I broke the tractor

smudge

10 minutes ago, smudge said:

I'm hoping to go back on Wednesday to replace the pin

Get at least 2 shear pins, then you will have a spare.  And it will save you a trip for the next time it does it thing.  

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

I suspect Smudge is speaking English, but I don't really understand a thing she's saying.  Kudos to you for even knowing what a shear pin is!   I went to get some takeout for lunch today and was afraid the roads might not be 100% cleared. :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

who needs a shear pin? Just get a regular bolt.. I know when I busted the one on my auger for the snowblower, I just shoved a nail in the opening and bent it.. no problems after that. Granted I was using it for seeing how far I could launch frozen newspapers. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

who needs a shear pin? Just get a regular bolt.. I know when I busted the one on my auger for the snowblower, I just shoved a nail in the opening and bent it.. no problems after that. Granted I was using it for seeing how far I could launch frozen newspapers. 

Of COURSE you were! 😆

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Kudos to you for even knowing what a shear pin is! 

If there is some object (like a rock) that gets sucked into the snow blower, and it gets jammed between the frame and the rotating auger, usually something will break, because the motor is still trying to turn the auger.  The shear pin is weak enough to break first before something expensive would break.  The motor keeps running and is not damaged, the auger survives too because it is not longer connected to the motor.

• Thank You 1

I sheared pins all the time when I had gravel in my driveway. I had to buy new gravel every year (I think the Chinese got all my gravel now). The last time I bought milled blacktop instead of gravel and I quit shearing pins and I haven’t had to add any more for about ten years.

• Like 1