Why Sell The Mavericks?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Randomguy,

Cuban seems to be one of the most "engaged" owners in pro sports, and really is synonymous with the Mavs vs any other thing he's done.  What do you think is motivating the sale (other than a cool billion plus profit?

Since he purchased the Mavericks in 2000 for $280 million, Cuban has stood out among the NBA’s buttoned-down ownership class. He regularly forgoes a luxury suite to sit near his team’s bench, and he cuts an emotional figure courtside. Cuban pumps his fists and shouts to support the Mavericks; he has racked up fines for berating officials when their whistles don’t go his way. The tab of fines he’s incurred from the NBA over the years goes well into the millions.

There has been a method to what has sometimes seemed like madness. The Mavericks have reached the postseason 18 times during Cuban’s tenure, including two appearances in the NBA Finals, winning a championship in 2011. They have also been the American home of two of basketball’s most iconic European players: the Hall-of-Fame forward Dirk Nowitzki, who was the centerpiece of the title team, and the 24-year-old wunderkind Luka Doncic, one of the top scoring and assist threats in today’s game.

He is probably ready to slow down a bit and enjoy a bit more time with his kids who are 13, 16 and 22.  I bet the eldest going off to college and  Mark realizing how much of her teen years he missed hit hard and he decided to take a step back.

He will hold onto some of the Mavs and will still run day to day operations of the team from what I have read.

If it is for family, that is pretty damn cool in my book.

• Heart 1