Bohemian Rhapsody - Movie Review

Razors Edge

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I just noticed it’s on HBO or was it Showtime... I might watch it.  I was never a Queen fan, their music never appealed to me. 

HBO and that's why we watched it.  It's fun and the Queen music is great, but all the members of the band are such good guys and there were never any real quarrels or fights. And the drug use and sex fueled ROCK and ROLL world of the 70s/80s is soooooo tame.  I imagine the Rocket Man movie is equally tame.  It seems the folks still living don't take too kindly to looking bad???

Just now, Razors Edge said:

HBO and that's why we watched it.  It's fun and the Queen music is great, but all the members of the band are such good guys and there were never any real quarrels or fights. And the drug use and sex fueled ROCK and ROLL world of the 70s/80s is soooooo tame.  I imagine the Rocket Man movie is equally tame.  It seems the folks still living don't take too kindly to looking bad???

We saw Rocketman and I was less than impressed.  EJ was really portrayed as a victim to the music industry.   

Taxi Driver was a mindless film with no redeeming qualities. You hated every character except the one you're supposed to hate, (the politician who innocently asks DeNiro what he thinks about some issues, only to be revulsed by the reply) , the film just has long stretches of scenes you only want to walk out on, and there's of course the strangely pointless and graphic violence. DeNiro's character is an unreliable narrator, spoken in a tone of some sort of moral integrity but read off like it's just some throwaway line rather than with any interest in the character's state of mind when saying those things should be. The whole 'hero' ending is absolutely ridiculous and how it's made to seem like he somehow escaped all of the trauma and is perhaps even a normal-ish person just returned back to his regular job again. The best scenes period are just when he's driving the taxi and talking about being a taxi driver (and that's probably because DeNiro actually did that for the role for a few months). 

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet. But I made the mistake of the first clip ever watched of it, being an atrocious repetitive cut scene where the camera flicks back and forth between several people very rapidly while their talking and it's almost dizzying. It's gonna be a while before I bother watching it. 

Edited by Olas Nah
Personal insanity.

I liked it.  The casting was pretty good as the snaps back and forth between the real concert and the movie group were almost seamless.  If you want historical accuracy to the level you are asking for, go read an encyclopedia in the library.

I especially liked the part where the band was in the middle of a great quarrel and the base player starts quietly playing the bass line to what would become "another one bites the dust".

Never has an overbite emoted quite like that.

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I liked it.  The casting was pretty good as the snaps back and forth between the real concert and the movie group were almost seamless.  If you want historical accuracy to the level you are asking for, go read an encyclopedia in the library.

I especially liked the part where the band was in the middle of a great quarrel and the base player starts quietly playing the bass line to what would become "another one bites the dust".

Never has an overbite emoted quite like that.

I did as well.  The reason it took so long was because the band did want more historical accuracy. That is not saying it was totally accurate. I don't know that I would give an Oscar for it, but it was good.  They captured the feel of the day. 

12 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I did as well.  The reason it took so long was because the band did want more historical accuracy. That is not saying it was totally accurate. I don't know that I would give an Oscar for it, but it was good.  They captured the feel of the day. 

Most movies take on the mantle of a historical novel.  They are based on fact but take liberties for character.   Does anyone really believe that Darth Vader was the dick they make him out to be.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Most movies take on the mantle of a historical novel.  They are based on fact but take liberties for character.   Does anyone really believe that Darth Vader was the dick they make him out to be.

I think the real DV was a way bigger dick.  Maybe even a dickbag! 

• Heart 1