Working from home

Chris...

As in, starting a small business working out of your home. I am Making a pitch this morning to a company that restores soda machines and is licensed to sell reproduction Coca Cola decals. I plan on trying to get some of their decal business. Anyone here have any comments or suggestions, serious or otherwise.

I'm home officed and there are benefits but drawbacks too.

Benefits: No daily commute, you can work in your gym shorts & t-shirt and with no coworkers you can get a lot done with few interruptions and lots of flexibility.  

Negatives: Working at home leaves lots of distractions, you have to be focused.  The kitchen is too close... Depending on if you have young kids managing them when home is tough.  When my son was home for summer it was hard to work from home. I also had to educate my wife that since I work from home doesn't mean I can do the honey do's or take the kids to Dr's appointments whenever she schedules them... It can take over your house too if you are tight on space like me.  My dresser doubles as file storage, my garage has a bunch of work crap in it and since my bedroom is my office I have to look at my office when I go to bed and when I wake up...  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I'm home officed and there are benefits but drawbacks too.

Benefits: No daily commute, you can work in your gym shorts & t-shirt and with no coworkers you can get a lot done with few interruptions and lots of flexibility.  

Negatives: Working at home leaves lots of distractions, you have to be focused.  The kitchen is too close... Depending on if you have young kids managing them when home is tough.  When my son was home for summer it was hard to work from home. I also had to educate my wife that since I work from home doesn't mean I can do the honey do's or take the kids to Dr's appointments whenever she schedules them... It can take over your house too if you are tight on space like me.  My dresser doubles as file storage, my garage has a bunch of work crap in it and since my bedroom is my office I have to look at my office when I go to bed and when I wake up...  

I'm going to work in the basement. The kids are grown so no problems there. The distraction part could be a problem. The couch and TV are right there.

You may want to check your local zoning laws about what type of businesses can operate from home if you're in a residential area.  Once you know that, then you'll know what tell-tales to avoid so you don't tip off any nosy neighbors that you're running a business from home.  You don't want a visit from a Permit Lady (they're everywhere!) citing you for running an illegal home business because the neighbors ratted you out.