Big eclipse event here in a month

Dirtyhip

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

They expect 60+ thousand visitors to our area. It will happen right above us.

'cause you folks are in dark skies country area? Or a fantastic vantage point.   That is alot of people.  So there must be other stuff to do in your area.  

I guess I'd rather see a huge harvest moon or Milky Way.  I especially want to see northern lights.

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

'cause you folks are in dark skies country area? Or a fantastic vantage point.   That is alot of people.  So there must be other stuff to do in your area. 

It will be right above us. The eclipse people follow these events. Not much here. It will be interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you suspect your property may be trespassed upon by some of those visitors looking for a place to view the eclipse or even camp out, borrow a two or three construction lights

image.png.a6bd59f49c9d326a1334b056b05ec3ce.png

and light up the ground around your property.

People will naturally go to darker places where they can see better and they will stay away from your house automatically, and without a second thought.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If you suspect your property may be trespassed upon by some of those visitors looking for a place to view the eclipse or even camp out, borrow a two or three construction lights

image.png.a6bd59f49c9d326a1334b056b05ec3ce.png

and light up the ground around your property.

People will naturally go to darker places where they can see better and they will stay away from your house automatically, and without a second thought.

You forget my gate.  I have a compound.  No one can enter without my permission.  

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We get about 30% of the Sun obscured by the Moon on that day, October 14th.

I hope you enjoy it.

We had a near-total eclipse about half a century ago.  It was amazing.  The dogs, cats, and birds seemed to realize something was wrong and everything got quiet.  We were told not to look directly at it or it might damage our eyes, so everyone made a pinhole camera by sticking a pin or nail in a piece of cardboard and we then held it over a piece of paper to track the progress of the eclipse.

When it got to near total, I decided I had to do a quick look at the Sun. I was on my way to becoming a scientist and realized that no radiation was coming from the Sun during the eclipse that wasn't coming any other time I had glanced at it.  The potential problem was dilated pupils because it was dark outside so more of my retina would be exposed.  So I did a few real quick glances.  We didn't quite get full totality and we didn't get the "diamond ring effect" but it was a thrill, especially since I didn't go blind!

Is it just me or do we seem to have a lot of these solar and lunar eclipses?  As a kid, they felt "rare", but I guess with news being national and international nowadays, they really just seem like "regular" events.  Almost as if they are following some long ago, predetermined schedule.

:dontknow:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is it just me or do we seem to have a lot of these solar and lunar eclipses?  As a kid, they felt "rare", but I guess with news being national and international nowadays, they really just seem like "regular" events.  Almost as if they are following some long ago, predetermined schedule.

:dontknow:

The last one in our area was about a decade ago.  We are right in the path.  I am excited.

• Awesome 2
  • Like 1