WTH is this?

team scooter

11 hours ago, parodybot said:

That is the shell of a cicada. They metamorphosize underground come to the surface and become locusts or cicadas

Thanks. :nodhead:

I guess I've never really looked very closely at their shed skins. While alive (and making a racket), the cicadas are kinda cute. With red trimmed wings and bulging red eyes. This thing looked like a UPS truck with a tusk. :blink:

• Heart 2

46 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Thanks. :nodhead:

I guess I've never really looked very closely at their shed skins. While alive (and making a racket), the cicadas are kinda cute. With red trimmed wings and bulging red eyes. This thing looked like a UPS truck with a tusk. :blink:

That's cute??? Yer weird. ;)

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, team scooter said:

Kinda cute... :D

th.jpg

Take the wings off, and you can see how it would fit in the shed skin.  If you ever have the chance to watch one shed and then watch the wings slowly "inflate" it is very cool.  

In Texas, we get ciccada killer wasps.  HUGE wasps that will fly into the trees, sting the cicada to paralyze it, then carry the thing to the ground and shove it down a hole that the wasp dug.  Then it lays eggs on the paralyzed cicada so that the baby wasps will have a live dinner when they hatch.

The wasps are not evil and mean, and will seldom if ever sting a human,  regardless of what @AirwickWithCheese will tell you, but my boys have fun swatting them with tennis rackets anyway.

• Heart 3

10 minutes ago, parodybot said:

Take the wings off, and you can see how it would fit in the shed skin.  If you ever have the chance to watch one shed and then watch the wings slowly "inflate" it is very cool.  

In Texas, we get ciccada killer wasps.  HUGE wasps that will fly into the trees, sting the cicada to paralyze it, then carry the thing to the ground and shove it down a hole that the wasp dug.  Then it lays eggs on the paralyzed cicada so that the baby wasps will have a live dinner when they hatch.

The wasps are not evil and mean, and will seldom if ever sting a human,  regardless of what @AirwickWithCheese will tell you, but my boys have fun swatting them with tennis rackets anyway.

Mine too!  :whistle:

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I remember working the gates as a young MP in 1985 when the DC area had a 17 year cicada bloom.  At night We had then stacked up to the tops of our boots under the guard house lights.  So freaking nasty, crunch crunch with every step.

We get that with crickets in Texas.  And the smell is horrid.