Dried Dates, Figs, or Apricots?

Razors Edge

I enjoy snacking on dried fruits, but I do wonder how good for you they are. Relatively high in fiber, but also packed with natural sugar.

I find dried much more convenient to have nearby for snacking, but wonder what cost that convenience carries. :dontknow:

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I can't allow stuff like that in the house, it's like crack.

:D  I hear you.  I am a massive consumer of dried fruits and of nuts.  I can limit myself with dried fruit much more easily than my trail mix, but all of it is relatively calorie and often sugar dense.  Maybe better, though, than me snacking on M&Ms or peppermint patties all day?

1 minute ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I tried dates, they were sweeter than Southern Sweet Tea. Figs are good but calorie dense. Good for snacks on bike rides. 

I held up the figs next to the dates and the stats were about identical. I like both.  And they do seem like convenient "back pocket" snacks for rides.

I take dates on long rides. They work similar to energy gels. I still pack energy gels for emergencies. Owl usually carry them for a month and then make sure to use them and restock with fresh ones.

( I went back and read this post before I hit submit. I was going to change it to say dried dates but then I decided it was good as written. When I was dating Karen I took her on long rides. We did GOBA together.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Apricots are really the only dried fruit that I care for, except maybe for the convenience of dried cranberries and sour cherries for oatmeal and such.

Fig bars, on the other hand...

Most fruit is fructose intense anyways.  If someone is predisposed to fatty liver, fructose is a good thing to avoid.