Do you remember the '76 Olympics...

Green Grass

Yeah actually I remember quiet a bit of it.  I remember Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon and his mug all over the Wheaties boxes.  My dad was huge into boxing so I recall Sugar Ray Leonard won the gold as well as the Spinks (SP?) brothers. My dad had his two front teeth bashed in during a work accident and for a while he had no teeth before they were permanently fixed.  It was about this time though that his teeth were missing/not fixed yet so we called him "Leon" as Leon Spinks was missing his two front teeth like my dad.  

I believe 76 was also the year Nadia Comeninci (Sp?) got the perfect 10 in gymnastics.  I was 10 YO during the 76 games but do remember watching it with my dad.  I think the 76 Olympics stand out for me as we didn't participate in the 80 games and my dad died in 81 so that would have been the last time we watched the Olympics with him.  He was a huge sports nut and would've been glued to the TV during the games. 

• Heart 4

43 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah actually I remember quiet a bit of it.  I remember Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon and his mug all over the Wheaties boxes.  My dad was huge into boxing so I recall Sugar Ray Leonard won the gold as well as the Spinks (SP?) brothers. My dad had his two front teeth bashed in during a work accident and for a while he had no teeth before they were permanently fixed.  It was about this time though that his teeth were missing/not fixed yet so we called him "Leon" as Leon Spinks was missing his two front teeth like my dad.  

I believe 76 was also the year Nadia Comeninci (Sp?) got the perfect 10 in gymnastics.  I was 10 YO during the 76 games but do remember watching it with my dad.  I think the 76 Olympics stand out for me as we didn't participate in the 80 games and my dad died in 81 so that would have been the last time we watched the Olympics with him.  He was a huge sports nut and would've been glued to the TV during the games. 

I was 6.  So it's the first Olympics I can remember.  I too watched with my dad.  Funny, my strongest memories are the same as yours, boxing and women's gymnastics.  I had a little boy crush on Nadia Comanici.

I do. Much of team USA spent the week or so prior at the college in Plattsburgh NY. The canoe/kayak team practiced at the beach on the river where us kids hung out. I got too meet a bunch of the athletes and they gave me some cool stuff.