Ratcheting up my healthy habits

Dirtyhip

Hey...that is great..but you could go to your taqueria as a special..like maybe once a month...

I know what I need to do but chaos is not helping me right now...on the other hand carrying 25 to 35 pounds of boxes up a flight of stairs is a workout...almost 12000 steps yesterday 35 flights of stairs...

Chaos or no chaos...I am gonna try to 2 days a week at the gym...maybe 3...but I am not cooking like I usually do... oh and 30 pounds by June would be sweet....I saw some pic last night as I was packing away stuff...oh my...I need to get my mojo back

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Congrats,  I am having a hard time kicking the sugar and snacking at night habits.  I need to drop 30 by june.

I miss the sweets for sure. I feel better without them. 

At some point, I will most likely crack and have a cookie, and I will try to not feel ashamed about it.  Just keep it sane and mostly healthy.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

Hey...that is great..but you could go to your taqueria as a special..like maybe once a month...

I know what I need to do but chaos is not helping me right now...on the other hand carrying 25 to 35 pounds of boxes up a flight of stairs is a workout...almost 12000 steps yesterday 35 flights of stairs...

Chaos or no chaos...I am gonna try to 2 days a week at the gym...maybe 3...but I am not cooking like I usually do... oh and 30 pounds by June would be sweet....I saw some pic last night as I was packing away stuff...oh my...I need to get my mojo back

I am not saying I will never go there again.  We were going about once a week, in addition to other bad things. 

Going to the store this week, I tossed in some things that have fallen off my radar.  One of those things was jicama.  I'm going to slice some up and take it for snacking.

Bagels were not in my cart this week.  I almost caved, but stayed strong.  Clean shopping takes some willpower.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It's taking the fun out of life and is starting to overwhelm me.  I lie in bed in the morning and wonder what the fuck is going to happen to me.  :(

Have you tried PT?  Do you stretch regularly?

I have added collagen to my diet.  I drink a glass of dissolved collagen every day now. That, along with stretching is making me feel very good.  Not sure how much is one or the other, but my hair is getting thicker.  My eyelashes are really long again.  :flirtyeyess:

• Heart 2

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Have you tried PT?  Do you stretch regularly?

No.  PT isn't helpful.  I have serious spinal issues.  My doctor wants to operate.  I am afraid of the possible results of major back surgery.  I'm turning 69 in a week.  I'm divorced and have no one to help me through the post surgery period.  It is a bad situation all around with no easy answers.

I have spent most of my life trying to eat well, keeping my weight down, exercising, not smoking or drinking...  but in the end, unless you are very lucky, stuff happens, in spite of your best attempts to prevent it.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I'm turning 69 in a week.  I'm divorced and have no one to help me through the post surgery period.  It is a bad situation all around with no easy answers.

If my place wasn't such chaos...I would tell you to come here for your surgery and rehab...Some of my residents...and they are not yet 70 have done some rehab at a local nursing care center for a few weeks after major surgery....  Sending prayers your way RR

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

RR, are you near a university medical center?  Can you get a second opinion? 

It's still early in the treatment phase for this doctor.  He is having me do some stuff (epidural steroid injection, back brace) that might help, but I think this is all just to prove the eventual need for surgery.  It's complicated.  I have multiple problems.  

Sorry, DH.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread...   

24 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It's still early in the treatment phase for this doctor.  He is having me do some stuff (epidural steroid injection, back brace) that might help, but I think this is all just to prove the eventual need for surgery.  It's complicated.  I have multiple problems.  

Sorry, DH.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread...   

Like conversation, topics go to and fro.  I don't mind at all, when the conversation takes a natural course.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

No.  PT isn't helpful.  I have serious spinal issues.  My doctor wants to operate.  I am afraid of the possible results of major back surgery.  I'm turning 69 in a week.  I'm divorced and have no one to help me through the post surgery period.  It is a bad situation all around with no easy answers.

I have spent most of my life trying to eat well, keeping my weight down, exercising, not smoking or drinking...  but in the end, unless you are very lucky, stuff happens, in spite of your best attempts to prevent it.  

I know all back surgeries are different but my father has had two in his 80's both very successful. 

• Heart 4

20 minutes ago, Zackny said:

I know all back surgeries are different but my father has had two in his 80's both very successful. 

Thanks, Zack.  I appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with back surgery.  Please post them if you have them.  It helps.  I'm sure I have some big decisions ahead of me in the weeks and months to come.  

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I have spent most of my life trying to eat well, keeping my weight down, exercising, not smoking or drinking... 

Clearly you need to order a box of Cubans and then start drinking heavily.

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

ON the serious side, the little I know about your situation...I think I'd make sure I had a well respected doc and accomplished surgeon.  Then bite the bullet and go under the knife.  Occasionally you betray a sense of despair about your health.  The thought "what do I have to lose" comes to mind.

Easy for me to say, I get that.  But maybe it's your only chance to get where you'd like to be.

• Heart 1