Living cosy and not venturing further in neighbourhoods

shootingstar

I told another employee that I went cycling regularily through city's connected park pathway system and stopped by a wholesale bakery and deli where I frequently stop for Middle Eastern flatbread, maybe a phyllo pastry and juice. Depends how I feel. 

She was born, raised and lived all her life in my city.  She is probably same age or just 2-4 yrs. older than I. She is white. I know she is around my age based on general info. she told how long she has worked for our employer..and her name reflects late 1950's - early 1960's name (Linda), like my name (Jean).

She's lived in the same house for at least 40 yrs. of life so far.  She lives only 4-5  km. away from this wholesale bakery. She has NEVER dropped by this bakery even though she drives by and knows its name. I made pleasant chat by saying how wonderful the bakery was, good prices, fresh produce and healthy.  It's plain, but very clean looking building. There's nothing threatening about it...  

Now:  in speaking with long-time residents....meaning living in Calgary last 50 years or more, the city has changed a lot in demographics.  Within the last 15 years more Asians, Middle Eastern and Hispanic/Latino folks have changed the demographic mix.

She's a nice person but I had a hard time relating to someone who doesn't have curiosity for the "foreign".  I do.  I do shop in ethnic stores....East Indian, Mexican, etc.  I guess my world is just different even though we all live in same city ….and am so glad my German partner is just as curious as I.

Out of curuisity why does the woman's ethnicity matter to your point?  Some people don't venture out much but I don't think her ethnicity matters.

In some of our strong Hispanic and Vietnamese communities some immigrants live in the community for decades and never venture out. They never learn to speak English as everyone they come into contact with in their neighborhood speak their native tongue.  If they go just a few miles away they go into a predominantly non native speaking community so really stay in a very tight area.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Out of curuisity why does the woman's ethnicity matter to your point?  Some people don't venture out much but I don't think her ethnicity matters.

In some of our strong Hispanic and Vietnamese communities some immigrants live in the community for decades and never venture out. They never learn to speak English as everyone they come into contact with in their neighborhood speak their native tongue.  If they go just a few miles away they go into a predominantly non native speaking community so really stay in a very tight area.

Sure. Just like my mother whose world hasn't expanded....which makes it very frustrating....because she isolates herself which language does limit her. It's not any better at all. It's her Canadianized/westernized children that have forced her to broaden in understanding certain things over the decades.  Interracial marriages and children within in the family, have truly forced open understanding.  In ways that were quite /conflict ridden for awhile. But that's history. Can't escape when your own children standing in front of you, crying or arguing. And now I'm getting off topic.  :)

My mother did some shopping with 1 of us.....we grew up in a small city that didn't have any Chinatown or any such grocery store at all. I'm just talking about shopping, something quite superficial in terms of exploration. I will give credit to my mother who for lst 20 years in Canada had no Asian store to go to nor did any of the local  grocery store chains, get around to stocking Asian food stuff  40 yrs. ago.  She's made big strides  so much she has no interest in revisiting China since she left as a woman @22 yrs old. Ever. Zero.  Immigrating is a huge leap of insane trust/courage  vs. exploring your own neighbourhood in a city where one is born and will probably die in same city. No cultural adjustment required long-term unless something is foisted on the locals themselves.  :)

Just talking about food and living /exploring own neighbourhood ...not even getting know others intimately/or well at all.

My grandmother was very set in her ways and didn't like to explore new things.  At one point when we were proposing she do something different she responded "that's not what I do".  To her, that was a complete and satisfactory explanation.   As a kid,, I had a hard time understanding that. There was so much I wanted to explore and do.   But as I got older I had a greater appreciation for the fact she'd had a hard life and worked though a lot of difficulties.  Later in life was one of the happier times for her and she was truly content.

The world is full of different people on different paths.  Sometimes just surviving where you are is a win for someone.

• Heart 4

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My grandmother was very set in her ways and didn't like to explore new things.  At one point when we were proposing she do something different she responded "that's not what I do".  To her, that was a complete and satisfactory explanation.   As a kid,, I had a hard time understanding that. There was so much I wanted to explore and do.   But as I got older I had a greater appreciation for the fact she'd had a hard life and worked though a lot of difficulties.  Later in life was one of the happier times for her and she was truly content.

The world is full of different people on different paths.  Sometimes just surviving where you are is a win for someone.

Yup, you're right.  My mother was willing to explore in baby steps with 1 of us around in terms of visiting a new area in town or a new store. Usually it had nothing to do she wasn't willing to try. She was just exhausted from raising 6 kids and vacation to her, even day trip, meant still looking after our needs along with father.   It wasn't necessarily a way of doing things her way, it was her energy....except intruding her kitchen. :)   After all, she knows how flawed she is:  she tells me not to get as angry ..as her.

Anyway, this woman I'm talking about is around my age..  

• Heart 1

My parents were forced to flee their home country, lived in Holland for 7 years and then immigrated here.  When they arrived here they had nobody who spoke their language so had to figure things out in their own.

Maybe it was due to necessity but my parents had a great sense of adventure and packed up the kids and explored the great state of CA.  My mom also was a foodie and was open to try all types of food. 

My wife and I are pretty sumilar.  We like to get out and try, see and do new things.

"...and her name reflects late 1950's - early 1960's name (Linda), like my name (Jean)."

I retired in from teaching high school in 2006 and there were still a lot of kids named Linda, maybe because of celebrities still in the news when they were born like Linda Ronstadt, Linda Park (Lost), Linda Hamilton (Terminator Series), Linda Hunt (NCIS: LA), etc.

