How much are you going to miss Don Cherry?

Mr. Silly

9 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

The poppies are just a'virtue signaling' thing.  

No they aren't.  They may be in the US where your education system doesn't leave your borders.  Poppies are worn to show respect to those who fought and died for the country.  "Lest we Forget". 

Remembrance Day is not Veterans Day.   There is no "Happy" associated with it.  It is a somber day.  

31 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He even looks a bit like Archie Bunker.

He is no globalist, that is for sure.  Our current leader has sent 6 billion dollars to fight climate change in Somalia while our Afghan war veterans go without.  Nationalism is good.   A Canadian looking out for Canadians is a good thing.  Canada wasn't always the namby-pamby nation  it is now. 

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

And due to an oversight of Sportsnet, they were rebroadcast several times.  It didn't become an issue until complaints were fielded.  

When the people’s tastes change, so too must the product.

Don’s longing for the hockey of the 1970’s, the culture of the 1950s, and the way Canada used to be. “You people who move here” wasn’t a poor choice of phase to mean “everyone should wear a poppy”, specifically it was to mean “immigrants should assimilate to traditional Canadian culture”. He doubled down on that on Tucker Carlson’s show, and looked largely incoherent in the process. 

35 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

When the people’s tastes change, so too must the product.

Don’s longing for the hockey of the 1970’s, the culture of the 1950s, and the way Canada used to be. “You people who move here” wasn’t a poor choice of phase to mean “everyone should wear a poppy”, specifically it was to mean “immigrants should assimilate to traditional Canadian culture”. He doubled down on that on Tucker Carlson’s show, and looked largely incoherent in the process. 

I will disagree with the fundamentals of your point.  Loyalty to your country never goes out of vogue. It isn't what used to be, it is what needs to be. Canada is a multi-cultural nation.  We are not the melting pot the US is.  The US requires assimilation.  Canada only wants respect of Canadian law.  We don't allow FGM and such as many immigrants are used to practicing. The poppy is symbolic of loyalty to those who died for Canada.  It has nothing to do with "culture".

You can't apply American practices to Canada any more than you can liberal ideals to conservative.   You don't give a shit about the war dead and haven't since Vietnam, we do. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

The Royal Canadian Legion is the group who sells the poppies that Cherry requires everyone to wear.  

Capture.GIF.5dbfef14bdc6d47887b84eec7f2a89d4.GIF

It looks like they want to distance themselves from Cherry.

I am a member of the Legion. The Legions statement does not reflect the opinion of it's membership.   There were interviews outside the Legion of it's members and even immigrant members found no fault in his statements.  The opinion is divided.

This isn't even a good circular discussion guys.  You aren't going to change my mind nor prove me wrong.  One's opinion will lie directly on ones political leanings.  In my opinion, what Don Cherry said was not racist.  "You people" implies immigrants, not races.   His observation, is absolutely correct.  The Legion is obviously trying to do damage control where none is required.  I expect this will backfire in a big way.   I agree with Don Cherry, 100% in this case.  Immigrants are not wearing them. Demographics are changing but that doesn't make it right.  Just more visible. 

If the intent is to tarnish me on the forum, I am good with that too.  Fire away.  

11 minutes ago, wilbur said:

If the intent is to tarnish me on the forum

Please, under no condition or circumstance was to have Cherry's statements reflect on you in anyway.  If you feel that was my intent then I apologize. 

Clearly we disagree.  That happens.   You've stated your case well just as I feel I stated my case well and neither of us resorted to insults and that is what is important.  But really, nothing was intended to be directed at you personally.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

I will disagree with the fundamentals of your point.  Loyalty to your country never goes out of vogue. It isn't what used to be, it is what needs to be. Canada is a multi-cultural nation.  We are not the melting pot the US is.  The US requires assimilation.  Canada only wants respect of Canadian law.  We don't allow FGM and such as many immigrants are used to practicing. The poppy is symbolic of loyalty to those who died for Canada.  It has nothing to do with "culture".

You can't apply American practices to Canada any more than you can liberal ideals to conservative.   You don't give a shit about the war dead and haven't since Vietnam, we do. 

Beg your pardon?  Maybe that bit about war dead is a broad brushing.

10 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

So, you really don't have an argument.  

You can troll alot better than this, Hillary. 

And wilbur isn't a boomer. He's a Canadian.  Max is really the only boomer here.  Maybe Dottie too. 

Mudkipz 

I'm a boomer.   I was born in '63.

Hillary's comment made me feel bad.

38 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

So, you really don't have an argument.  

You can troll alot better than this, Hillary. 

And wilbur isn't a boomer. He's a Canadian.  Max is really the only boomer here.  Maybe Dottie too. 

Mudkipz 

Boomer reminds me of Sooner, which reminds me that OU sucks.  

21 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Have Hillary and Mr. Silly ever been in the same room together at the same time? Can we be sure they are not one another’s puppet? Michigan and Ohio are interchangeable, after all.

They are indeed not the same person.  One is insane and the other is a confirmed boomer. 

Mudkipz 

5 hours ago, Dottie said:

Hmmm... I wonder if this thread lasts much longer than my post. I give it 5 posts more.

Was it because I called you a Boomer?

I know you aren't.  I know how old you are.  I was just throwing you under the bus because I was eating spicy, delicious, and culturally appropriated Chipotle.  And I didn't want Max to feel so alone.  That's how nice and caring of a person I am.  I know how to love like the best of them.

Mudkipz

Just now, Couch_Incident said:

Was it because I called you a Boomer?

I know you aren't.  I know how old you are.  I was just throwing you under the bus because I was eating spicy delicious culturally appropriated Chipotle.  And I didn't want Max to feel so alone.  That's how nice and caring of a person I am.  I know how to love like the best of them.

Mudkipz

Couch?  Hush.  Ain't nothing you can say to me that's not taken with love, brother.  And if you really mean it?  You're fucked. But be nice to Max.  Dude's kitchen was a nightmare.  My $4300 water line was nothing.