Spinach au gratin

Airehead

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I have a crap ton of spinach. Do people actually like spinach au gratin?  We have had a million spinach salads but I don’t really have much experience cooking spinach. 

I love spinach and put it in everything.  Just wilted in any Italian dish is awesome.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I love spinach and put it in everything.  Just wilted in any Italian dish is awesome.  

Hey WIlbur - we went to a restaurant for brunch lately and my daughters and I all ordered the shakshuka, but sadly my homemade was better.  Sounded good but they executed poorly.  The poached egg was overdone and the flavour was just not right.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hey WIlbur - we went to a restaurant for brunch lately and my daughters and I all ordered the shakshuka, but sadly my homemade was better.  Sounded good but they executed poorly.  The poached egg was overdone and the flavour was just not right.

Well, that saddens me.  So easy to make and make well.  I read that Gordon Ramsey tests any potential chef he interviews by having them make scrambled eggs.  You can tell a lot about their ability and knowledge with a very simple dish.  I posted his recipe once here maybe a year or so ago. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Well, that saddens me.  So easy to make and make well.  I read that Gordon Ramsey tests any potential chef he interviews by having them make scrambled eggs.  You can tell a lot about their ability and knowledge with a very simple dish.  I posted his recipe once here maybe a year or so ago. 

I would think maybe I was just being over critical, but both daughters felt the same way. It wasn’t baaaad, just not as good as I expected. 

I absolutely loved it on old Gordon shows where he eats the dish and starts picking at it disgustedly and saying how awful it is  :D  Because I have felt like doing the same thing once in a while. Generally I am pretty easy to please, but hate when I pay good money for crrrap!

sorry for The aside, aire. Party on with your spinach!

From my experience, I would say that spinach is a vegetable that people tolerate because it is healthy, but struggle for a way to make it taste good on its own.  This is the reason it has to be added to dishes rather than be consumed solo or as a main veggie.  Spinach salads leave me feeling sad, too, but it is fine when added to cheesey stuff, tomatoey stuff (like lasagna, pizza, or a bit in pasta), as a a small component of salad (20% or less).  I wish I would eat more, but you buy it and much of it goes bad before you get to it, and frozey spinach is watery.

Au gratin might be nice!