Of course, you have a lot of high school kids with the same name around 15+ years after there's a major film or TV development with that name.  I had a few Jennifers in every class about 15 years after Jennifer ("Love is never having to say you're sorry.") died in the movie "Love Story" and Emma became a popular name after Rachel had her baby, Emma, on Friends.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

"...and her name reflects late 1950's - early 1960's name (Linda), like my name (Jean)."

I retired in from teaching high school in 2006 and there were still a lot of kids named Linda, maybe because of celebrities still in the news when they were born like Linda Ronstadt, Linda Park (Lost), Linda Hamilton (Terminator Series), Linda Hunt (NCIS: LA), etc.

Of course, you have a lot of high school kids with the same name around 15+ years after there's a major film or TV development with that name.  I had a few Jennifers in every class about 15 years after Jennifer ("Love is never having to say you're sorry.") died in the movie "Love Story" and Emma became a popular name after Rachel had her baby, Emma, on Friends.

I haven't met a younger generation Linda yet. Lynda counts too.  There is a Lynda in my workplace...she is around my age.

Sister of mine is Linda..she is only 2 yrs. younger than I.  Another reason why I notice certain names and non-use/use.  Both Lynda and Linda who I know are exploratory people. 

I personally know another person with similar name as mine...she is just 2 yrs. older than I.  My name is very simple...but actually quite rare these days.  She loves to explore...a lot.  She is a strong cyclist, goes on cycling trips in foreign countries.  Oh yea, ...she is Chinese-Canadian like myself.  

I know a lot of exploratory people my age.....curious about the city where they live, etc.  Even my conservative Mennonite friend my age, goes travelling about in North America.  She was very happy to discover stuff with me ..about Toronto.  It didn't put her off.

A person doesn't have to leave a big city. There's a lot of stuff to discover.  So when people complain they don't know what to do in their retirement...….take a 2nd look, especially living in a big city.

I worked for a forest company at one time.  The company held an annual banquet for employees who had hit 25 years of service to the company.  They got a $25,000 bonus, a nice gift like a camera or camcorder, a flight to Vancouver for the banquet weekend on the company jet and all expenses paid 5 star hotel accommodations.  One year, I picked up a fellow and his wife in northern BC.  In chatting with him, he had never been out of the Chetwynd Valley in his life.  The whole valley had less than 4000 residents. 

He was really nervous but very appreciative of the recognition and on the return flight, couldn't stop talking about the great time he had in the big city.  He also said he never wanted to go back and was very happy to be going home.  :)  Oh, he was also white. ;) 

• Heart 2

At the age of seventy-four, my mother flew for the first time in order to visit my brother in LA. At her change-over in Kennedy Airport, she had to ask directions but no-one could understand her broad Scottish accent. A huge kerfuffle took place and I understand they sent for a Russian interpreter but eventually they sorted it all out and she went on her way. 

• Heart 1

Great he had wonderful recognition service gifts. We would be all envious of such a work bonus!  He will talk about that trip/time  a few years later. Great he appreciated the experience.

We all appreciate going back home...assuming home is safe, clean and loving place to be.

I am....and appreciate after foreign trips overseas...very grateful to be ...Canadian, for our food safety, environmental protection  (Shanghai domestic water must be filtered at home. It's pretty shocking despite its bullet trains, showy highrises, etc.), multicultural vision/thrust in society, etc.  

Right now, am enjoying the wide range of fresh fruit bought at home.  Japan just seems expensive for diverse fresh fruit. Hope I'm wrong..but we don't have time to travel in rural Japan..

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My parents were forced to flee their home country, lived in Holland for 7 years and then immigrated here.  When they arrived here they had nobody who spoke their language so had to figure things out in their own.

Maybe it was due to necessity but my parents had a great sense of adventure and packed up the kids and explored the great state of CA.  My mom also was a foodie and was open to try all types of food. 

My wife and I are pretty sumilar.  We like to get out and try, see and do new things

Traveling is a great thing IMHO.  Ethnic foods are bitchin' and now at the age of 51, I am fatter than I wanna be.  I blame them.  ?

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

At the age of seventy-four, my mother flew for the first time in order to visit my brother in LA. At her change-over in Kennedy Airport, she had to ask directions but no-one could understand her broad Scottish accent. A huge kerfuffle took place and I understand they sent for a Russian interpreter but eventually they sorted it all out and she went on her way. 

:D  Funny a Russian interpreter.

With all my siblings we bought a return ticket for my mother as a gift, so she could visit 3 sisters in San Francisco from Toronto.  I was the one who accompanied her down there since she would need interpretation.  It was her first and only plane flight since she immigrated to Canada to marry my father.  Please understand my parents have been poor and couldn't have gone flying anywhere --even if they wanted it.   Their financial sacrifice for children went as far as not vacationing anywhere beyond day trips.

My mother was in her late 50's. (Jeez around my present age.)

Unfortunately a sister of hers died, a few days before we got there.  So we ended up attending a wake. :( However it was altogether interesting for mother and for myself since I met over 20 different maternal relatives in 'Frisco. Even a first cousin same age as I, who I had no idea of her existence.  It was a memorable trip in many different ways.  

My parents (now in their 80's)lived 55 years in the same house and when they moved they only moved 3 miles away.  But they are not 'cozy in thei neighbourhood.'  They have travelled extensively, spending time in all lower 48 states, and all ten Provinces, and visited Europe.  They are not fussy eaters and will try anything ( and usually like) any dishes I put in front of them.  

However there are lots of local bakeries and artisan food shops near home they have never been in.  The reason?  They do not see the point.  As my mom likes to say, she 'eats to live' not 'lives to eat'.   They do not see the point in trying new things because they derive very little pleasure from food.  The only time they eat out is when they do not want to cook.  It has been like that my whole life.  They do not wonder about different foods, nor are curious about new foods.  It is just not their thing.

• Heart 2