Anybody Here Grocery Shopping This Weekend?

Razors Edge

After I made my wife her breakfast and took care of her needs she suggested I go back to Walt’s and buy some fresh chicken. I didn’t buy it on my last trip because I prefer the frozen and I buy that at Aldis but I haven’t gone that far from home for awhile. 
I bought some chicken, some yogurt, a package of Puffs tissue with lotion because I opened our last box yesterday, people were talking about the dried beans yesterday so I bought some just because they don’t need refrigeration and keep forever.

Our LGS is well stocked and prices were normal with lots of sale prices on stuff. I asked if they had hand sanitizer and they said they didn’t. I keep a bottle in the car door and use it after handling money or pumping gas. Our son borrowed our car that had it in it. I’ll just fill a spray bottle with alcohol, that should work. My oncologist tells me to be careful.
This was at around noon, as you can see the crowds were awful. I forgot to take pictures of all the good stuff. I snapped these as I was checking out. Nobody in line behind me.

E2C08C94-5EF4-4C08-B278-37372C493E01.jpeg

2D57941E-C479-4C18-A922-AF8CA64B39BD.jpeg

• Heart 1

I got my BANANAS!  Harris Teeter was surprisingly calm, and there were spot shortages - like no regular whipped butter :( (I got the butter/olive oil/sea salt blend) and the water aisle looked emptied.  Didn't check bread or TP, since I really just wanted some produce and the butter.

There were a lot of empty spaces on the shelves.  There were no paper products, bottled water was gone, the frozen vegetables cases were empty.  There was no yogurt.  There was no flour or dried beans either.   Canned goods were mostly gone.  Meat was picked over, just large packages of hamburger and chicken wings.  Produce was OK there was no cauliflower though.  As expected, there were no ice cream sandwiches.  

I chuckled a little because the organic vegetables were all gone except for beets, they seemed untouched.   Hipsters that are into organic veggies won't touch beets.  That's just a bridge too far

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I chuckled a little because the organic vegetables were all gone except for beets, they seemed untouched.   Hipsters that are into organic veggies won't touch beets.  That's just a bridge too far

We LOVE beets!  We actually picked up some pickled beets at TJs - not because we need them, but because folks had left them and they were some of the only stuff left in their section. We got a tasty olive medley as well. 

I just went to buy something for dinner. Had a taste for homemade nacho platter :) no ground beef, I walked oot :angry: Some three-hundred pound dude in front of me bought what looked like 5 or 6 pounds, then another woman in front of me bough the last scraps. WTF people? Buy normal amounts :angry:

26 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I always go to Asian stores for my macaroni. :nodhead:

Unfortunately today, it's very cold out and the major Asian supermarket is out in the suburbs of which I have no appetite in -15 degree C snowy weather to get there by bus. I have my low sodium Kikkoman soy sauce..bok choy from chain store, asparagus, peppers, etc.  The Asian supermarkets have a broader range of less heavier pastas for me to choose. 

However it won't be spring time, when I can bike up there without dealing with rocky ice, etc. It's like this every year.  If I lived in Vancouver year-round it's a different story. Anyway, even if I had restricted access to grocery stuff, there will be still Asian infused dishes ….60% at home.  If my mother, was able to cook this way 50 years, without hardly any access to all the Chinese greens in a small Ontario town...then I will do very well for life.  Thank you mother, for your life food lessons of survival:  Stir fried butternut squash....

00105B.png

The small local store over the hill from me was normal yesterday at 5 o'clock. Today it was madness, they have an excellent butcher shop, I was planning on sausage for dinner, nope. No ground meat, no TP, limiting sanitizers, the cashiers looked shell shocked. It was a different crowd than normally shops there, the word must have got out that they had stuff, and the hoards descended.... 

38 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I always go to Asian stores for my macaroni. :nodhead:

I know right!?!?  I go to them often and know they carry some western products.  I figured most Asians are stocking up on other items so gave it a shot.  And scored!

After the scene at Costco Thursday, I decided to wait until Monday, though I'm stocked up with enough food and drink for for a couple weeks if they lock me in my house.

That's not hoarding - that's mostly my usual gluttony.

I need some non-groceries that should be in stock: tray tables for the apartment plus soap - I'm using the "Red Cross Goodie Bag" from the fire and shampoo for everything in the shower now.

Today, interesting in the pharmacy area of the store....the whole row of painkillers...for headaches, other aches, was nearly wiped out. Wow.

I didn't look too hard since it's an aisle I seldom need to visit.

Not sure if it included sinus stuff , etc. 

I still have a little bottle of Tylenol from 5 years ago. Cough syrup is the other "medicine" in my cabinet which is over a yr. old. That's all.

I stopped in at work and started to laugh.. employees look like shit, shelves are ravished, and a few employees asked if I wanted over time.. nope.. just here to get a couple things and head back to my two days off... 

B523263B-EB36-41A9-98A2-66EA779E771D.jpeg

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yes.  Didn't buy much.  There wasn't much to buy.  :)  Mass panic. 

This is what WoZack said about the stores here.

