A new trail camera

maddmaxx

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Testing womaxx's new trail camera this morning for daylight shots.  It seems pretty good with better color rendition than the old one.  This was a pretty tough pic for contrast reasons.

May be an image of bird and outdoors

I see a skunk, peacock, and pileated woodpecker. Is that it?

1 hour ago, smudge said:

That IS a good pic. What camera does she have?

My new one is doing well. Not much action though. I was originally using one of HoSmudge's cameras, Moultrie A35. It's at the gate now. 

IMG_20210509_131517.thumb.jpg.3a3ec8129c4226c6acc471f951bc5b5a.jpg

IMG_20210509_131526.thumb.jpg.33de4f6922aef0617ea18abec8f3eb94.jpgIMG_20210509_131507.thumb.jpg.d49fc6f23e23d84f982cb8ea2b7561e7.jpg

Guardepro A3.  It came with good reviews and the fastest shutter speed I could find.  I defied my own advice and went with lowglow leds (invisible) because we've been setting up much closer to the action.  The long range non low glow Moultrie produced too much of a search light effect and made the center of the picture too bright.  We will see how the new one works tonight.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I really need a trail camera to spy on my animal friends.  What should be my primary considerations?

Weatherproof, reliable, high resolution pictures.  What comes after that is where and when you will use it.  I notice that my new camera has less overhang above the lens than the older one.  During the rain last night the lens got much wetter and the pictures got more blurry.  This is not a big deal if it were operating under some additional shelter but out in the open it may make a difference in picture quality.  The distance from the animals also matters.  Low Glow (invisible to the eye) flash has a shorter range than non low glow.  Normally low glow cameras are designated with an "i" after the model or name.  These things can eat batteries so Energizer Lithiums are a must.

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Weatherproof, reliable, high resolution pictures.  What comes after that is where and when you will use it.  I notice that my new camera has less overhang above the lens than the older one.  During the rain last night the lens got much wetter and the pictures got more blurry.  This is not a big deal if it were operating under some additional shelter but out in the open it may make a difference in picture quality.  The distance from the animals also matters.  Low Glow (invisible to the eye) flash has a shorter range than non low glow.  Normally low glow cameras are designated with an "i" after the model or name.  These things can eat batteries so Energizer Lithiums are a must.

thanks

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, smudge said:

Very nice daytime pics!

Are you going to build a little roof over it for nighttime pics when it's raining? :)

Unless I learn a lot more about both it appears that one is a better night time camera and the other is a better daytime camera.  Can you say 24 hour coverage? I might contemplate building a small lens shield/hood onto the camera to protect the lens a bit but most of these cameras get blurred in the rain.

• Heart 1