It looks like too much electrical tape to me.

donkpow

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

The tape may be for handling. Those little individual wires are prickly & disproportionally painful when they stick you.

I was taught to never run my bare hand down aircraft control cables. Use a cloth instead and count the snags. Many cables had allowable limits of the number of snags per foot as long as they were spread out and not all grouped near something like a turnbuckle.

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I was taught to never run my bare hand down aircraft control cables. Use a cloth instead and count the snags. Many cables had allowable limits of the number of snags per foot as long as they were spread out and not all grouped near something like a turnbuckle.

Yep.  I taught Ryan to use a cotton ball on the inside of his tires to look for whatever caused the flat.   An old t shirt works too.   Heck your hand works but sucking on a bloody finger that taste like tire/tube is no fun.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

It’s 10 broken strands (single wire) for us, no flat spots (where the cable went over a steel edge) or birdcaging. 

• Heart 2