Chris Nikic

Airehead

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

He cut it close on the cut off times for the swim and ride.  Hope he's a "fast" runner.  Only has just over 7 hours.

Agreed. Run is his strongest sport. He has accomplished so much for himself and for others. I really hope he falls asleep tonight as an Ironman. 

• Heart 2

A bit of coverage over at Triathlete's site - a brief post race interview and a story leading up to the race.

image.thumb.png.cb92ac6bc13f1129c6523d284c6621e3.png

A lot of people needed a really good story this year, and 21-year-old Chris Nikic delivered just that on Saturday, when he became the first person with Down syndrome to finish an Ironman. Racing alongside his coach and guide, Dan Grieb (a 16-time Ironman finisher), Nikic overcame high surf, a crash on the bike, and muggy conditions on the run to finish with just 14 minutes left to spare before the 17-hour cutoff.

“The run was really awesome because of all the people cheering for me,” Nikic said. “And when I got to the end, I just started running faster because of all the people cheering. I was so excited to hear them say, ‘You are an Ironman.’”

According to Grieb, Nikic had a spill on the bike while going downhill at about 19 mph. His knees were pretty scuffed up, but the thought of not getting back on the bike never crossed his mind.

“We engage in a lot of banter on the course to keep him going,” Grieb said. “At one point he said the S-word, and that turned into a four-hour conversation. That back and forth banter is how we get through the tough spots, like riding up a hill or a crash.”

Like most first-time Ironman finishers, Nikic is left with some blisters on his ankles and feet, but said he otherwise felt pretty good when he woke up the following morning. Don’t expect him to be the one-and-done Ironman type, either. He already has his sights set on the Ironman World Championship next October, as well as continuing his work as a public speaker. It’s a story people are clearly eager to follow. Over the course of the weekend, 30,000 people tuned in live to watch Ironman’s Facebook coverage of his finish—and Nikic went from 20,000 to 74,000 followers on Instagram. You can continue to follow Nikic’s journey at @chrisnikic.

image.thumb.png.0666d9c536349b46469ae6ef8f3a8bd4.png