So two of this forum's biggest problems are ignorance and apathy

Ralphie

Who cares?

Seriously, I could be more empathic but I'm not a hater. I have official chess.com chess friends in Israel, Morocco, Russia, India, and several other countries though I only share chess games or correspondence with them. My many foreign trips and experience with international online-stuff, including chess, has me convinced that most people in most countries are decent, moral people.

Still, I'm probably on every government list!

Also, my experiences in walking down the streets of places like Paris, Athens, Istanbul, Beijing, and even Jerusalem reminded me how much LESS tense and unsafe you feel in those cities compared to Baltimore, Chicago, New York, and other American cities.  So I think there's a big sea-change that has to happen in the USA in general in terms of respect for people.  Halloween is almost non-existent on the last night of October anymore because parents are too afraid to let kids walk the streets at night alone.  My friends and I from about age 10 on, around 1960, would be collecting candy for a couple hours - alone - and no one had a reason to worry about our safety or the goodness of the candy.

Ignorance is simply lack of data. Stupidity is the inability to use the data. Apathy is having the data, and the ability to use it, but not giving a fuck.

I think we have plenty of data, plenty of intelligence, and we still have some folks that give a fuck.

But the forum does seem to be losing momentum  :unhappy: 

• Sad 1