So colleague in China's virus city

shootingstar

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Being stuck in Wuhan would be a nightmare. Pretty soon we’ll be seeing stories of the effects of shutdown of a major metro area. Food shortages, civil unrest, lack of other medical care - stuff like dialysis or treatment of heart attacks. We’ve never had this kind of up close eye on a situation to watch through social media even though China is highly censored. I feel bad for your coworker. 

We do not know if she is communicating with my boss here. If she is, my boss is not indicating to us.  It wouldn't be surprising if she might consult with HR later if the shutdown of transportation systems (including air) lasts long.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You may hear today that many more cities in China are shut down.  At least 12.

Guesstimates are that as many as 5 million people left Wuhan before it was fully locked down.

Wuhan's mayor said that.  With long incubation period, that could lead to it taking hold elsewhere - Beijing, Honk Kong and Shanghai before really getting established in Europe and America.

I'm in late's boat. With already damaged lungs, my chances of surviving it are less than normal. How much less, I don't know. I survived viral pneumonia 2 years ago. Wasn't fun, but I don't think I was close to dying.

But we ordered our surgical masks on Amazon, so nothing to worry about.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Aren't the masks more about YOU not infecting US, rather than US not infecting YOU?  IOW, you need to order a sheot ton more masks than just ones for you to wear.

17 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Wuhan's mayor said that.  With long incubation period, that could lead to it taking hold elsewhere - Beijing, Honk Kong and Shanghai before really getting established in Europe and America.

I'm in late's boat. With already damaged lungs, my chances of surviving it are less than normal. How much less, I don't know. I survived viral pneumonia 2 years ago. Wasn't fun, but I don't think I was close to dying.

I can relate.  I currently have a rest infection and my Respirologist told me yesterday, I probably would not survive contracting the current threat.  His office is in full protection mode with masks, gloves and sanitizers.  :)  Because I have an infection, they put me in a separate waiting room. :(  I was quarantined. :)  He also told me I should be wearing a mask in public.  

• Heart 1

Esomaxx was informed on phone not to return to Shenzhen as the school opening after the holiday is delayed till further notice.  He will stay here.  They will continue to pay him and will pay for the adjustments to his flight schedule.  His problem then becomes the 30 day limit imposed by our government before he has to pay income taxes.(no more than 30 days per year in country here)  That's a few thousand dollar hit if this continues and I don't know about you but I see no immediate end to this.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Esomaxx was informed on phone not to return to Shenzhen as the school opening after the holiday is delayed till further notice.  He will stay here.  They will continue to pay him and will pay for the adjustments to his flight schedule.  His problem then becomes the 30 day limit imposed by our government before he has to pay income taxes.(no more than 30 days per year in country here)  That's a few thousand dollar hit if this continues and I don't know about you but I see no immediate end to this.

A long weekend in CAnada to reset the 30 days? 

On 1/21/2020 at 11:11 AM, Razors Edge said:

Is there a China "city" that would get the general claim as a "virus city", or, and I think this is closer to the truth, are there are a dozen of so cities in China that are often the origin/flashpoint for virus epidemics? 

I really think China has a real problem with the shear size of their cities and the likelihood that a deadly flu or other type of virus will take root and become a large outbreak or epidemic and then spread all over the place.

Regarding your coworker, she should be offered the option of working from home for a week or so after returning.  International travel - regardless of whether it goes via China - is just a VERY easy way for folks to get sick and bring germs back to the office, so why risk bringing yuckiness to the rest of you if not necessary?

Wuhan is a good candidate for a place from where an epidemic might spread. I've been there.

It is the largest city, by far, in the heart of the eastern-central part of China on the heavily-traveled Yangtze River.  It has a major university.  It is a key river port and cruise ship stop with museums, a major pensai (Chinese word for "bonsai") site with lots of small, centuries-old trees, and other attractions.  It has a very large population.  There are a lot of people moving in and out of Wuhan.

12 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Wuhan is a good candidate for a place from where an epidemic might spread. I've been there.

It is the largest city, by far, in the heart of the eastern-central part of China on the heavily-traveled Yangtze River.  It has a major university.  It is a key river port and cruise ship stop with museums, a major pensai (Chinese word for "bonsai") site with lots of small, centuries-old trees, and other attractions.  It has a very large population.  There are a lot of people moving in and out of Wuhan.

So if you were going to release a biological weapon it would be a great place to start? On the eve of Chinese New Year. If I believed in conspiracy theories...