Well today sucked

JerrySTL

Started out good as I got in a 20 mile ride before work to beat the heat.

Work was a mess as usual. Didn't even get to eat lunch until 1:30 pm.

Found out that a friend was hit by a truck and is in bad condition. He was riding across the USA for his third time and was hit somewhere near Idaho. More to come when I find out.

Remember that I said 'beat the heat'? It beat me. The AC on my car isn't working and it hit triple digits outside. Tried to add some refrigerant but it wouldn't take any. Compressor is kicking off and on. Both fans are working. Blend door is working. I have an appointment on Saturday. Probably won't get the car back until Tuesday. I actually dodged a bullet there as I was going to drive it from St. Louis to Cincinnati in a couple of weeks.

Well...can I join the club?  Got to work only to find out they were cleaning the plumbing stacks...attempt #3 (or 4) it has never been done in the 35 or so years of the building...went okay except for some units that have some "construction" issues...oh and the apartment where it all just backed up out of the toilet...nasty black sludge... So I am listening to maintenance on the radio monitoring and calling folks..the TV guy comes in cos we are still trying to resolve weird issues..so I am helping him...my co-worker who needs to retire..her husband is in the  hospital and she is leaving can I monitor her educational program...oh and it is blood pressure day and being good...I got mine taken.. 128 over 90....:angry:  On the plus side...I announced to a couple of tables of card playing residents that they were raising my BP...and one of the ladies hollered out "Mission Accomplished" :D

Oh...since I am leaving town tomorrow...I stopped to get carry out or drive thru or whatever...they all had lines...90 degrees NO ONE wants to cook.....I came home foodless :(

4 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

On the plus side...I announced to a couple of tables of card playing residents that they were raising my BP...and one of the ladies hollered out "Mission Accomplished" :D

....I came home foodless :(

Sounds like your residents are a load of fun! 

Your diet's going well isn't it?

Jerry sorry about your friend. 

I found a dead ewe this morning and finally got her loaded on the tractor this afternoon.  It was a messy job, now I have to change gloves and pants. Hopefully, it is past suppertime for most of you. Otherwise, it was a great day and much cooler than it has been.:)

The last couple of days - 

Yesterday morning I got in a 26 mile bike ride in the morning before it got hot. It was a nice ride. I showered when I got back with plans to take DoW to her first chemo appointment. About the time we were supposed to leave, she came out in tears saying she had another bleeding episode. We called the oncologist and were told to go to the ER. 

The ER admissions lady started to take DoW's info on a white sheet of paper, saw how pale DoW was and grabbed a red paper. We moved to 3 different rooms in the ER area. They said her hemoglobin was a 5.0! :runcirclsmiley:Time for 4 units of blood! They said they were going to get her some fluids by IV and it would be a while. It was now 2pm so I went to grab some lunch. I wasn't gone long, but they moved her to a regular room to keep her for observation. By 6pm they decided to keep her for the night. I went back to the house and did dishes and laundry and a few other things she hasn't had the strength to do. 

This morning, I touched base and they were running some more tests. They were planning to release her, but I easily had time to get a workout at the gym. After the gym, there was a Starbucks across the street I drove my car over to get a cup. 

As I was walking to my car 3 teenagers were in a car that parked next to me. Their angle was a bit tight, but I figured I could get out. I would wait for them to exit the car then I would leave. I got a text from WoW and was answering it before I drove. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the teen's car moving and it was VERY close to my car! I reached to open the door and stop the kid when I heard the crunch!

The kid had caught the rear wheel well and tore the rear bumper 3/4 off the car! They were in a panic and asked what to do. Told them I would call the police to see if they were needed. Since on private property, and no injuries, they told us just to exchange insurance info. 

The girl was calling her mom. It was her car, but her boyfriend had been driving (oh no!) Mom came down with a copy of their insurance, got her contact info as well as drivers license for the boy. Took several photos. Mom tore into daughter for letting BF drive. After talking to my insurance, I texted photos and info to the agent then tore off the rest of the bumper and put it in the back of the car. A very attractive lady gave me her phone number in case they needed a witness. I must not be too scary if she gave me her number!

The rest of the day has been with DoW and her BF. She had a fever of 102.5 last night and they are running more tests into the evening to make sure she is ok for chemo and radiation.  Before yesterday, in many ways this had been almost academic in my brain. I knew it was happening, but things had in many ways been normal. Yesterday and today have made things very real!

11 minutes ago, groupw said:

Before yesterday, in many ways this had been almost academic in my brain. I knew it was happening, but things had in many ways been normal. Yesterday and today have made things very real!

Cancer sucks, reading this thread I feel so blessed.  My wife has gone through all those struggles with chemo, radiation, surgery and more surgery but has come through and she was on our bike ride today with our granddaughter. Praying for your daughter that she does as well.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Jerry sorry about your friend. 

I found a dead ewe this morning and finally got her loaded on the tractor this afternoon.  It was a messy job, now I have to change gloves and pants. Hopefully, it is past suppertime for most of you. Otherwise, it was a great day and much cooler than it has been.:)

Ewe!