Speaking Of Vacations

Razors Edge

It was nice in Europe because countries were just a train hop away. I hit a lot of them during a summer trip through school many moons ago. I also find it funny how some Europeans think if you have not been to more then 5 countries you are not well traveled. 

8 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I also find it funny how some Europeans think if you have not been to more then 5 countries you are not well traveled. 

Probably a fair assessment?

But, yeah, that's sort of the nice thing from his video is that you can piece together a mix of itineraries without spending a summer there.  I recognize a lot of that in our earlier travel, where we did similar trips to his because of time and money.  All of his suggestions we've done large parts of, and I think he really hit some good & straightforward trips.  I'd tweak each one, but he sort of talks about that as he goes along.

• Heart 1

How I explain to some locals here (especially those living in small towns/very car dependent): 

Get familiar using our local LRT system in CAnada's big cities and enjoy travelling our big cities first.  Then your transition travelling in Europe and parts of Asia using their train systems ,...will be so much easier for you.  Less car dependency.

For sure, I've converted 1 long-time friend who grew up in town of 2,000 and now works in city of 30,000.  She willingly travels to Toronto on her own, with variations along the way to other small cities by train.

Every time she visited Toronto to see me, I would plan for us to use the subway train system to certain interesting things to do/see and find places to eat. 

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...I liked this guy's recent video on reasonable vacation itineraries in Europe.  He breaks out 7 fairly straightforward trips that take in some great places to visit, all wrapped in manageable week-ish time frames.

If you've never made a trip overseas or are a bit rusty after time at home or just looking for some fresh ideas, these are all good starts and can be stretched or shrunk to your time & budget.

Ok, I'm not as drawn to ancient Roman ruins in Italy.  We didn't have enough time in Rome and to me, very big and crowded. It would require a certain amount of days.  I did go to the Vatican and yes, it's worthwhile.   I need to see Florence again for 2-3 days at least. 

Germany: 

Instead, fly into Frankfurt. Take train to Karlsruhle or go to Freiburg.  You can bike across the border only 30 km.  from Karslruhle to Strausborg in France.  This is the wine region in Germany which has more small medieval, Renaissance towns, etc. Very scenic. I'm not into beer traditions as shown in Bavaria in Munich, etc.  I did go to Munich to some beer hall.  Not really that interesting to me....vs. German wine and dinner in quality German restaurant.

Prague is amazing...so many layers of building architectural history in small downtown area. Ranging from medieval to art nouveau. It is mind-boggling architectural history variety.  Which also includes very old large cathedrals, etc.  900 Years of Architectural Legacy: Why Prague is a Royal Empress – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

Croatia one day. Don't know when.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I'm just about ready to go..could use an influx of cash :whistle:

My strong suggestion would be to start paying attention to trends NOW - especially for flights.  The more you know, the more you can jump on a good deal when you see it.

I'd also suggest flexibility - ie having a few places that interest you so when any one of them comes up as a good deal, jump on it.

Another thing is subscribing to various email alerts - whether flight price trackers or "best deals this week" sort of thing.  I get regular ones from places like TravelZoo.

Also, don't discount taking a tour with a company. Folks like Gate 1 or Indus regularly have nice deals on really neat places.  Those are ZERO stress vacations as the planning is done for you. Restrictive in some respects, but not as much as you might think.

And, of course, if the $$$ matter up front, create and stick to a "travel fund" where $XX out of every paycheck go into the fund, and let it save up on auto.  

• Heart 1

We are set for flights and accommodation in Scotland and Ireland in the fall. We still need to look into insurance, a license to drive and car rental, cell phone use and a GPS, and purchasing admissions early where necessary. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

We are set for flights and accommodation in Scotland and Ireland in the fall. We still need to look into insurance, a license to drive and car rental, cell phone use and a GPS, and purchasing admissions early where necessary. 

Your CC and your own auto insurance should be all you need, but verify first! And the dopey international driver card is available at AAA.  We've been doing esims for our phones - easy and relatively cheap.   GPS is always just my phone, but if you are worried you won't be near a cell for the data portion, you can always download maps in Google Maps ahead of time to your phone, so the GPS (coordinates) have an overlay (Google Maps) no matter if on or off a cell network.  Not 100% perfect (ie route planning needs a network connection - wifi or cell) but good enough to always know where you are.

We missed the Anne Frank house tour recently because we waited too long.  Most places aren't as restrictive or busy, but certainly worth getting tickets once you know your plans. Likely can download the apps for those places now too.

I've only made it to 5 countries so far.  Although, when I go to another country and have this discussion, I list Ohio and Texas as "other countries".

