USAA - Grrrrr! Bonehead move of all time.

Tizeye

Never thought would have this problem with any bank, much less USAA. Had a credit card for 30+ years (my second oldest), never a problem with missed payments or anything and even carry a very small balance. Suddenly got an email from Apple that my monthly $0.99 iCloud charge was denied on my wife's (same account, separate number) and tried putting mine in with same denied on cards that expire in 2021. Logged onto my USAA account and saw the denials, plus noted no credit available and a button to apply for a card. Called USAA and learned that was closed due to not responding to letter needing to document citizenship - which I never received in the mail or tossed with the other junk mail. Then never tried other methods to reach me, phone, text, email, or even a secure message in my account. Verifying that both myself and wife are citizens over the phone, they couldn't re-open a closed account and had to apply for a new one. I did and here's the rub...my old account had $22,000 credit line with 6.9% interest, the new one "graciously" gave me $6000 credit line and a 12.9% interest rate!

Held a chat session trying to get them to adjust it and "make it right". While they were shocked as they could see from their side it wasn't a BS request, but stated out of their hands as controlled by the bank. WRONG ANSWER. While noting the impact thier error would have on my credit score calculation, on my demand they escalated it to a manager with a problem ticket. In the meantime, while waiting for the "new" card I can always refuse to validate, I am going credit card shopping. I really have to question how they have earned the business irrespective of how it is resolved.

• Sad 2

One thing to be COMPLETELY agnostic on is credit cards.  There is no "good" one, and they all seem to work fine, so getting the best perks for the least cost is pretty much the game to play.  This, of course, assumes no balance ever carried, but that should be a no brainer nowadays.

Just now, UglyBob said:

There is a big USAA call center here in North Phoenix. Do you want me to go protest for you by blocking their driveway?

You could go a little further and unplug the telephone line running into that little box on the back of their building!  That'll teach em!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

You could go a little further and unplug the telephone line running into that little box on the back of their building!  That'll teach em!

I'm afraid it's a bunch of buried fiber going into that place. That being said, there's construction going on in the area and my brother has access to heavy equipment...:whistle:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Credit is aggravating. Total game.

it bothers me that people can not function without one.  These days people stopped taking cash. I am not sure how people with no credit can function right now.

Well, credit and debit (and sometimes Apple pay). But, yes, it is great for me as I hate cash, BUT it is awful for a large swath of people out there.

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

it bothers me that people can not function without one.  These days people stopped taking cash. I am not sure how people with no credit can function right now.

Is there still a coin shortage? For awhile stores were putting "change" on your loyalty card. I'm looking at you Fred Meyer. 

I hardly use cash...and never use coins. I found a penny is MIL yard the other day  It was very very thin. I thought is was from 1942. Nope...2017  I don't think I have seen this obverse side before. 

image.jpeg.e952daad99f2f8a3c6776ea00ca45bea.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Is there still a coin shortage? For awhile stores were putting "change" on your loyalty card. I'm looking at you Fred Meyer. 

I hardly use cash...and never use coins. I found a penny is MIL yard the other day  It was very very thin. I thought is was from 1942. Nope...2017  I don't think I have seen this obverse side before. 

image.jpeg.e952daad99f2f8a3c6776ea00ca45bea.jpeg

Mr Money bags hasn't seen a penny in almost a decade!!!!

40 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

That doesn’t sound like USAA. They were the standard in customer experience when I was at Navy Fed.

Same here. However, I have seen their services go down over the years. The most obvious was dropping Florida for home insurance coverage after a hurricane. Second homes immediately dropped and primary homes grandfathered in. If I sold my house today, they would not insure whatever I bought. Likewise, last month I noticed they are dropping their car buying service and some other benefits.

Actually, Navy Federal is on my short list but have to figure out which local branch "limited service" would be available as will take documents in (past statement showing prior level, approval level of new card, and chat session illustrating history)  "can you beat this?" which would be impossible online.

41 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

There is a big USAA call center here in North Phoenix. Do you want me to go protest for you by blocking their driveway?

Or perhaps I could get some hired guns - talk to Morgan & Morgan. I can obviously show damages, and no fault of my own.

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

Likewise, last month I noticed they are dropping their car buying service and some other benefits.

As they're not chasing a profit, and likewise do some form of "savings" sharing via their insurance plans, likely the car buying was just simply a drag on the system with fewer upsides than the cost to the members/"owners"?  Florida as an insurance area must be an absolute NIGHTMARE for any home insurance company.

23 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Same here. However, I have seen their services go down over the years. The most obvious was dropping Florida for home insurance coverage after a hurricane. Second homes immediately dropped and primary homes grandfathered in. If I sold my house today, they would not insure whatever I bought. Likewise, last month I noticed they are dropping their car buying service and some other benefits.

Actually, Navy Federal is on my short list but have to figure out which local branch "limited service" would be available as will take documents in (past statement showing prior level, approval level of new card, and chat session illustrating history)  "can you beat this?" which would be impossible online.

You don’t need no stinking documents. Call the 800 number. Sing your tale of USAA blues. This is what I had, can you meet or beat this? I think they would 

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Ughhh... I am looking at buying a new car. I had two credit cards close because I didn't use them, three different accounts close because I paid them off, and a single late payment in February 2014.  My credit score is 50 points lower than it was a year ago because I paid off debt. It pisses me off.