The junk shop is open

There has been a junk shop in town for at least two years, but I have never seen it open. (I have been keeping an eye on it because my son loves such things - he’s a talented “flipper”). The last few weekends it’s been open on the weekend, and from the signage I get the impression they’re trying to blow the stuff out because they’re moving. (Is it possible to go out of business if you never were in business?)

I was on my way back from the LGS, noticed it open, so I stopped in:

IMG_4661.thumb.jpeg.52b217db7d80626a680675cac03242e9.jpeg

Yup, it’s a bunch of junk…. Didn’t see anything I just couldn’t live without, so I texted this picture to my son and told him it was open.

As I was typing this, I got a text from him that said “Thanks! I just cleaned up on some comic books!” 🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So when he hauls some "junk" home, it takes up space and you just hope he'll sell it off --eventually?  Does he focus on certain types of items? Or he is assigned to a certain limited space at home?

He knows his stuff.  He’s been known to frequent garage sales and do stuff like buy an entire box of old Nintendo games for five bucks and then turn around and sell them on FleaBay for $25…each. Rare vinyl and comic books are other stuff he’s flipped

As far as taking up space at home, well, that’s his mother’s problem. Given the state of her house, I doubt she notices.

5 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Holy cow!  We have those exact same chairs.  They are very nice.

We did too until we bought a new dining room table and chairs last year! Ours were starting to fall apart with some of the pegs popping out.

My grandpa was not a hoarder, but he loved to find treasures in the junk piles. I learned to find the treasures in the junk from him. 
Like him, I didn’t hoard, but I had to let a lot of things go when we moved here because we have less storage space. I could probably find some things in that junk pile, but I wouldn’t know what to do with them now. 

19 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

We did too until we bought a new dining room table and chairs last year! Ours were starting to fall apart with some of the pegs popping out.

We have been taking care of two of them for friends who have no room in their townhouse,  They are very old and very well made, and no issues atoll with them.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You can never have enough muffin tins, knife sets and mason jars.  :nodhead:

I could maybe….maybe…use another muffin tin, but those knives are complete crap and I already have a metric shit-ton of canning jars including a few of that type. I’m told the Amish women snap those up at garage sales I’m not sure if they use that type.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

garage sales I’m not sure if they use that type.

The jars with a wire are common at the makers market here, filled with bath products, drink mix, turned into candles…

Just now, MoseySusan said:

The jars with a wire are common at the makers market here, filled with bath products, drink mix, turned into candles…

Yeah I’ve seen people keep dry stuff like pasta in them. :dontknow:

We have 5 of them that we don’t use. Think the shop would notice if I added them?

• Haha 1

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah I’ve seen people keep dry stuff like pasta in them. :dontknow:

We have 5 of them that we don’t use. Think the shop would notice if I added them?

No. Maybe they’d appreciate it if you could see clear to throw in a box. 

Lovely stuffed chairs in that photo.  

After moving twice with my possessions and furniture  in Canada to each location 1,000+ km. apart, I have less interest in browsing in 2nd hand shops.  I never had interest even before those major home relocations.  That includes clothes. I was never a consignment clothing shop either. Latter is unsatisfactory experience since I'm petite in frame and short.   

Over the decades, I've ended up giving away stuff. Right now, it's slowly giving away books.  

SQW collectively could have a rousing barn sale of used stuff!  :party:

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have less interest in browsing in 2nd hand shops.  I never had interest even before those major home relocations.

We've been here 25+ years so some stuff has accumulated. I'm all about the getting-rid-of thing. I mostly give stuff away because I can't be bothered to deal with the window-lickers on Craigslist. 

Junk shops are mildly amusing to browse but there's very little danger of me actually bringing anything home.

That includes clothes

Clothes I wear until I look homeless and then I buy more, online. As long as they don't go and change stuff on me, I can be done clothes shopping in about ten minutes

Right now, it's slowly giving away books.

I read them - some twice - and then pass them on to TK. When he brings them back, I donate them to the library. They can keep them, sell them or give them away.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

We've been here 25+ years so some stuff has accumulated. I'm all about the getting-rid-of thing. I mostly give stuff away because I can't be bothered to deal with the window-lickers on Craigslist. 

Junk shops are mildly amusing to browse but there's very little danger of me actually bringing anything home.

Clothes I wear until I look homeless and then I buy more, online. As long as they don't go and change stuff on me, I can be done clothes shopping in about ten minutes

I read them - some twice - and then pass them on to TK. When he brings them back, I donate them to the library. They can keep them, sell them or give them away.

Yes, there are some bks., I've read twice. I consider that a very worthwhile purchase before giving them away. What is interesting, there a number of books that I have that are titles out of print.  Not even necessarily in e-book or at a very high (obscene) price. Shockingly expensive now.

23 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yup, it’s a bunch of junk

ARGH!!!  But..about what you expected.

I watched a YouTube the other day for folks visiting Helen GA in Christmas time (alpine village theme).  Other than making me feel like I will NEVER visit Helen GA, it was interesting to see when they dropped into an "antique" store and it was just an overwhelming collection of junk. Something about stores like that irritate me on a base level. :dontknow:  My wife want to sell a crap ton of our stuff at a local flea market, and I'm staying quiet on it, but think we'd be 100x better dropping it at a goodwill or just making a dump run. 

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Something about stores like that irritate me on a base level. :dontknow:

They amuse me more than anything. "People actually BUY this stuff??" Sometimes it's fun to see stuff from the past I'd forgotten about, but do I want to own it? Hell no.

My wife want to sell a crap ton of our stuff at a local flea market, and I'm staying quiet on it,

Good move. Unless you're willing to waste a lot of time - and you don't put a dollar figure on your time - it's just not worth it. I have heard many, many tales of people who sat in their garage all weekend to sell $2 worth of merchandise. One of my former cow-orkers apparently failed math - he was bragging about making $500 at his garage sale and I asked him how much he'd paid for the stuff he'd sold. He acted like I had asked the question in Swahili. "So you sold $1000 worth of stuff for $500 and somehow that's a $500 profit???" He stopped talking to me.

but think we'd be 100x better dropping it at a goodwill or just making a dump run. 

I don't even go that far. Putting it out by the side of the road has never failed me yet no matter what I've put out there.

• Like 1