Spin bikes & Project Badass

Dirtyhip

Project Badass and I went to the gym today to spin, cause she didn't like the cool weather.  I wasn't expecting to have very much fun on them.  

We took some time to set them up properly and wrote down the settings that we felt were right.  Intervals were our goal today.  We did attack and rest.  Attack for one minute (off the seat, in a harder gear, standing the entire time), and then we would back off the resistance and sit back down to rest for 90 seconds.  We did this for about 40 minutes. I chose to rest for 90 seconds, cause I felt that our hearts were still beating pretty hard in the beginning of the rest period, so I gave us a little more time to recover.  

By the end of the workout we were pretty sweaty and she said her legs had become wobbly.  We used a cell phone stop watch to keep us on track.  

Then we stretched for about ten minutes.  

It was killer.  I do hate the saddle on this thing.  But, it was ok.  They had spd pedals, so we were able to use cycling shoes.

It was killer.  Outside is still preferable for me, but this works for variety.  It was the first time I got on an actual spin bike. 

She is getting stronger and thinning back down.  I'll be gone for the summer, so she will need to fly on her own during that time.  I really hope she sticks with it. 

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Do you know what brand it was?

Keiser Spin bikes are excellent.

No idea.  I can look tomorrow.  

They were white.  I do remember that.  

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I do intervals off of youtube...they take care of the timing for me

Good information, PP. Thanks.

I've been getting a great work out on the spin bikes at my gym.  I do 20 to 30 minutes total but incorporate intervals and high resistance work and it kicks my ass.

However I also got terrible saddle sores from them so am going to lay off this week  to let evwrything heal up and wear my mtn bike short liners and chamois butter next time.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I really enjoy spinning at the gym.  No, the world doesn't slip by, but the scenery does. :whistle:

Our spin bikes used to be in rows and I was always in the front row (under a ceiling fan) so the only scenery I saw was our hot spin instructor. Now the bikes are arraigned in a circle. 

8 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I think I've seen this movie.:popcorn:   Is there anything to keep you from bringing your own saddle ?

Time and annoyance to swap every time we use them. I wore my bike shorts. The seat was uncomfortable, but not painful. I was off the seat a ton, so it's good.

The Planet Fitness here has the strength classes, but haven’t seen any spin classes there. Their spin bikes aren’t quite designed for dedicated cyclists. The saddle is like a wide comfort bike saddle and only traps on the pedals. I can’t get comfortable for. More than 30 minutes on it. 

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Time and annoyance to swap every time we use them. I wore my bike shorts. The seat was uncomfortable, but not painful. I was off the seat a ton, so it's good.

...can't you just measure the post diameter and carry a saddle with a post the same  diameter already attached ?

I'll never ride one of the spin bikes in my gym, because I have year round good conditions outdoors, but I see all those people in there sweating up a storm on those saddles and I would never, ever stick one of those things between my legs after all the questionable places it's been.:o  Ever. Never ever ever.  Eeeeew.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...can't you just measure the post diameter and carry a saddle with a post the same  diameter already attached ?

I'll never ride one of the spin bikes in my gym, because I have year round good conditions outdoors, but I see all those people in there sweating up a storm on those saddles and I would never, ever stick one of those things between my legs after all the questionable places it's been.:o  Ever. Never ever ever.  Eeeeew.

The post is on this slide contraption.  It's not that big of a deal.  

I wear shorts, so it is no big deal about cooties.  I also wipe things down on a regular basis before and after use.  

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How do you survive on such a filthy planet?  It must be terrifying for you.

...this flu season has been a living HELL !!! :(  I wash my hands incessantly.

You can make fun all you want, I've seen some of the fat fuckers who ride those spin bikes in the darkened room they have over at the gym for the spin classes.

Those people are nasty.  If they weren't nasty, they'd turn the lights on in there and put on some more refined music.  Grateful Dead, or maybe Neil Young.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well, luckily I lived from the last ride on it.  I am going to chance it tomorrow.  Again, my gym has wipes and I will use them before and after.  Hopefully, I will live.  If not, you can't have my bikes.

He is too tall for your bikes.  Please will them to me. :) 

• 3 weeks later...