Nagging our home designer

Dirtyhip

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

That is annoying. I’m paying you to work for me and now I have to motivate you as well? Tell me again why I hired you to begin with.

This relationship is annoying me.

However, he is busy as hell. People are building homes here. I am happy he took the job.  Now, for him to just finish it.  I need truss diagrams and electrical diagrams.

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This relationship is annoying me.

However, he is busy as hell. People are building homes here. I am happy he took the job.  Now, for him to just finish it.  I need truss diagrams and electrical diagrams.

Have him set the deadlines for each one and follow up. When will we have x? By the 28th. Call on the 26th. Are we going to have x in two days? He will assign priorities to your projects. 

7 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Have him set the deadlines for each one and follow up. When will we have x? By the 28th. Call on the 26th. Are we going to have x in two days? He will assign priorities to your projects. 

He promised the plans by the end of the month but said "Keep being squeaky."  I asked to have them by Friday.  He says that my plan is very simple.  

It seems that if I do get squeaky, things happen.  Crossing my fingers for Friday.

"If I'm not getting things for you as fast as you need them, please let me know"   vs.  "keep squeaking"

Or how about, "I'm booked up to my eyeballs but will do everything I can to meet your timeline.  If I'm not, please let me know"

In a world of limited capacity, the squeaky wheel DOES get the grease.  I would be happy he cares enough to let you know the best way for you to respond.  His competitors are probably not even answering their phones.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

If I want things done faster, he encourages me to be squeaky.  He says things like keep squeaking.  So, I nag and then he gets more done.

This relationship is annoying.  We should have the actual plans by this Friday.

Just do your job.  

Small town problems.

People tend to be overworked and overscheduled these days, I like that he is telling you to stay on him.  He probably has many, many things he is tasked to do, keep at it!

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

People tend to be overworked and overscheduled these days, I like that he is telling you to stay on him.  He probably has many, many things he is tasked to do, keep at it!

It is FAR BETTER than having him NOT respond to calls, e-mails, nagging, etc..  Too many times, folks get the black hole treatment which is SUPER awful to deal with.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think this is the deal.  He does like me and we have worked together on projects in the past.  I am happy he took the job.  He is doing good work and creates what we have tasked him with.

Maybe it would be longer if I was not so noisy.  I have prodded him twice and moved deadlines up.  We have had only a few changes to the plan.  Better than this 400 sq foot cabin that another person is doing that had 25 changes for a build that is like $300 a sq. ft.  We all laughed because the footprint is identical to a mobile home.  Although, the roof will be more interesting with that porch. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It is FAR BETTER than having him NOT respond to calls, e-mails, nagging, etc..  Too many times, folks get the black hole treatment which is SUPER awful to deal with.

Agreed.  He always responds.

Maybe, I am impatient.  :D

Working with contractors locally I just say his first name and they all know who I am talking about.  I think a lot of people are tugging at him.

He replied to my latest nag.  He thanked me for being squeaky and he said he would likely be done on Friday afternoon or possibly Monday. 

I said I could bring cash for the final payment if that was more attractive.  

Honestly, I don't think he is that motivated for greenbacks.  I think the guy is very well set.

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

People are building homes here.

How about the general contractors?  Are they super busy too? 

If you haven't selected one yet... a good question to ask would be something like; How many homes are you building over the next several months?   And... How long will it take you to build my home?   And...  Can we select a completion date in the contract?

It would be interesting to hear how they respond.

If your GC is building too many homes, you will think the home designer was a fast worker.   \

One thing we found out, our GC used the same subcontractors for all of his building.  Sometimes, we were waiting for a contractor (like the tile guy) to finish another home before he could start on our home.