I like clean straw for playing and sleeping.

sheep_herder

I like clean straw and I can not lie
You other baaaaa’ers can't deny
When sheep_herder walks in with an itty bitty rake
And a round bale of fresh hay
You get sprung, want to pull up trough
'Cause you notice that bale was stuffed
Deep in the jeans he’s wearing
Is some alfalfa that he soon be sharing
Oh baby, I want to get wit'cha
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that straw you got makes me so warmy

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

Jack and Jill the neighbor’s jackass and his pregnant girlfriend (some kind of white horse) don’t get straw but they don’t care. They get a fresh round bale of hay whenever the need it so they eat it for awhile and then spread it out to make a nice place to lay. The neighbor gives them another bale to eat so they don’t have to eat their mattress.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Clean straw is clean for how long? A day? A couple days?

Depends upon several factors.  During wet periods the straw gets dirty and is lost faster than during drier periods.  Straw is used to give animals a sleeping place above the cold wet ground, and thus protect udders of lactating ewes and scrotums of rams.  It also provides a place for lambs to be born above the freezing ground.  Sometimes when lambs are born in the snow, they may suffer frost bite and even worse be frozen to the ground during extremely low temperatures.  Animals usually do not eat the straw if they are provided adequate amounts of high quality hay. When it is dry, we may only apply new straw every 2 weeks and particularly before a severe snow storm.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Jack and Jill the neighbor’s jackass and his pregnant girlfriend (some kind of white horse) don’t get straw but they don’t care. They get a fresh round bale of hay whenever the need it so they eat it for awhile and then spread it out to make a nice place to lay. The neighbor gives them another bale to eat so they don’t have to eat their mattress.

We have used stemmy hay this way, but often our hay is high enough quality that they eat most that is offered. 

19 hours ago, jsharr said:

damn you all.  that was brilliant and not one damn like.

I have an inborn and strong aversion to poetry in all forms, even written song lyrics.  It just instantly sends me running!

:runcirclsmiley:

Although I can sometimes make it all the way through a limerick if it is funny enough. :D

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Kzoo said:

You are assuming that the straw is organic.  Doubtful.

So I guess I should be safe since my compost consists mainly of fall leaves and weeds.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&ei=S8aDXOr8K4-e_Qb98LTQBQ&q=composting+straw+pesticides&oq=composting+straw+pesticides&gs_l=psy-ab.3...32252.40820..41541...12.0..0.95.1141.15......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0j0i22i30j33i160.HswgP30KTxo

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Unless you fertilize you trees or surrounding lawn with inorganic crap.  Then you will never get your leaves certified.

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Unless you fertilize you trees or surrounding lawn with inorganic crap.  Then you will never get your leaves certified.

Wow, you are the bad news bear!  So I need to see if the lawn service uses that clyposan or whatever stuff that doesn’t break down. It ain’t easy being green!  Especially not if you are also lazy and time-pressed!