"Sweet peppers" are sort of an abomination

Ralphie

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Like red peppers? Green ones are gross. 

No, red peppers are awesome!  I am talking aboot hoagie shop ones, that I guess are pickled, sort of like sweet pickles.  I like both peppers and pickling, and can even tolerate sweet cucumber pickles, but it just doesn't fit with bell peppers, IMO.

• Whatever 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

No, red peppers are awesome!  I am talking aboot hoagie shop ones, that I guess are pickled, sort of like sweet pickles.  I like both peppers and pickling, and can even tolerate sweet cucumber pickles, but it just doesn't fit with bell peppers, IMO.

I've had them.  Don't really buy em.  No opinion, really.  Meh.

What I really love are olives.  Not crazy about the purple ones, that many like.  They are too ripe and squashy.  I prefer big green olives.  Sort of addicted to the Mezetta anti pasta olives with hot peppers.  So good.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

I've had them.  Don't really buy em.  No opinion, really.  Meh.

What I really love are olives.  Not crazy about the purple ones, that many like.  They are too ripe and squashy.  I prefer big green olives.  Sort of addicted to the Mezetta anti pasta olives with hot peppers.  So good.

I'll have to look for those.  For me the bestest olive is kalamata.  Garden variety green with pimento are ok, black are also a tasteless abomination, although some specialty black ones are pretty good, oil cured probably.

mezzetta-napa-valley-bistro-italian-oliv

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I'll have to look for those.  For me the bestest olive is kalamata.  Garden variety green with pimento are ok, black are also a tasteless abomination, although some specialty black ones are pretty good, oil cured probably.

Yes.  THAT!  It hasn't been on sale lately.  I'm having withdrawal symptoms. 

Also, my fave choco bar went off sale.  I cried.

20 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

There’s a reason for the black olive thing, the good ones take more than a year from harvest to become the lovely things they are, the cheap mushy ones are processed from green ones in about 24 hours. Green olives are immature and inherently less tasty, imo.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I actually love those. I snack on those, pickles and I love pickled beets too.  I snack on these things instead of chips, crackers & such. 

• Awesome 1

I've been a big fan of the red roasted sweet peppers on a sandwich for a long time... but I've just recently developed a taste for the green pickled sweets you're talking about.  I think I like them even better.  That tangy sweetness punches through all that salt, and fat, and bread.  It's perfect and lately I'm disappointed if the shop doesn't have those.

Red sweet peppers generally taste better because the green ones are simply not ripe yet.

Each year I chose plants for my mother's veggie garden and grew them from seed. One year she said, "I want to grow Red Bell Peppers!"

So I got the seeds and she complained because the picture on the front of the packet showed a Green Bell Pepper: "I wanted red ones, not green ones!"

I told her that all ordinary bell peppers start out green and they turn red or yellow or orange, etc. depending on the variety, when they ripen.

"That's not true!" she argued and I couldn't convince her otherwise.

So I told her I'd get some red ones and grow them.  Of course, I grew the ones from the seeds in that packet.

Soon, the plants were growing green peppers and she threw a fit. I told her to wait and see.  She was amazed when they turned red!

• Heart 1