Jump to content
Square Wheels Cycling

Mountainbiking is dangerous


Recommended Posts

Someone I know, who is one fast gal, really hurt herself. She is from Bend and is a much faster rider than I am.  She crashed and broke her collar bone and shredded her ACL.  :unsure:  I am bummed for her.  I wish that hadn't happened.  

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

you people are crazy :blink:

She is a faster downhiller as well as a climber.  

I just want her to be the same after this.  Knees are tricky.  Collar bones can heal.  

There is a double black diamond that she can ride here.  It is so scary.  There are sections of it that I am just "Nope."  She cleans it all.  My husband cleans it too, and used to hold the KOM on it.  Some pros came and pushed him down the leaderboard.  I told him not to chase that one.  It has very high consequence factor.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Someone I know, who is one fast gal, really hurt herself. She is from Bend and is a much faster rider than I am.  She crashed and broke her collar bone and shredded her ACL.  :unsure:  I am bummed for her.  I wish that hadn't happened.  

If you are gonna tear that stuff up, now is better than in spring.  Better to rehab over the cold crap time and be ready to roll next year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

She is a faster downhiller as well as a climber.  

I just want her to be the same after this.  Knees are tricky.  Collar bones can heal.  

There is a double black diamond that she can ride here.  It is so scary.  There are sections of it that I am just "Nope."  She cleans it all.  My husband cleans it too, and used to hold the KOM on it.  Some pros came and pushed him down the leaderboard.  I told him not to chase that one.  It has very high consequence factor.

Cool. I took a KOM couple years ago, and some pro tied me...but didn't beat me  :D This segment is a flat stretch of rode thru my downtown area.

image.png.b3f357f1a3415ca0a462aba73793923f.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

If you are gonna tear that stuff up, now is better than in spring.  Better to rehab over the cold crap time and be ready to roll next year.

Just be SUUUUPER careful with the crutches if you have snow/ice on the ground.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadaver ACL is the way to go. Let it heal, then rehab it intelligently. It should work just fine after that. But it feels like it's taking forever.... especially when you see people in PT doing things you can't and they are 2 weeks out of knee replacement surgery. (then your doctor reminds you... psht, they have a piece of plastic in their knee)

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the mountain bikes out last weekend.  There was a scary downhill 14 feet onto the canal towpath, nailed it, no problem!

I've been trying to get my wife to do some trail riding - mountains just aren't gonna happen.  I did ride her through the woods in New Hampshire for a bit to get from the campground to the rail trail.  She didn't complain a ton, it's a start.  I think I convinced her to let me put a shock fork and knobbys on her bike.

Has anyone ever tried a shock seatpost?  Definitely would be just to reduce bumps into her bac, not for serious mountain biking

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 12string said:

We had the mountain bikes out last weekend.  There was a scary downhill 14 feet onto the canal towpath, nailed it, no problem!

I've been trying to get my wife to do some trail riding - mountains just aren't gonna happen.  I did ride her through the woods in New Hampshire for a bit to get from the campground to the rail trail.  She didn't complain a ton, it's a start.  I think I convinced her to let me put a shock fork and knobbys on her bike.

Has anyone ever tried a shock seatpost?  Definitely would be just to reduce bumps into her bac, not for serious mountain biking

I don't like them.  I am full squish with a suspension seatpost, and I need the squish for my trails.  Some of the rocks can be classified as boulder drops. 

My new bike is a coil over rear, and I love that.  So plush.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When she was young, my wild sister once said "If you want to have, you're gonna get hurt".  She took that as a lesson that getting hurt is part of life.  I took it as a lesson that I shouldn't have so much fun.  :nodhead:

I'm really sorry your friend got hurt, and I hope she heals fully.  I'm sure she accepts the risk of getting hurt as part of her overall sense of adventure, but it doesn't make it any better when it actually happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't like them.  I am full squish with a suspension seatpost, and I need the squish for my trails.  Some of the rocks can be classified as boulder drops. 

My new bike is a coil over rear, and I love that.  So plush.

Do you mean a dropper post??

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 12string said:

We had the mountain bikes out last weekend.  There was a scary downhill 14 feet onto the canal towpath, nailed it, no problem!

I've been trying to get my wife to do some trail riding - mountains just aren't gonna happen.  I did ride her through the woods in New Hampshire for a bit to get from the campground to the rail trail.  She didn't complain a ton, it's a start.  I think I convinced her to let me put a shock fork and knobbys on her bike.

Has anyone ever tried a shock seatpost?  Definitely would be just to reduce bumps into her bac, not for serious mountain biking

Not the suspension posts but I had a Niner RDO post on my HT.  It helped cut the buzz but I didn’t like how it would whip shot me towards the bars when I hit a big bump.

I have heard good things of the Redshift products but really have no 1st hand knowledge of suspension posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The full squish on my Hei Hei is amazing even when pedaling through the woods on a deer trail. It cracks me up how nice that is!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, smudge said:

Do you mean a dropper post??

Coil over shocks are what the schralpers use for the big hits & liong travel.

F9CD4BDB-288B-4155-936A-7BCF7AFCF1C4.thumb.jpeg.55b445e3b0f92fdbc3bacc48e48fa3f6.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have coil over on my bike, but she's never going to do those trails.  Just looking for something to soften the bumps on a hardtail

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smudge said:

Do you mean a dropper post??

I should have said that.  I meant dropper post, not suspension post.  Not awake today.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Coil over shocks are what the schralpers use for the big hits & liong travel.

F9CD4BDB-288B-4155-936A-7BCF7AFCF1C4.thumb.jpeg.55b445e3b0f92fdbc3bacc48e48fa3f6.jpeg

HAHA, this is my actual shock.  :happyanim:Wise pic, Mr. Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

HAHA, this is my actual shock.  :happyanim:Wise pic, Mr. Chris

Totally lucky guess but sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...