Carpal tunnel syndrome, iphone, computer, etc.

shootingstar

A good friend has been experiencing prolonged stabbing/burning pain in part of her upper hand and up into her arm.  She has been diagnosed for a form of carpal tunnel syndrome. So she has arm in a support...but meanwhile she's still going to work.  At least 50% of her job involves computer office work,....writing reports, analyzing data, etc. She also does infrastructure site inspections/monitoring so she has to drive (or so she believes).

I think she's afraid of taking time off because she's afraid of losing her job....right now organization is under major budget pressures.

45 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

A good friend has been experiencing prolonged stabbing/burning pain in part of her upper hand and up into her arm.  She has been diagnosed for a form of carpal tunnel syndrome. So she has arm in a support...but meanwhile she's still going to work.  At least 50% of her job involves computer office work,....writing reports, analyzing data, etc. She also does infrastructure site inspections/monitoring so she has to drive (or so she believes).

I think she's afraid of taking time off because she's afraid of losing her job....right now organization is under major budget pressures.

Yep.  It is a by-product of technology and productivity.  I have carpel tunnel in both hands from 18 years of Blackberry/ smartphone use.   Mine is thumbs and arms.  

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Splints at night while sleeping, ergo keyboard. Anti inflammatory meds?

She's trying all. She doesn't want to get too hooked on meds.

5 minutes ago, Don Cherry said:

Yep.  It is a by-product of technology and productivity.  I have carpel tunnel in both hands from 18 years of Blackberry/ smartphone use.   Mine is thumbs and arms.  

How did you solve your problem?

3 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I have one similar to the one @late linked to..ergonomics for desk and seat height are important..taking breaks etc.

I have had carpal tunnel surgery 3 times Right and Left in the 80's and a second surgery on the left in about 2007. 

Surgry...has it helped?  Do you use iPhone much now, etc.?

I had my issues back in the olden days..before cell phones...I triggered the second issue by knitting too much..I still knit, but less...I use my cell phone..but I give it a rest..And I am very aware of hoe I hold my phone.  I had tennis elbow issues from using a tablet for reading. Yes the surgery helped and recovery wasn't long..but you do have to watch the ergonomics of your body and may have to make lifestyle adjustments

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

There are no job protections in Canada from work related injuries requiring time off?  Employment laws vary state to state here but no HR manager worth their salt would lay off an employee who was rehabbing for a worker’s compensation injury.  

Just open the check book and write their attorney a big fat check...

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

There are no job protections in Canada from work related injuries requiring time off?  Employment laws vary state to state here but no HR manager worth their salt would lay off an employee who was rehabbing for a worker’s compensation injury.  

The iPhone is a tough one....her job would only require it for site inspections which isn't that often. She also uses a work tablet plus desktop computer.

She is heavy iPhone user in her personal life...I know because I'm with her at restaurants and when she visits me.

Yes, we have workers' compensation law, etc. in our province... I'm not sure what she is planning in terms of options.  She doesn't want to retire at this time. She is in her early 50's or younger.

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The iPhone is a tough one....her job would only require it for site inspections which isn't that often. She also uses a work tablet plus desktop computer.

She is heavy iPhone user in her personal life...I know because I'm with her at restaurants and when she visits me.

Yes, we have workers' compensation law, etc. in our province... I'm not sure what she is planning in terms of options.  She doesn't want to retire at this time. She is in her early 50's or younger.

Seems she should report the work related injury & let the Dr’s and adjusters determine how much is actually work related and how much is personal.

Its not just going to get better on its own, she needs to address the injury & rehab it.

Decades ago I had to count & recount thousands of time sheets as we batched payroll by hand. I was getting tremendous pain in my hands similar to your friend from counting time sheets.  I ended up leaving that firm and within weeks of not counting time sheets it went away.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Seems she should report the work related injury & let the Dr’s and adjusters determine how much is actually work related and how much is personal.  Its not just going to get better on its own, she needs to address the injury & rehab it.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Seems she should report the work related injury & let the Dr’s and adjusters determine how much is actually work related and how much is personal.  Its not just going to get better on its own, she needs to address the injury & rehab it.

Huh double post?!?!

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Know nothing about Canada, but if the job is eliminated, you can definitely lay someone off (the optics are better if it’s a part of a group).