Frame construction starts tomorrow

Former member

"Gluing" bike tubes together just sounds wrong. When I bought my Mongoose back in the 90s that's when 'bonding' 7005 aluminum was getting to be the thing. I was a little skeptical, but bought the bike anyway. Still a great ride.

Can't  wait to see the finished product when you get it completed !

"Gluing" bike tubes together just sounds wrong. When I bought my Mongoose back in the 90s that's when 'bonding' 7005 aluminum was getting to be the thing. I was a little skeptical, but bought the bike anyway. Still a great ride.

Can't  wait to see the finished product when you get it completed !

It works fine for Parlee, Crumpton and many others. 

The tubes are glue together in a frame jig, and then the junction are wrapped with layers of carbon fiber. 

Like this

54302A2F-8B72-4C71-88B1-24D2C7D8E7FC_zps

the junction looks like this when finished 

769CC455-B85D-4077-9C1B-21862C62F580_zps

It works fine for Parlee, Crumpton and many others. 

The tubes are glue together in a frame jig, and then the junction are wrapped with layers of carbon fiber. 

Like this

54302A2F-8B72-4C71-88B1-24D2C7D8E7FC_zps

the junction looks like this when finished 

769CC455-B85D-4077-9C1B-21862C62F580_zps

Yeah, I understand the process. I'm just so old school that the paradigm is that "bikes are metal and metal is welded...";)

To date I've never ridden anything carbon fiber. Not even a test ride.

You are missing out. The best bikes are made of CF. They are light, strong, and the ride can be easily tailored to the needs of the rider. 

I personally think that's subjective, BSY.  For me a lot of it is investment versus return. I'm a damn good cyclist, but not professional material. I'm not shelling out several gran for something that I can't personally see giving me any great advantage for what I do. I ride relatively inexpensive bikes and enjoy myself. I have a blast. I'm strong and fast, but I'm at an age where I'm not going to keep getting better. And my favorite ride is my early 90s aluminum Cannondale. 

But that's just me. I loooove the looks of some of the CF and other high end bikes. I can drool over them. And am genuinely happy for those of you who buy them. :nod head: But don't cry for me, Argentina...  ;)

• Heart 2

I personally think that's subjective, BSY.  For me a lot of it is investment versus return. I'm a damn good cyclist, but not professional material. I'm not shelling out several gran for something that I can't personally see giving me any great advantage for what I do. I ride relatively inexpensive bikes and enjoy myself. I have a blast. I'm strong and fast, but I'm at an age where I'm not going to keep getting better. And my favorite ride is my early 90s aluminum Cannondale. 

But that's just me. I loooove the looks of some of the CF and other high end bikes. I can drool over them. And am genuinely happy for those of you who buy them. :nod head: But don't cry for me, Argentina...  ;)

I guess ignorance is bliss ;)

Zealot, I admire your attitude.  I have a hard time motivating myself to ride sometimes, and I am neither strong nor fast.  I bought a mid-range cf bike and have made a few upgrades to it.  It's a pretty darn expensive bike, and the poor thing has less than 1,000 miles on it so far this year.

I'm kind of with Z, the older I get and more miles I've logged, the more I prefer simpler bikes.

It doesn't get any better than an old steel framed single speed bike.

• Heart 1

I'm kind of with Z, the older I get and more miles I've logged, the more I prefer simpler bikes.

It doesn't get any better than an old steel framed single speed bike.

Amen. And I love my steel framed SS/fixie. Truly is a lot of fun to ride!

And SW, if you have 3000 or 500 miles on your bike this year, the reality is you have miles on your bike. Without that bike, you might not have  those miles. So, when you bought it you made an investment. And only you can determine if that investment was worth it.  Enjoy the ride. Enjoy the equipment. Enjoy the air!  Congrats on your bike. 

Peace.

Even though I've never tasted it I hate Sour Mash Whiskey! I am a Scotch drinker.

I have never eaten salmon, never will because I like tuna!

Real automobiles have carburetors. Never had fuel injection and never will.

Telephones have cords. You can't trust a cordless telephone.

Incorrect. It does get better than that. 

​I've ridden CF, FS bikes.  My old SS is more fun to ride because of the simplicity of it.  It's all about your ability then and not the bike covering up for you.

At one time, I craved a CF FS bike, then I realized how fragile CF is and think it's completely pointless for anyone beyond high level racers who can get them at a discount or free.

I feel sexy in a puddle of mud, but that isn't the point here. 

You posited it. So you were trying to make that point.

Aluminum feels good. Steel feels good. Titanium feels good. And others day CF feels good. If you like , ride it. Enjoy what you ride. That's the point. 

But to tell others that they would like what you (rhetorical, not you personally) like is somehow 'best' is presumptuous at best and elitist at worst...

• Heart 1

You posited it. So you were trying to make that point.

Aluminum feels good. Steel feels good. Titanium feels good. And others day CF feels good. If you like , ride it. Enjoy what you ride. That's the point. 

But to tell others that they would like what you (rhetorical, not you personally) like is somehow 'best' is presumptuous at best and elitist at worst...

It was a joke referencing an earlier thread. :rolleyes:

Even though I've never tasted it I hate Sour Mash Whiskey! I am a Scotch drinker.

I have never eaten salmon, never will because I like tuna!

Real automobiles have carburetors. Never had fuel injection and never will.

Telephones have cords. You can't trust a cordless telephone.

​I love to sip on sour mash as I eat salmon in my fuel injected Subaru talking on my Samsung cellular phone.

I stay out of your threads, DH. I see the titles. But that's it. So, it's not a joke I'd have gotten.

But that's neither here nor there.

Yes, but you make the effort to parody them.  LOL

If yoy find me so distasteful, why do you Bother makin comments against something I said in this thread. Matbe you will be happier with me on ignore.

Yes, but you make the effort to parody them.  LOL

If yoy find me so distasteful, why do you Bother makin comments against something I said in this thread. Matbe you will be happier with me on ignore.

I parodied one if your threads, on a day when I was an equal opportunity parodyer. I believe I overshot my quota that day.... Lol

Distasteful? No. It was at your request that I stay out.

See, I believe you find me distasteful. It's all perspective, isn't it. We have little in common, and we've been down this road before.

Peace.

• Heart 1