Anybody Here Grocery Shopping This Weekend?

Razors Edge

Thinking about it logically, it's easy to see that the US grocery distribution system has not yet been disrupted. Trucks are constantly making deliveries, so stores will be restocking regularly according to their normal schedules.  Items that they normally only order a pallet of - like TP - will likely take a while longer to refill and stay refilled, but it will happen relatively quickly since the folks who initially stripped the shelves are not generally returning for more TP to add to their stash.

I think a place like Trader Joes has a smaller backroom for storage, and is more dependent on daily (smaller) deliveries, but the bigger stores - Safeway, Wegmans, Kroger, Walmart - all have larger storage in the back so can flatten out the problems faced by runs on the store.

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Are you going to snowball Jackson?

There is no bread or fresh veggies available anywhere in my town.  The nut-job survivalists clean out the shelves as soon as they are re-stocked.  If I can't find any bread by next weekend, I will have to see if the stores in Jackson Hole have any.

8 hours ago, Further said:

There was a lady with 7, count them 7, gallons of milk. I wonder if she realizes that milk does have an expiration date, and it is self enforced....  

We'll buy in bulk if the price is right, and then freeze what we don't put into the refrigerator.  Most of the time we purchase very near the expiration date and have no problems.

2 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

There is no bread or fresh veggies available anywhere in my town.  The nut-job survivalists clean out the shelves as soon as they are re-stocked.  If I can't find any bread by next weekend, I will have to see if the stores in Jackson Hole have any.

6 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Damn, all this food shortage shit is unbelievable and a bit scary.  

I wish you were closer.  Just made a loaf and would gladly split it with you.  

It will be a fascinating read in a few years when someone writes their Sociology PHd thesis on this mass hysteria, how and why it started and why others followed.  I am not sure how to collect the data but this whole thing is an interesting societal phenomenon