YIB

jsharr

A new everyday carry pocket knife.  I gave the one I had carried for years to a young man that deserved it much more than I did.  Had been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout that met all these requirements.  It was previously owned by a friend that passed away and when his son came to visit, I knew it was only right to give it to him.

I wanted a knife that fits well in hand, has a pocket clip so it is always at hand and not lost in the bottom of a pocket, and has some sort of assisted opening.

So I began looking at knives and decided on a CRKT Argus.  It was heavily marked down as it is discontinued I think.  Under $40 delivered.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Can't say I have, in the past 10+ years or so, ever needed a knife from my pocket - except camping.

Tom

I use mine daily, from opening mail and packages to cutting rope or whatever.   I have carried a pocket knife since I was a boy and I do not feel right without one in my pocket.  Last week, I used it to cut off the end of the bosses leather belt and taper the end so it would fit into his belt buckle.   Some fancy belt where the buckle clamps onto the end of the belt away from the holes.  

Some people like nice pens, or shoes, or whatever.  I like knives.  A very useful tool to have in your pocket but these days you have to think about where you are going before hand so that you do not have to surrender it or walk back to your car and leave it there,  

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, jsharr said:

A very useful tool to have in your pocket but these days you have to think about where you are going before hand so that you do not have to surrender it or walk back to your car and leave it there,   

:D

Yep.  Times have changed.

And in a separate statement, the TSA said an Arlington, Virginia, woman was stopped at a checkpoint at Reagan National Airport on Tuesday with a loaded 9 mm handgun in her carry-on bag. There were 14 bullets in the handgun, including one in the chamber. She was cited by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:D

Yep.  Times have changed.

And in a separate statement, the TSA said an Arlington, Virginia, woman was stopped at a checkpoint at Reagan National Airport on Tuesday with a loaded 9 mm handgun in her carry-on bag. There were 14 bullets in the handgun, including one in the chamber. She was cited by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police.

Tom

See, now carrying a pistol has little to no appeal to me.  I enjoy shooting clay pigeons and plinking tin cans with the .22 rifle, but that is about it.   No desire to hunt, other than the occasional dove hunts with the boys.  I know many people that do carry, legally, and to each his own.  

I carry a small knife attached to my key chain. A spyder I believe it's called. The knife folded closed is about 1.5"  long and the blade is about a 1".  Perfect for opening a box or cutting twine or such.

I keep it with my P38 on a separate ring and then loop that with my usual keys together. If I'm going to a sporting event or traveling I unclip it and leave it behind.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I used to carry a swiss army knife.  It often came in handy.  I stopped doing carrying it after 9/11 because it was a PIA with metal detectors at entrances to some of the buildings I needed to go in.

A kid at my son’s school got expelled for a year for having a pocket knife in his backpack at school. The story my son tells is he went camping with the back pack, and forgot the knife was there when he went to school. Zero tolerance, it appears.

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

A kid at my son’s school got expelled for a year for having a pocket knife in his backpack at school. The story my son tells is he went camping with the back pack, and forgot the knife was there when he went to school. Zero tolerance, it appears.

And the school has metal detectors? Or a policy of stopping and searching bags?

Tom

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

stupid really.  Zero tolerance should not mean zero common sense.  Back in the day we got to have a parent teacher meeting because Wade drew a picture with tanks and planes for me.  

I actually kept the picture to remind me of that day of stupid.

image.thumb.png.69bee4b445fa467ff7e19e3e9f90a4f6.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

stupid really.  Zero tolerance should not mean zero common sense.  Back in the day we got to have a parent teacher meeting because Wade drew a picture with tanks and planes for me.  

Wow - his drawing could be direct copies of my childhood doodles!  Amazing. 

Tom

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

When my son went through his Army phase I let him go through my war bag and keep anything he wanted. (Forgot I had handcuffs and a baton in there!!!) Anyway I had some PT gear that had my unit and an amiable of an M16 on it. He liked the shirt and wore it to school one day.  Yeah no... the M16 violated the school policy.