We are seriously thinking of going to Spain for the 2026 eclipse.   We have an invitation to Scotland to visit future SiL's family.  There's talk of a Phillipines trip to see kid in laws' families.  I need to retire so we have time.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We've been doing esims for our phones - easy and relatively cheap.   GPS is always just my phone, but if you are worried you won't be near a cell for the data portion, you can always download maps in Google Maps ahead of time to your phone, so the GPS (coordinates) have an overlay (Google Maps) no matter if on or off a cell network.  Not 100% perfect (ie route planning needs a network connection - wifi or cell) but good enough to always know where you are.

eSIMs. I’ll look into that. I don’t remember what we did for phone service last time we went to Europe. We will have to download detailed navigation, though. A few places in the Scottish moors and in rural Ireland may not have cell coverage for using the gps navigation. But it’s also something to ask the people who live there about, which I’m okay doing. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

We missed the Anne Frank house tour recently because we waited too long

The Jacobite Train scenic railway is the one we’re watching daily. They had to cancel the trains because the door locks on these historic coaches aren’t up to modern safety standards. But were recently granted a waiver. Like last week. So, they’re gradually adding back trains and cars tentatively. The government could decide to shut it down again. We’re #11 on a waiting list. 

19 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

eSIMs. I’ll look into that. I don’t remember what we did for phone service last time we went to Europe. We will have to download detailed navigation, though. A few places in the Scottish moors and in rural Ireland may not have cell coverage for using the gps navigation. But it’s also something to ask the people who live there about, which I’m okay doing. 

eSims are super easy and you can get them ahead of the trip, set them up, but then turn them "on" when you land. All modern cell phones can handle them.

For "GPS", keep in mind it works ANYWHERE in the world as long as it can see the sky.  Your phone will always know where you are as long as you're not in a tunnel or heavily obstructed place. BUT, it will only know the GPS coordinates for where you are, when in reality, a human needs those coordinated plotted on a MAP (overlay).  So, for a phone, the options are 1) "pre-download the map overlays (in Google Maps)" which will give you a ready representation of those coordinates on a Google Map assuming the area was part of your downloaded maps or 2) have a data plan/wifi when using the Google Maps (or Apple Maps) and it will take the coordinates and constantly pull down the appropriate map overlay in real time.  

Obviously, the upside of real time is that it enables all the smart stuff Google maps can do like routing for speed, avoid tolls, no highways, whatever. Plus it will always be updating traffic conditions and the names of stores nearby and links to their reviews, etc..  But with no or a dodgy internet connection, that turns to useless fairly fast.  For me, I'm usually going to download a map(s) of a city for offline use, but I also generally have wifi via the esim or hotel.  A while back, I didn't bother with an esim for a city trip, and relied on the hotel, museum, and cafe wifi - which worked great with the downloaded maps, BUT I realized it didn't work when out and about and asking Google Maps for the quickest walking path between two points since it needed the internet for that effort.

An "old school" Garmin/TomTom/etc GPS will come with regional maps already downloaded (same as cars used to).  If you rent a car, it may most likely have all the GPS function you need built into it already or they may "rent" one to you for a fee.  If you were to bring your classic GPS from home with you to Scotland, likely you would NOT have the UK maps on the device, so possibly would essentially have the same situation as Google Maps on your phone with no internet.

19 hours ago, 12string said:

We are seriously thinking of going to Spain for the 2026 eclipse.

What part of the country? And what else would you do while in Spain? 

Spain in the next country on our international travel list. A few days along El Camino de Santiago is part of the plan. 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's in the North for the first eclipse

In AUGUST!!! What kind of nutter would be out hiking in the middle of August when it’s scorching hot? 

Late September is the best time to be outdoors. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

22 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

What part of the country? And what else would you do while in Spain? 

Spain in the next country on our international travel list. A few days along El Camino de Santiago is part of the plan. 

La Palma.  From there, you get a sunset eclipse over the Mediterranean Sea.  Looks like there's plenty of cool stuff on that island.  We'll probably only go for about 5 days.  Extra days in case they have to move the eclipse to the rain date

Now don't go telling everyone, there are not unlimited hotels there

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

La Palma.  From there, you get a sunset eclipse over the Mediterranean Sea.  Looks like there's plenty of cool stuff on that island.  We'll probably only go for about 5 days.  Extra days in case they have to move the eclipse to the rain date

Now don't go telling everyone, there are not unlimited hotels there

Palma seemed to have boundless hotels :D  But lots of visitors too. It does look like the eclipse ends just after passing over the island.  I think you are right about the coolness of a "sunset eclipse"!  Maybe need to hustle to the other side of the island though for that.

map_08122026_1.png

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Palma seemed to have boundless hotels :D  But lots of visitors too. It does look like the eclipse ends just after passing over the island.  I think you are right about the coolness of a "sunset eclipse"!  Maybe need to hustle to the other side of the island though for that.

map_08122026_1.png

right.  PALMA.  Not La Palma.

I'm counting on OTHER people to mix that up and save me hotel space.

I am expecting it to be crazy crowded.  But I saw the last eclipse with about150,000 friends, that was fun

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I've been to Europe 3 times and was even married there.  I must say it was not overrated. But I wouldn't waste my time on 10 day trips.  You need a bare minimum of 3 if you want to make it worth your time.

