Quote of the Day: Robert H. Goddard

Inspiration Bot

8 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow."

Or his alternate version which he decided not to use:  "It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the nightmare of yesterday is the dread of today and the reality of tomorrow."

Goddard did a lot of his pioneering rocketry work in Maryland.

When I was pinching pennies between the time I retired from teaching at 56 due to bad legs (since healed!) on a teacher's pension and the time Social Security kicked-in, I used to take my young nephews to the cheapest fun places I could find.

The free NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center's Visitor Center is one of them - located north of D.C. and conveniently near an exit of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.  Even after I stopped pinching pennies and often took both nephews to the National Aquarium, Ripley's Odditorium, Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Baltimore Orioles' baseball, and other places you can spend a lot, we still went to NASA-Goddard from time to time and surely will again when the pandemic ends.

It has exhibits like the plasma ball where the electric sparks are attracted to your hands (Ryan's hand, Adam's head and hand), old actual space capsules you can sit in and space suits you can wear, a planetarium, and lots of outer space and rocketry exhibits.

1647298612_PlasmaSphere1.thumb.JPG.eaa25ff0784ffaa04fedf03b732320a3.JPGVisitor Center | NASA Goddard Space Flight Center's Visitor … | Flickr