They were actually pretty cool about it and had several school themed shirts they let him wear for the day, had him put the shirt in his back pack  and we just got a call reminding us of the policy.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My son got a detention for playing a first person shooting video game on his phone, shortly after the LV shooting. The teacher felt he was insensitive playing POV shooting games in school after the tragedy. I didn’t object to the punishment, because he shouldn’t have been playing games during school, but don’t agree with the linking of the two issues. 

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wow - his drawing could be direct copies of my childhood doodles!  Amazing. 

Tom

Or of almost every boy ever in the history of forever and ever.  We tell boys to "act like men" and we glamorize the armed forces and battle and winning and when they do what we tell them is glorious, we punish them.  Asinine.   

I ranted about this to the teachers that day and made the cousnselor eat his words when I asked him if he had ever drawn pictures like that when he was a kid!  

A year or two later, I had to go to school because a kid was bullying Wade, not sure why he wanted to pick on the biggest kid in class, but he did.  At one point, he tried to choke my son and my son hit him and pushed him off.   In the prinicpals office they agreed Wade was attacked, but when he put his hand on the other student, he had to be punished.   I asked them what they would do if they were the one being choked, defend themselves or wait for a teacher to come.   I also told them that our son would not be punished for defending himself.  

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Or of almost every boy ever in the history of forever and ever.  We tell boys to "act like men" and we glamorize the armed forces and battle and winning and when they do what we tell them is glorious, we punish them.  Asinine.   

I ranted about this to the teachers that day and made the cousnselor eat his words when I asked him if he had ever drawn pictures like that when he was a kid!  

A year or two later, I had to go to school because a kid was bullying Wade, not sure why he wanted to pick on the biggest kid in class, but he did.  At one point, he tried to choke my son and my son hit him and pushed him off.   In the prinicpals office they agreed Wade was attacked, but when he put his hand on the other student, he had to be punished.   I asked them what they would do if they were the one being choked, defend themselves or wait for a teacher to come.   I also told them that our son would not be punished for defending himself.  

My son got suspended for drilling the school bully who was in the process of kicking his friends ass. His friend was the prototypical nerd kid too.    

He got  a 3 day suspension, bully kid got kicked out of the school.   The Principle was pretty diplomatic about it and said given the circumstances it was the minumum suspension as district policy required suspension.  He also coordinated homework & assignments with teachers so he wouldn't be behind.  

We didn't punish him either but I did remind him to protect that right hand... Later that year he ended up breaking his right hand anyway costing him the season...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Zero tolerance should not mean zero common sense.  Back in the day we got to have a parent teacher meeting because Wade drew a picture with tanks and planes for me.  

G___ was justifiably suspended for burning his Geometry book when the class completed.  They went through his locker and discovered a paper he wrote about WWII weapons and they were VERY alarmed.  The assignment he wrote it for was to write a paper on some aspect of WWII.   

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Back in the day we got to have a parent teacher meeting because Wade drew a picture with tanks and planes for me.  

Maybe they were concerned about Wade's tactical skills.  I mean really, the aircraft carrier is much too close to shore.  The battle ship is too.  The captain of the battle ship in the NW quadrant needs to be sent to the brig.  I mean what the hell is he trying to accomplish?

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

Maybe they were concerned about Wade's tactical skills.  I mean really, the aircraft carrier is much too close to shore.  The battle ship is too.  The captain of the battle ship in the NW quadrant needs to be sent to the brig.  I mean what the hell is he trying to accomplish?

I may need to take the picture home and discuss your input with him.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Can't say I have, in the past 10+ years or so, ever needed a knife from my pocket - except camping.

Tom

I has knives of the Army Suisse, and even one of their Navy knives, one is allus in my pocket and used at least once a day, whatever I may be doing.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I still cannot adam&eve this, Thom. You are a literate fellowe are ye not, suppose one day you are penning a missive to one of your people and t’nib of thy quill becomes blunt or scratchy, so you reach for your pocket then remember you don’t carry a penknife there if you’re not camping? Intolerable and risible, Thom, you are not going equipped, olde sport.

