British Leyland

AirwickWithCheese

Can i call dibs on the motorhome in the rear? I almost bought a spitfire of similar era. I backed out at the last minute. The sales guy was p!ssed

We had a demo job where an old vw bus was abandoned. I told my neighbor about it. He towed it out the next day. Now i have to look at it every day at the end of my driveway. ?

Next time right to the crusher!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

From memory, I think British Leyland was a natonalized truck company who presided over the final demise of MG and Triumph, doing little if anything to modernize them. - signed, Ralph Harrison. :D

Wait - apparently MG is not dead yet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Motor

The stopped assembling MGs from CHinese parts at Longbridge n 2016.  Now they all are built in China.

800px-MG_London_Piccadilly_Showroom.jpg

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Can i call dibs on the motorhome in the rear? I almost bought a spitfire of similar era. I backed out at the last minute. The sales guy was p!ssed

We had a demo job where an old vw bus was abandoned. I told my neighbor about it. He towed it out the next day. Now i have to look at it every day at the end of my driveway. ?

I will make it disappear, Mr. Scrapr.   :nodhead:

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Scrapr said:

No good deed goes unpunished!

9 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

7f26316268c408484fbc1c0c1b6e28d2.thumb.jpg.8d8ebc6811cdb0c6ebcc904f60835439.jpg

I owned on that same color. Was a love hate relationship. Cussing it out as working on it...then crank it up and take for a spin...ah, this is sweet!

It did have the advantage of when working on the engine with the hood raised forward, could sit on tire. Also, transmission removal was through the dash and out over the seats. Aside from the standard stuff like keeping oil in the carburetor, two major repairs. 1) Had to remove the transmission/bell housing twice as didn't catch the first time to resolve hard/binding shifting. Culprit was a cast iron sleeve that the throw-out bearing rides on that split flush where attaches to bell housing and easily missed on inspection. 2) A poor design feature, but does not show in photo above but see many on street with rear wheels angling out - which changes the rear strut angle and destroys the axle. There is a single leaf spring that stretches across the car attaching to the top of both rear struts. Between each leaf end is a rubber washer that wears like an eraser, making the spring longer, pushing the top of the struts further out, thus the angled rear wheels and impacting the axle connected to the bottom of the strut.

7 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Can i call dibs on the motorhome in the rear? 

When visiting my daughter in Switzerland, on a walk to town I pass by an auto repair shop. There is a motorhome that looks exactly like that paint scheme. I think the brand is Hymer. Engine and front wheels removed with front supported on jacks. I don't know which is worse - it has been there for the past three years (and probably longer) with no indication being worked on, and it is not in a secured area but between the shop and street along the sidewalk granting easy access to kids to play around and knock it off it's jacks.