All of this vehicle talk...

Parr8hed

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I can do a big portion of all of that shit myself. And if you spread those repairs out over another 5 years I feel like it’s still cheaper than a new 50+ thousand dollar truck. 

I am with Bikeguy on giving up DIY repairs. All I ever did was more minor stuff like just brake pads withoot touching the rotors, but I have even given up oil changes because the money saved is minimal. But it does frost my gourd that Faarstone overtightens the drain plug, overfills the Earl, and makes a mess of the plastic cowling under the car. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am with Bikeguy on giving up DIY repairs. All I ever did was more minor stuff like just brake pads withoot touching the rotors, but I have even given up oil changes because the money saved is minimal. But it does frost my gourd that Faarstone overtightens the drain plug, overfills the Earl, and makes a mess of the plastic cowling under the car. 

Some days I am there, some days not so much. I do enjoy the challenge on MY terms. It’s awfully nice that we have 3 vehicles. I always have something to drive if one of the vehicles is down for repair. That alone takes a lot of stress off if it. And the fact that the wife and I share rides in to work now makes it easier as well. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Some days I am there, some days not so much. I do enjoy the challenge on MY terms. It’s awfully nice that we have 3 vehicles. I always have something to drive if one of the vehicles is down for repair. That alone takes a lot of stress off if it. And the fact that the wife and I share rides in to work now makes it easier as well. 

The extra car(s) help - a LOT.  If a vehicle is out of commission while you wait for a part or figure out how to do something or to get the right tool or to do it wrong, retry, & sort it out, then having that extra option of a back-up car is very helpful.

I wanted to fix my coffee grinder, but just couldn't figure out how to separate two parts without completely destroying the plastic.  That is purposeful obsolescence on the part of the grinder manufacturer :angry: by sourcing a part or parts that have some limited lifespan, and making them difficult or impossible to get to for repair.  On a cheaper product, so be it :( but on a vehicle??? No way. That crap needs to be fixable and luckily, they (car companies) generally know it has to be. Really the electronic stuff is where they have us over a barrel, as that's almost guaranteed to be OEM only, and that means they set the price they like.  But if the electronics/computer bits are still working, the physical/mechanical stuff is often fixable and fixable with a discount for DIY (but requiring the tools and the knowledge and the gumption).  

The somewhat simple things CAN be dopey hard - oil changes (WTF is the filter there????), headlight replacements (why do I have to remove XYZ???), etc - but I'm usually capable of that nonsense, just don't have the space (a big garage) or want to spend the time (oil changes are FAST at a shop), so outsource them.  But I don't NEED to outsource them.  

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

All of my life I had at least two vehicles. Usually we had a vehicle for each driver in the family plus an extra one. The extra was usually a pickup or large full size van or even a motor home. It makes it nice when doing a repair and after you tear it down to repair it you find something else you need. Hop in the extra vehicle and go get the part you need. After my wife died my son asked me what I was going to do with her vehicle. His van was very old and he needed to buy something newer. I really couldn’t justify keeping two vehicles being I’m retired and don’t go to work. I gave him her van. I have to plan ahead when doing repairs so I don’t have to ride nine miles to the nearest auto parts store on my bike. I have done that when I needed a starter and my wife was at work, my son was at school, his car was at the dealership  and they were trying to fix it. 
I pulled the starter on the big Ford conversion van that we had and rode my bike to town for a replacement. I bought a remanufactured starter, brought it home and installed it. It didn’t work. I took it back off, rode back to town and exchanged it. That gets old real quick.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, petitepedal said:

$31,000 plus tax and license :whistle: however low mileage used with 15,000 miles or less was priced the same :dontknow:....I chose to sell my used car for a nice price and start making payments so I am paid off or close to it when I retire :nodhead:

the maliboo out the door was $36k. $1800 of that was extended warranty

I may be the wrong person to ask.  I just dropped about $7K into a 20 YO car, and that was doing my own work.  Good as new!

Except the sunroof shade is messed up, gotta fix that.

And the hatch latch only works sometimes, gotta fix that.

Something is rattling awful, gotta fix that..............

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

That is a question I have pondered. I know I have a couple thousand in work coming up, but for discussion lets say something major like a transmission bumping it to $10,000 or so. While I paid $31k "out the door" for the 2017 Mini that they will now give me $17k for with 70k miles. :o Wouldn't I be better applying that $10k to a new car in the $27-35K range and back under warranty rather than fixing is and still have an older car with mileage and wondering what next as I know the brakes are overdue and will need at least 2 new tires as already replaced 2 due to punctures. 

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I may be the wrong person to ask.  I just dropped about $7K into a 20 YO car, and that was doing my own work.  Good as new!

Except the sunroof shade is messed up, gotta fix that.

And the hatch latch only works sometimes, gotta fix that.

Something is rattling awful, gotta fix that..............

What car?

28 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

That is a question I have pondered. I know I have a couple thousand in work coming up, but for discussion lets say something major like a transmission bumping it to $10,000 or so. While I paid $31k "out the door" for the 2017 Mini that they will now give me $17k for with 70k miles. :o Wouldn't I be better applying that $10k to a new car in the $27-35K range and back under warranty rather than fixing is and still have an older car with mileage and wondering what next as I know the brakes are overdue and will need at least 2 new tires as already replaced 2 due to punctures. 

IF you can find what you want then yes, would prob come out ahead.  For me  a lot of it also depends on if you owe money on the current car or not?  If it is paid for seems much more tempting to just put a little money into it VS getting a loan on a newer one.  Unless you have the means to just pay cash for a new car.  But even then, who wants to part with that much cash at once?