12 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I still cannot adam&eve this, Thom. You are a literate fellowe are ye not, suppose one day you are penning a missive to one of your people and t’nib of thy quill becomes blunt or scratchy, so you reach for your pocket then remember you don’t carry a penknife there if you’re not camping? Intolerable and risible, Thom, you are not going equipped, olde sport.

If I am working on my bikes, I'm in my garage area. If I am writing or working on the laptop, I am inside. Things like that. I can't think of a reason I wouldn't just grab whatever tool or instrument I needed from the table, shelf, drawer nearby me at the time. 

I also don't generally carry a pen or pencil in my pocket (but do have them scattered about the house, office, and in my commuting bag).  Same with spoons and spanners.  Heck, same with most things.

Tom

18 minutes ago, Always Wong said:

I have my Dad's Swiss Army knife in the console of the car. I have a couple small knives/box cutters in my desk at work and several utility knives at home.  I never think about carrying one but I'm always just a step or 2 away from one.

You are surprisingly rational and normal (in this very specific case).

Tom

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

I don’t know what the battle ship is trying to accomplish, but that appears to be an Essex class aircraft carrier which would require only 29’ of water for navigation. While it is clearly closer to the island’s artilery batteries than would be desired, I don’t know that the captain is necessarily too close to shore, and I think it should be applauded that the ship is oriented in such a way that the leeward wind will facilitate plan liftoff from the ship’s deck.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You non knife people make me sad.  Every man should have a nice knife in his pocket.  The aforementioned Swiss army is a great choice.   A nice bone handled stockman maybe

Only one guy on this forum can justify having a knife at the ready in his pocket or on his belt - @sheep_herder!  All others are poseurs.

Tom

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Only one guy on this forum can justify having a knife at the ready in his pocket or on his belt - @sheep_herder!  All others are poseurs.

Tom

Thom, just because you are able to spell poseur does not give you any cause to call me one, so let me repeat, I has mine in my sky rocket ar all times and use it every day without fail. Do you want me to further justify carrying it, or will that suffice?

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

And what does mister the honourable herder of the sheeps need a knife for, on his person, at all times? To ward off delinquent lamb attacks, or jemmy a Boy Scout out of a sheep’s hoof? I don’t think so, chum. Whereas I need mine from minute to minute, I’m sharpening my pencil one minute, next I’m tweaking out a staple, Oh, now my nail is caught and needs pairing, yada yada yada. In short, you really don’t know what you talk of, man, again: I make no wonder they call you n00b still.?

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

And what does mister the honourable herder of the sheeps need a knife for, on his person, at all times? To ward off delinquent lamb attacks, or jemmy a Boy Scout out of a sheep’s hoof? I don’t think so, chum. Whereas I need mine from minute to minute, I’m sharpening my pencil one minute, next I’m tweaking out a staple, Oh, now my nail is caught and needs pairing, yada yada yada. In short, you really don’t know what you talk of, man, again: I make no wonder they call you n00b still.?

I did use a knife today.  In my kitchen!  And I grabbed it from the knife rack.  It was nuts!  It was like, "I need to cut something! What can I use to do that??? Hey wait, I'm standing in the kitchen, so maybe I'll use the knife right over there!"

It was sublime.

Tom

13 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

@Always Wong I think this is POTD worthy but you might set the parody meter into limey translation mode and make sure it says what I think it says.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I did use a knife today.  In my kitchen!  And I grabbed it from the knife rack.  It was nuts!  It was like, "I need to cut something! What can I use to do that??? Hey wait, I'm standing in the kitchen, so maybe I'll use the knife right over there!"

It was sublime.

Tom

Wiffie get a day off cooking, man: look at mister New man Thom here, folks, and his kitchen knife skills.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It was sublime.

Tom

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

Wiffie get a day off cooking, man: look at mister New man Thom here, folks, and his kitchen knife skills.

I am trying to figure out what he is making out of chopped nuts and sliced sublimes?  I am think a key sublime pie with whipped cream and chopped nuts.  Not sure I could eat the whole thing but I bet I could finish halva it or so.

• Haha 2