Stock market predictions this upcoming election cycle

Dottleshead

You agree that whichever party lands in office, that the stock market will surge or at least rise steadily for like 6 months after the election?  Try to keep the politics out of it (SW thanks you) but historically the market seems to go a little higher out of the gate when a Republican wins (is this true?  that's been my perception anyway).  What say thee?  Is next fall and early 2025 lining up to be a boom in the market? I bet inflation eases and they cut rates.  It's looking almost like perfect alignment.

https://www.usbank.com/investing/financial-perspectives/market-news/how-presidential-elections-affect-the-stock-market.html

The analysis points to minimal impact on financial market performance in the medium to long term based on potential election outcomes. The data also shows that market returns are typically more dependent on economic and inflation trends rather than election results.

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

at least rise steadily for like 6 months after the election? 

That's sort of the window for "trouble", so markets might be disrupted.  :dontknow:

As with all things out of our individual control, not much you can do other than decide how to hedge your bets.  The "how" is hard.  

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That's sort of the window for "trouble", so markets might be disrupted.  :dontknow:

As with all things out of our individual control, not much you can do other than decide how to hedge your bets.  The "how" is hard.  

I opened this thread with you in mind. 

• Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

That links posts this interesting chart.  Looks like a 3 month bump in good years.

chart-historical-economic-regimes.png

Just sos you know, we're in the "rising growth/falling inflation" cycle.

While the election itself doesn't impact markets, I could tell you which candidate will continue this cycle and which one will make a complete mess of it, but SW won't like it

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I opened this thread with you in mind. 

One hopes/wishes for a rational, sane election. Clearly, that's not a given anymore.  I don't know that folks really realize how fragile an economy can be, nor how devastating a civil war ALWAYS is.  Those are nor "worst" case scenarios anymore. Those are sadly "possible" scenarios with the worst case ones far scarier (but luckily far more unlikely).  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

One hopes/wishes for a rational, sane election. Clearly, that's not a given anymore.  I don't know that folks really realize how fragile an economy can be, nor how devastating a civil war ALWAYS is.  Those are nor "worst" case scenarios anymore. Those are sadly "possible" scenarios with the worst case ones far scarier (but luckily far more unlikely).  

Get your escape valve open.

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I know enough to stay out it these days. 

I wish I could be in your position.  If I want to get to your position (well comfortable that is) I need to play.  At least I am well diversified.  But I expect the world to fall apart soon and the market to crash and maybe some good folks will lose their lives.  And it probably will recover and one day go higher than it's ever been -- but I'll also probably be dead. It's all timing Wilbur.  I'm just not sure my generation has good timing. But like was said, it's hard to predict.

• Heart 1