subway train volumes at arrival/departure for the cities. 

For Toronto, it's always better to plan it to arrive into the city during non-peak work commuter volumes. However the volumes has mushroomed in TO in the past decade.  :huh: Really, Toronto has become very high volume...it is no longer a small-time player.  I know it's not like O'Hare nor Heathrow nor Frankfurt (amazing city with all the interconnecting country trains in Europe)....but still, any Canadian arriving and leaving Toronto's airport would be amazed how it has changed over the decade.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have used two suitcases for the past 20 years.  The larger is Briggs and Riley and my every day is a Travelpro Crew 1.  It is heavy though. Steel framed.  Both have been outstanding.  

For your job for 20 yrs., you need tough stuff.

Being short, I have some problems on some trips, lifting carry-on into overhead plane bin.   (I'm sure petite with her weight-lifting work, will breeze on this one.) I end up standing on the seat, to get carry-on out of bin.  So I have to be wearing running shoes to do this gracefully.

I have some complicated stuff to coordinate from Vancouver which includes buying luggage when I get there.

I've never gotten the hardshell luggage because I always want at least a few pockets outside.  But the advice to check the size for the foreign planes is very good.  They often have smaller allowances than the US.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I've never gotten the hardshell luggage because I always want at least a few pockets outside.  But the advice to check the size for the foreign planes is very good.  They often have smaller allowances than the US.

A number of  the hardshell seem just a little heavier and when filled, it's probably heavier than I could deal with by myself.

I've  been using Timbuk2 roller. I like it a lot. It's clamshell so easy to see things. Backpack straps if you need them. Roller skate wheels so it rolls easy. It is slightly over the carry on dimensions though. I have the medium (carry on size) & the Large size for checked. It's yuge

https://www.timbuk2.com/products/544-copilot-luggage-roller?variant=12733983096874

• Heart 1