Dive bar lunch

23 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

We’d call it a bar if we were in Wisconsin. Here, it’s a dive bar. 

This is a Dive Bar....Yes they are Wisconsin dive bars. 

Unusual Dive Bar in Wisconsin Will Leave You Scratching Your Head

dam+sallon004.jpg

I don't know how these places remain open

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Of the 4 bars in my neighborhood, only one is dive bar. We do have a street in town with probably 10 dive bars, most of which I’ve never been to. Downtown has 3 or 4, if the strip joint counts, also which I’ve never been to.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, BR46 said:

In Wisconsin it just called a bar.

I've wondered when the term dive bar was invented. Because modern bars now seem like family restaurants:wacko: I reckon when my parents were in their 20s, bars were just bars, nothing fancy :D  so today's dive bars were yesterdays bars ;) 

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, smudge said:

I had lunch at The Vierling yesterday. House pale ale, Cuban sandwich. Beer was good, sandwich was ok; have had better there in the past. Not a dive bar.

IMG_20240310_141851.thumb.jpg.51a6d5653b94aaee41865d4698f343f4.jpg

delicious. I've never had an authentic cuban, but the fake was was good. I'd like to try a real one :)so next time I'm at the Babalu :D 

The Vienna Inn opened in 1960. Previously it was an ice cream shop. Located adjacent to the Washington and Old Dominion railroad that was eventually converted into the W&OD trail, 46 miles from Arlington Va to Purcellville VA. Mike and Molly Abrams sold pizza, chili dogs, and beer to the blue collar community that was Vienna at the time. Time marches on and it’s no longer blue collar but wealthy people but the VI remains the same. If you visit the area and meet up; it’s likely we will dine there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've wondered when the term dive bar was invented. Because modern bars now seem like family restaurants:wacko: I reckon when my parents were in their 20s, bars were just bars, nothing fancy :D  so today's dive bars were yesterdays bars ;) 

I hate sports bars. High ceilings, 200 seats, over priced beers, 50 TVs and nobody knows how to turn channels.....heavin forbid that you ask if you can watch a motorcycle race on their TVs. 

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, team scooter said:

My retirement plan is simple, to visit as many of the 100s of Northwoods bars on the snowmobile as I can before I die. 

We stopped at a little bar in the Northwoods with a group of motorcycles.

One lady in the group asked if they had any wine. The bar tender said yes but someone is using the wine glass at the moment. 

He was serious 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

Bar I hung out in after ( maybe during ) high school, was a bone fide dive bar. 

A well dressed fellow with his well dressed date asked for a brandy alexander, the bartender politely told him that they didn't serve fancy drinks here, the bar right up the street would be the place to go.

The well dressed, but obtuse, fellow insisted he would buy a brandy alexander for his date, HERE.

The bartender calmly punched him in nose. Dropped him like a sack of potatoes.

Guy standing at the bar next to him suggested it might be a good time to leave. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

We stopped at a little bar in the Northwoods with a group of motorcycles.

One lady in the group asked if they had any wine. The bar tender said yes but someone is using the wine glass at the moment. 

He was serious 

Short version of a long story: I was first place loser in a homebrew contest. I won $20 at a dive bar. (Winner was the house beer) l invited the whole crew from work. Boss lady asked if they have any wine. Yeah, we have two kinds, red and white. Not sure she’s been back. Tab at the end of the night was over $100.

• Heart 2