Home owner advice for SuzieQ

petitepedal

Okay...lets all give @SuzieQ our best homeowner advice!!!  :cheerleader::cheerleader:

I am getting better at wallpaper removal...no chemical here...Downy fabric softener and hot water (I Googled it)...might also add baking soda...different recipes out there..gotta get all that glue off before you paint...I have done 2 rooms now!! Way better than chemical..and in the kitchen a steamer was NOT an option....  Also ...cultivate friends who like to do home improvement or painting projects!!! :whistle:    If there is some job..that you just cant handle...blow the money...cos your friends don't show up to actually help...even though they say they will..

Oh and....take your time..the last room I took the wallpaper out of...was the room that I hated the most...wallpaper wise..but it was the last one I did....One day at a time...

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Never, never buy a house with flocked metallic wallpaper.  Anything that can get through the metallic finish will melt the flocking.  It ain't pretty.  You might end up covering it with something like more wallboard.  :whistle:

Please refer to my earlier post ⬆️

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Never, never buy a house with flocked metallic wallpaper.  Anything that can get through the metallic finish will melt the flocking.  It ain't pretty.  You might end up covering it with something like more wallboard.  :whistle:

It gets all flocked up?

• Heart 1

I need flooring advice PP!  I have ugly carpet that needs to come up!  Thinking of bamboo?

My first issue though, is that there are ground bees in Nixie's back yard.  I have experience these before in a garden I used to manage and they are not very nice creatures.  How do I get rid of them?

Search for the ground bees in sunlight.  Usually you can track the golden glints back to the hole or holes they are flying into and out of.  Get one can of Wasp and Hornet killer (longest range jet spray you can, not mist) and completely drown each hole.

Works for me but I have to be careful.

Flooring? Getting rid of all or some? My garage (below me) is toasty warm at 70+ degrees all winter..I got rid of all..

What year was the  house built? Hardwood under the carpeting or sub flooring?  Glued down or tack strips. Check out recycling the old carpet..I found a place that recycled for $10 A load..carpet installers charged to take away.  If I had the $$$ I would have gone with bamboo or real wood. If you have handy willing friends install is pretty easy, especially if they have some experience. Because of the huge crack and the chaos..and because I met installers at work..I contracted with them...

Take out is simple..and depending on what is underneath...install can be slower.

39 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I need flooring advice PP!  I have ugly carpet that needs to come up!  Thinking of bamboo?

My first issue though, is that there are ground bees in Nixie's back yard.  I have experience these before in a garden I used to manage and they are not very nice creatures.  How do I get rid of them?

See if you can find a pest control place that will sell you some Apicide. Wait until evening and pot some down the hole, nobody will come out in the morning.