Instead of ONE trip every decade, why not MULTIPLE trips per year?  Seems like your plan is more an "all or nothing" approach which would rarely be my recommendation for anything. :D

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Instead of ONE trip every decade, why not MULTIPLE trips per year?  Seems like your plan is more an "all or nothing" approach which would rarely be my recommendation for anything. :D

I wasn't married then you moron.  Now I'm just another lemming going to work and dying on American soil and listening to guys like @Kzoo tell us how great it is.  :lol:.

22 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I wasn't married then you moron.  Now I'm just another lemming going to work and dying on American soil and listening to guys like @Kzoo tell us how great it is.  :lol:.

???

What does married have to do with it?  A "normal" person takes 1 to 2 week vacations, so the video above, and even posts like 12string's & Mosey's are along the lines of that type of trip.  For folks getting into or returning to travel - in the US or the world - you gotta start somewhere or you end up "putting it off and putting it off and putting it off" because someone suggested the only way to do it was longer than you had time or money for.  What a tough regret it would be to say "I didn't see the Sistine Chapel because I only had a week to visit Rome and someone on the internet thought I was wasting my time if I didn't go for at least a few weeks".  

???

What does married have to do with it?  A "normal" person takes 1 to 2 week vacations, so the video above, and even posts like 12string's & Mosey's are along the lines of that type of trip.  For folks getting into or returning to travel - in the US or the world - you gotta start somewhere or you end up "putting it off and putting it off and putting it off" because someone suggested the only way to do it was longer than you had time or money for.  What a tough regret it would be to say "I didn't see the Sistine Chapel because I only had a week to visit Rome and someone on the internet thought I was wasting my time if I didn't go for at least a few weeks".  

It implies I was younger then.  I don't do overseas traveling unless I have 3 weeks.  Dems da rules.

7 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I did a 3 week tour on one trip.  The other two were 6 weeks.  You should try it sometime.

FTR, California "requires" far more than a week, too.  Maybe put that trip off until you have at least 6 weeks to explore. :dontknow:

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR, California "requires" far more than a week, too.  Maybe put that trip off until you have at least 6 weeks to explore. :dontknow:

OMG. Zero time zone change here. For us Left coasters, it’s a 9 hour difference to Europe which is almost an invert. I don’t do time differences well. I’m a lackey just visiting your time zone. But I would do two weeks out there no problem 

I think Europe as a vacation makes much more sense as an option if you live in the EST.  Back here in hickville, that trip is not so attractive and the older I get the less I'm interested. Plus any trip that requires me to cross over like 8 or 9 timezones is not going to happen unless I have 3 weeks or longer.  Preferably longer. But for you, I could probably make the 5 hours thing work too.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

OMG. Zero time zone change here. For us Left coasters, it’s a 9 hour difference to Europe which is almost an invert. I don’t do time differences well. I’m a lackey just visiting your time zone. But I would do two weeks out there no problem 

Wimp.  You need more than a good night's sleep to recover from a flight?  

6 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I think Europe as a vacation makes much more sense as an option if you live in the EST.  Back here in hickville, that trip is not so attractive and the older I get the less I'm interested. Plus any trip that requires me to cross over like 8 or 9 timezones is not going to happen unless I have 3 weeks or longer.  Preferably longer. But for you, I could probably make the 5 hours thing work too.

I'm frankly amazed at how many older folks - ie 65+ - I see on vacation. And not months long vacations. Just one or two weeks and from WA or CA or TX or other non-East Coast cities. :dontknow:

11 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I remember as a teen visiting Holland and arriving at 9 PM and got to my aunts place around 10:30 PM.  This was after a 13 hour flight.  Well it’s still light in Northern Europe at that time in summer so I assumed it was 10:30 AM.  

I was so not ready for bed….

• Like 1

I'm frankly amazed at how many older folks - ie 65+ - I see on vacation. And not months long vacations. Just one or two weeks and from WA or CA or TX or other non-East Coast cities. :dontknow:

Listen shorter vacations are incredible.  I make them all the time.  We are going for a week.  I just don't do time zone changes well anymore.  I mean 3 zones or so are OK but anything more than that is hard on me.   So if I'm going to go to all that time and expense to do it, then I want to make it worth my time.  But I could fly in and out of Washington D.C. and harass you and @Parsnip Totin Jack no problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I remember as a teen visiting Holland and arriving at 9 PM and got to my aunts place around 10:30 PM.  This was after a 13 hour flight.  Well it’s still light in Northern Europe at that time in summer so I assumed it was 10:30 AM.  

I was so not ready for bed….

I wasn't either when I went over there at 33.  It was exhilarating.  But now that's "been there, done that", while still very exciting, the level of excitement is not enough for me to go through all that for 10 days.  But that's just me.

11 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

How about next January? I’m thinking I’d like to hear an inaugural speech in person, and 2025 looks like as interesting a year as any. 

8 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Come on down! We’ll feed you well. At least I will. 

Jack in all his enamel is a gentleman. It’s RE I’m concerned about.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

How about next January? I’m thinking I’d like to hear an inaugural speech in person, and 2025 looks like as interesting a year as any. 

I have never been to one either, that would be cool. Literally!  My brother was buried in Arlington Cemetery 10 years ago next year.  One of my sisters is talking about a visit as well next year.  

• Like 1