Went to a different store after work.  They were out of TP and very low on some paper products, but had most other things.  I didn't check for ground beef or chicken, but they did have microwave mac and cheese.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

There was plenty at Trader Joe's tonight.  Some types of bread were picked through, but they had what looked like a full stocking of about 40% of the bread types.

I am making bread tonight.  :hapydance:

We had plenty locally, but maybe not all the brands.  When people get hungry enough, wonder bread might be wonderful

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Wonder bread died in 2012, it’s now owned by a Canadian company. I haven’t seen it in any stores around here but you can buy it on Amazon.

36F6DBEE-D01E-4AAB-BC07-1620B87DE24E.thumb.jpeg.b154c55ff411bc9c87f398d5b308a799.jpeg

They have this off brand stuff that looks just like it. I would eat that, if I was hungry enough.  

I just started my loaf.  Sourdough starter, 2 cups of bread flour, 1 cup of WW with 1 tbsp. of vital gluten, salt and yeast.  It will be ready about 4 pm tomorrow.  

• Awesome 1

WoW picked up some TP because we were low and we had company over the weekend. She stopped at Wallyworld and said there was only one brand on the shelf and she had never bought it. Hoped it was ok. We realized this afternoon she bought paper towels by mistake. A quick run to the grocery. Only 1 organic and expensive brand of TP on the shelf. Grabbed a package. They were down to just a few gallons of milk. Grabbed 1 gallon so we wouldn’t have to go back for a few days. Hopefully sanity will return by then! Fresh produce was picked over. We just wanted celery and potatoes to go with our buffalo wings tonight. No potatoes at all! Celery was abundant. It was the most picked over I have ever seen that grocery! Friends shared photos of Walmart. It was downright apocalyptic! 

39 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I thought sawdust bread was “healthy” bread, ie a heavy wheat bread?  Wonder bread is so light and fluffy it is ethereal. 

Wonder bread switched the way they made it when I was growing up. They went from a traditional dough that was kneaded to a batter that looked like pancake batter. They were proud of their change and all their advertisements they showed someone stirring a bowl of batter. The stuff was horrible, it didn’t stick together and trying to spread peanut butter on it the bread would fall apart. I don’t think it had any gluten in it. 

It will now be more difficult to shop the grocery stores at night as several of the locals have shortened their hours, designating the overnight as restocking time.  I'll try 7am Monday and see what that looks like.  Normally my prefered store is empty but for half a dozen customers then.

I'm putting together a shopping list for Monday.

Hopefully the crowds will be thin around 10 am.

bread, salsa, spaghetti, Prego, canned food, 12-pack of Ramen noodles - mostly stuff with a long storage life, some of which is extra.

I normally add half-and-half to my coffee. It's probably wise to buy some long-life dry creamer.

A case (24) of 20 oz. diet Snapple, normally $16.99, is $12.99 at Costco if any is left - it's the only place I know to buy it in plastic, not glass, bottles.

Otherwise: I need a set of 4 tray tables and some dusting brushes.  I also have wall-to-wall carpeting, so I should get some kind of emergency cleaner for spills.

41 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm putting together a shopping list for Monday.

Hopefully the crowds will be thin around 10 am.

bread, salsa, spaghetti, Prego, canned food, 12-pack of Ramen noodles - mostly stuff with a long storage life, some of which is extra.

I normally add half-and-half to my coffee. It's probably wise to buy some long-life dry creamer.

A case (24) of 20 oz. diet Snapple, normally $16.99, is $12.99 at Costco if any is left - it's the only place I know to buy it in plastic, not glass, bottles.

Otherwise: I need a set of 4 tray tables and some dusting brushes.  I also have wall-to-wall carpeting, so I should get some kind of emergency cleaner for spills.

The 10am time slot may be more busy that you think.  A lot of people won't be going to work.  I'm still gambling that they can't get up as early as I do.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Today, interesting in the pharmacy area of the store....the whole row of painkillers...for headaches, other aches, was nearly wiped out. Wow.

I noticed that at Target today too.  I heard many drugs are manufactured in China and they've shut down their facilities.  It could (probably is) be panic buying.  

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Bread, pasta and spaghetti sauces were pretty well picked over when I was at the grocery store yesterday.

I was talking to our neighbor this morning  who said our LGS was still picked clean.  So we hit up a Hispanic market not too far away and was able to get what we need for the week.  No TP, cleaning supplies nor eggs but meat, dairy, produce & canned goods in stock.

I went back to the store I went to yesterday and tit was definitely showing the effect of the weekend.  No TP now, and the shells were definitely more empty.  It's an interesting study of the foods that are the "last choice" -  such as unsalted saltines and whole grain Ritz crackers.   Still plenty of canned fruit cocktail to go around.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I went back to the store I went to yesterday and tit was definitely showing the effect of the weekend.  No TP now, and the shells were definitely more empty.  It's an interesting study of the foods that are the "last choice" -  such as unsalted saltines and whole grain Ritz crackers.   Still plenty of canned fruit cocktail to go around.

Interesting I noticed tofu availability was quite low. I was in a national regular grocery chain store.  The percentage of Asian-Canadians living here is noticeabley a lot lower and also census-wise.  Yea, no bags of flour. Just weird. Maybe people will be baking flour/other goods and making pancakes.

There was lots of nice meat to choose.