Epson software

donkpow

8 minutes ago, donkpow said:

If I uninstall all the Epson software, can I still use the Epson all in one product to scan stuff?

To a network drive or locally to an SD card or USB stick.  The local option should always be available, but not sure if your All-in-one has that?

Our old HP all-in-one ran out of ink years ago, and I never bothered to refill it. The scanner works fine, so sometimes I still use it to scan to the SD card.  Nowadays, though, my iPhone has a scan-to-pdf/jpg built in, so easier to just use that than bother with a scanner for non-high res stuff.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

If I uninstall all the Epson software, can I still use the Epson all in one product to scan stuff?

There is the easy way to find out.   Uninstall the software and find out.

My guess... it will be gone from your computer as a device and won't be recognized as a scanner by your computer. 

16 minutes ago, donkpow said:

So you are the president of the Kzoo fan club?

When you're a big guy, if you can hire some folks to follow you around with fans, it does make life a little more pleasant.  He needs MANY folks in his club to keep him cool - even in winter in Michigan!

7 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

From the reports I have heard, no, the scanner will not work.  I will not but any Epson products.

This seems like two questions - 1) will "scan-to-network" work vs 2) will "scan to local drive" work.  To me, if he's asking if the Epson requires their software on his PC to work with the all-in-one, the answer is probably yes for any function beyond basic printing.  But most all-in-ones will have various USB & SD ports on them that allow the all-in-one to scan to and print from those removable doodads.  IOW, Don should always be able to scan to a USB thumbdrive/SD carb, and always be able to - with ink - print docs and photos from those doodads -> out off the box and long after any PCs connected to the all-in-one are disconnected.

Although, looking at their current line-up, I bet Don went with cheapest model, and it looks like those don't have SD/USB media slots :(

image.thumb.png.d5792b312f56ad14970752fff4dd7bc4.png

I'm not printing with the Epson anymore. I just need the scanner. I connect to the desktop and scan a document for download to the desktop. I use the Epson driver(s), obviously, but I don't use their scan utility. I only care if there is a lock if I remove the programs on my computer.

25 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'm not printing with the Epson anymore. I just need the scanner. I connect to the desktop and scan a document for download to the desktop. I use the Epson driver(s), obviously, but I don't use their scan utility. I only care if there is a lock if I remove the programs on my computer.

Do yourself a favor. Get yourself a dedicated Epson flatbed scanner and chunk the multi printer. You can thank me later. 

While I don't have an Epson printer (yet), I've had multiple versions of the flatbed scanner over the years, the major complaint is that their scanning software hasn't been updated for decades, which I have noticed is true over the generations I have owned. Don't know them off the top of my head, but some have switched to 3rd party software. That is the issue. If you remove the Epson software for the printer, you still need some software to communicate with the scanner. Perhaps downloading and installing Epson Scan would recognize the printer as a scanner and work. Also, if removing the printer software also removed the driver, you may need to re-install a driver.

Now for an Epson printer. Debating between two 17" wide printers, the Epson P900 and Canon Pro-1000, and both don't have no stinkn scanner attached to them! Waiting as Canon's is 7 yrs old and rumored to have a replacement announcement early this year.

• Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Get yourself a dedicated Epson flatbed scanner and chunk the multi printer.

I already have the multi printer. I went and got an HP laser jet printer. I don't have the need for color prints when the costs are factored in. I do use the scanner to scan documents into the computer. It works fine. I want to clean up my computer and there is a handful of Epson software components that I don't think I need. 

10 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Mine won't die. :angry:

My HP laser jet is pre-ink cartel days, so I can order the cheap $10 toner cartridges off Amazon and skip the HP gouging.  My home office printer is a newer Brother laser jet which also uses "cheap" toner. I won't get into the "ink as the product" cycle with companies that are supposed to be printer companies.  

But my 15+ yr old HP laser jet is great.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

I already have the multi printer. I went and got an HP laser jet printer. I don't have the need for color prints when the costs are factored in. I do use the scanner to scan documents into the computer. It works fine. I want to clean up my computer and there is a handful of Epson software components that I don't think I need. 

I have a Canon multi printer, HP color laser jet, and Epson flatbed. I use the flatbed for scanning photos, including negatives and slides, into the computer, as well as documents to pdf. Typically scan around 300 dpi, it can go up to 4800dpi which I rarely use except when digitizing 35mm film/slide that will be enlarged, and that scan capability far exceeds the output capability of most multi printers. While the flatbed will copy, I use the Canon multi for that as much easier. The Canon keep 4x6 glossy sheets in second tray that wife can print photo from phone. Laser, while color...never use laser for critical work such as printing photos. Utilitarian usage only and cheaper/faster prints of documents. With both I use cheap generic ink but the Canon has begun acting up with washed out prints even after running the printhead cleaning. Because of it ordered two 4x6 prints from Costco which is now only online as closed store kiosk. Had to laugh when the order was $0.56 and included free shipping.:D

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Costco just swapped to Shutterfly as their photo service. I think I got an email last week about it.

Well everything is going downhill. :whistle: Costco was great as could disable their auto color correct so it didn't color correct what I color corrected.

Actually, I'm going the other way and why I was referencing the $1000+ 17" wide printers (a pipedream!). Today's project is opening an Epsy store, and rather than dropship, marketing photos as signed with signature cut matte. I will use a local lab that is GREAT! Here is a generic illustration photo will use on each listing.

Shipping 1500px-1.jpg

Shipping 1500px-2.jpg