Drifting

Razors Edge

I think it would be fun to drive a car with that much horsepower.  It is a very niche skill.  I like to watch programs where average drivers go to drift school.  They do this every now and then on shows like Top Gear or some of the shows on Motor Trend TV

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Didn't you ever put your mountain bike in a two-wheel drift?  That is fun!  

I would hope DH backs me up on this one!

I've drifted unintentionally on the gavel bike.  That gets the HR up a bit! When the rear wheel comes around to your side it's a "whoa!" moment.

I did a little drifting this weekend in Albany.  (in the snow)

And I learned that in order to turn the car's traction control off, you have to hold the button down for a couple seconds - not instant gratification like my old Jetta.  The mix of heavy snow and sleet that had fallen led to some of the worst winter driving conditions I've ever seen, and this was on the NY State Thruway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I think it would be fun to drive a car with that much horsepower.  It is a very niche skill.  I like to watch programs where average drivers go to drift school.  They do this every now and then on shows like Top Gear or some of the shows on Motor Trend TV

Some on MT focus on things like JDM cars and often have a drifting sub-theme. Often, those cars are of the "normal" to just above normal HP sort - ie Japanese models with 200-300 hp, so nothing insane. And they can run them against some high output super modified cars too as it seems the scoring isn't like a road race.

In the police academy, part of pursuit training was learning how to control a skid and we worked on a giant skid pad.  They oiled the snot out of it, then watered it down.  The skid pad cars had bald tires which helped break traction.  Yeah that was a lot of fun!  

One thing I remember about the pursuit school was I had never driven a car with adjustable steering wheels but the Caprice’s we used had them. Except I didn’t know that.  I freaking busted up my knuckles something fierce as the handle to the take down lights would smack my knuckles.  

One of the instructors saw my bloody & battered knuckles & asked if I got in a fight. No sir the take down lights did that.  Move the wheel dummy! Uh what!?!!  Oh Jesus here… The rest of the school was much more fun now that I wasn’t killing my knuckles! 

For a while dirt kart tracks were a thing, and that was Shirley a blast to be sideways most of the time. :)  But drifting a powerful car on asphalt seems so wasteful to me.  And my generation got to take rear wheel drive cars to snowy unplowed parking lots and have a blast, as long as you missed all the light poles. :D

• Heart 1